Is War A Possiblity In S.america

Discussion in 'International News' started by Exit16W, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Exit16W

Exit16W New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Reston VA
    With tension mounting with Columbia, Ecuador, and Venezuela does anyone believe war can breakout? What I do not understand what does this have to do with Venezuela? Chavez is spouting off his rhetoric when nothing was done to Venezuela. He seems to be defending the FARC who for 40 years have been waging war in Columbia and funding it with cocaine trade and kidnaps for ransom is that what he considers Heroes? I personally think that Venezuela and Equador would be making a mistake in waging war against Columbia who has been at war for 40 years and is experienced in war and has US equipment to wage that war.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080303/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/venezuela_colombia

2. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chavez allows FARC to operate freely along the Venezuelan border with Columbia and inland a ways as well. He is amazing troops there to send a message to Columbia to leave FARC Alone in Venezuela.

******** FARC...

3. Matt in the Hat

Matt in the Hat Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Chavez needs to stop funding FARC, stop kidnapping Colombians, stop crossing the Colombian border to make trouble (It's happening in both directions folks)

The US, no matter the persident, will destroy this man should he go after Uribe.

My problem is that the rest of South America refuses to refute this 2 bit dictator. That's disturbing.

4. Exit16W

Exit16W New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Reston VA
    He's got the Oil and hates the US so he is a friend of convenience.

5. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe if the US had a positive foriegn policy, and some time and energy to devote to South America, Chavez could be better dealt with (diplomatically speaking). Oh yeah, and a SOS who actually could perform her duties.

Our relations in the south will improve dramatically once Obama takes over next year.

6. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chavez funding FARC has very little to do with Bush being president. But let's expand. What would President Obama do about this situation without abandoning our greatest ally in South America?

Because last time he was asked (IIRC), he said he didn't know enough about the region to make a judgement.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow, I didn't know about Chavez' role in supporting FARC. I had thought he was...well, not my favorite guy in the world, but more a figure for right wingers to froth over than someone I oughta hate.

I feel like a rather poor news consumer.

Anyway, THIS is something I'd like to see our gvt. act on, to try to undercut Ven's support of FARC. First, it's morally right. Second, it's in our interest to promote stability in SA. Finally, it's in our interest to stifle these types of groups.

8. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chavez is a fool. Basically, he's laid his cards on the table and publicly announced his support for Farc.

9. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Chavez is trying to be an international player and he is using his oil to peddle influence. He has also made favorable loans to other Latin American countries, in exchange for their political support. It is a bit of a game. For example, in Argentina the Kirchners are playing him in a way, trying to use his desire for influence to their advantage, to get freebies from Venezuela, but they also do sympathize with him ideologically to a certain extent.

The thing is, oil is now overpriced worldwide, and he is benefiting from it. He is using it to buy influence everywhere. When the oil bubble bursts, his costly games will be over and Venezuela's economy will be in deep shit.

10. PhillyQuakesFan

PhillyQuakesFan New Member

Jun 25, 2007
    Delaware County, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There are several leftist governments in SA that may be closer to Chavez's ideology economically, but most of them are smart enough to avoid going around deliberately pissing off the US (or, by extension, Colombia).

11. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    :rolleyes: The U.S. puts more money into Chavez's pockets than all of South America combined.

12. saosebastiao

saosebastiao New Member

May 22, 2005
    Somebody needs to compile a list of Chavez's funnies. It would entertain me for days.

13. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's your point?

14. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    You're being a bit of an Ugly American, chastizing SA nations for not condemning Chavez while your nation bankrolls him.

15. Matt in the Hat

Staff Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't bought gas from a Citgo in years. I'm not bankrolling anyone.

16. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Chavez makes the same money whether you buy Citgo or not. Educate yourself on the mechanics of the oil & gas industry.

Nevertheless, yours was a silly comment. South America is doing exactly what it needs to do: nod diplomatically while Chavez sinks himself.

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Actually, Chavez passes the money around and uses it to buy influence, but you're right, it is American money. (At least a big chunk of it is.)

18. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    He's pretty much paid Argentina's debt from the economic crisis in the early 2000's. :eek:
    It's completely the opposite. Most gov'ts in South America have learned from past mistakes and are for everything that Chavez would be against when the economy is concerned.

19. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Exactly. He is paying a high price for influence. But what is he getting in return? He gets some diplomatic support, in the short term. But in the long run Brazil and Argentina are not going to allow Venezuela to dictate what happens in South America. As I said, they are playing him.

20. Attacking Minded

Attacking Minded New Member

Jun 22, 2002
    Oh please.

21. Visca...

Visca... Member

Sep 13, 2004
    ATL
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    The same goes for him though. He condems, criticizes and bashes the US...yet he still sells to them.

Both are at fault, IMO. and both benefit :cool:

22. Exit16W

Exit16W New Member

Aug 27, 2005
    Reston VA
    What does Chavez would get out of a war with Columbia? I mean really what would happen to his leadership if he takes his country to war and losses? Could anyone seeing it strengthening his hold on leadership if he lost the war?

23. chibchab

chibchab Member

Jul 8, 2002
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

IMO Chavez gains from this posturing by diverting the Venezuelan people's attention from some unfavorable realities in their domestic economy. They have been experiencing shortages of many food items and the economy is not doing well.

The average Venezuelan is horrified by the prospect of war with Colombia and vice versa, as their is no bad blood among the average citizen. They consider eachother brothers, particularly those nearest to the border. Many families have members in both countries. Both citizenries are cultured and educated and reject the prospect of war at the hands of this clown.

Also, Colombia is Venezuela's second largest trading partner and rely on a list of Colombian products i.e. foods stuffs. Ther is even a Venezuelan pipeline running through Colombian soil. Any aggressions would cut both ways.

I think Colombia and Uribe are handling the situation with Chavez admirably. They're not responding to his provocations, seldom even mentioning his name in public. In the end, that must really infuriate Chavez, as he is poising himself as a regional leader, and here his poorer neighbor doesn't even give him the credibility to respond to his antics.

In the end, Colombia has an ace in the hole named the US. Hopefully, a change in government won't erode that relationship.

Ecuador is nothing for COlombia to worry about militarily...

24. FLFootballFan

FLFootballFan Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Club:
    Nacional de Medellin
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I wish the american society kept up with the kind of insults and ridiculous accusations that Chavez throws at the Colombian government...............His support of FARC is now evidenced not only by own admission, but by how friendly the members of his cabinet are towards FARC and it's leaders........One last thing, I wonder what would the american say if they knew that there are 3 americans kidnapped by FARC since about 4-5 yrs ago. All of this and the U.S has done nothing while these clowns use them as trophies, almost as merchandise, to leverage themselves........Truly sad.

Note: let me emphasize the fact that COLOMBIA is not spelled with a "U" like Columbia, South Carolina. Thank you

25. eric_appleby

eric_appleby Member+

Jun 11, 1999
    Down East
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Chavez is a blow hard. I hope he realizes if he starts a war he'll end up hanging from a street light by his feet. This is all about posturing.
    The fact is Farc has suffered tremendous losses the last 6 years. The Uribe administration has them on the run. Killing their number 2 man Reyes was a major blow. This accounts for the melt down by their ally Chavez.