Is transfer fee expense 1 of the big reasons why elite soccer players are earning relatively less...

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by pc4th, Feb 11, 2007.

1. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Is transfer fee expense 1 of the big reasons why elite soccer players are earning relatively les

You're wrong.

According to various news sources, Ballack is the world's highest paid player at 130,000 pounds a week in salary. Obviously, he is the highest paid player at Chelsea.

Until you provide a news source that say otherwise, I believe that 130,000 pounds a week is the most accurate.

VARIOUS NEWS SOURCES:
    Type Ballack and 130000 in Google news and got about 43 results from the last 1 month about his wages

http://news.google.com/news?hl=en&ned=us&ie=UTF-8&q=ballack+130,000

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/6297565.stm
    http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=218563
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=404498&cc=3888
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ma...A1YourView&xml=/sport/2007/01/20/sfnche20.xml

I think I rather believe Soccernet, BBC, Telegraph, goal.com than you.

2. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Is transfer fee expense 1 of the big reasons why elite soccer players are earning relatively les

No need to abolished the transfer fees. Just collusion of the top 20-30 players to all do Bosman would do it. Transfer fees can still take place but not with the 'elite' players.

All that it would take is that all the elite players (top 20-30 in the world like Henry, C. Ronaldo, Ronaldinho, Lampard, Messi...etc) decide ALWAYS go on a free transfer. As a result, the top 7-9 elite clubs in Europe (Chelsea, Man U, REal, Milan, Barca, Liverpool, etc...) would have around $20-40 mil each EXTRA each year to do whatever.

$40 mil extra a year / 5 players = $8 mil each per year
    $20 mil extra a year / 5 players = $4 mil each per year

The question is that if Man U, Chelsea, REal, Barca, Liverpool, Milan have $20-40 mil each year, what would they do with it? I believe they will spend the majority of that on players. Heck, they are spending 100% of that on PLAYERS NOW IN TERM OF TRANSFER FEES.

Winner: Elite players (top 20-30 in the world)

Loser: Selling clubs like PSV, Ajax, Lyon, and South American clubs.

Indifference: elite clubs (top 7-9 clubs in Europe). Doesn't matter if the player is making $20 mil or $10 mil as long as the TOTAL COST to them is the same.

3. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=355543
    Total cost of getting star players for 3 years [top 5 for 2005,2004...]

Total Cost = Annual Wages x 3 years + transfer fees
    Yearly Cost: Total cost / 3

YEARLY COST

Shevchenko: $30 mil a year ($57 mil transfer fees)
    John Obi Mikel: $16.6 mil per year ($29 million transfer fees)
    Carrick: $16.3 mil a year ($27 mil transfer fee)
    Ballack: $11 mil a year ($0 mil transfer fee)

Essien: $22.7 mil a year ($44 mil transfer fee)
    Shaun Wright-Phillips: $19.7 mil a year ($38 mil transfer fee)
    Michael Owen: $19.3 mil a year ($31 mil transfer fee)
    Sergio Ramos: $18 mil a year ($33 mil transfer fee)
    Robinho: $17 mil a year ($30 mil transfer fee)

Drogbar: $21.3 mil a year ($43 mil transfer fee)
    Rooney: $19 mil a year ($36 mil transfer fee)
    Carvalho: $19 mil a year ($36 mil transfer fee)
    Eto'o: $19 mil a year ($33 mil transfer fee)
    Emerson: $18 mil a year ($30 mil transfer fee)

The salary for the above players are usually about half.

BASEBALL

YEARLY COST

Rodriguez, Alex $ 26,000,000 (ZERO TRANSFER FEE)
    Bonds, Barry $ 22,000,000 (ZERO TRANSFER FEE)
    Ramirez, Manny $ 22,000,000 (ZERO TRANSFER FEE)
    Jeter, Derek $ 19,600,000 (ZERO TRANSFER FEE)
    Mussina, Mike $ 19,000,000 (ZERO TRANSFER FEE)
    Bagwell, Jeff $ 18,000,000 (ZERO TRANSFER FEE)
    Clemens, Roger $ 18,000,000 (ZERO TRANSFER FEE)
    Sosa, Sammy $ 17,000,000 (ZERO TRANSFER FEE)
    Matsuzaka $16,000,000 ((($9,000,000 in salary and $51 mil posting fee)

posting fee = transfer fee (don't know why baseball has a different term than soccer).

4. StarStopper

StarStopper Member

Oct 30, 2006

You obviously know very little about this topic. :rolleyes:

Matsuzaka IS and WILL be a rookie upon his first year in MLB.

IF not, then how in the world did Kazuhiro Sasaki win AL rookie of the year honours at the very tender age of 32 after playing for 10 years in Japan???

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/baseball/mlb/news/2000/11/06/sasaki_roy_ap/

Same thing for Ichiro as a 27 yr old rookie?!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ichiro_Suzuki

Hideo Nomo?!? Also 27 yrs old when he won NL rookie of the year?!?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hideo_Nomo

Try sticking to the facts buddy... ;)

5. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia

the only thing i don't get is why he is so obsessed with it, and why people care to respond.

6. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005

Who's to say they'd pay much more than $9 million if he was on a free?

And more importantly, stop someone else signing him.

7. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005

Problem is, if you run your contract out, by then all the teams who need you may have bought someone else instead, so you're left with nowhere to go.

For instance, let's say if Hargreaves ran his contract out at Bayern, but by then United had got someone else in to do his job.

They lose the ability to get a player now, when they need them, rather than later, when they don't.

8. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He's a top of the rotation pitcher that many teams want. He's the MVP of the World Baseball Classic. He's one of the best pitchers in the world. He's VERY popular in Japan which can only benefit the team that get him (see Ichiro in Seattle and Matsue (sp?) in New York. And he is only worth $9 mil a year? Give me a break.

For $14 mil a year, there will be several teams lining up to get him in a heartbeat.

I agree with you on that one. By giving away $51 mil in transfer fee, the Red Sox stopped their rival from signing him.

9. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What if that someone else isn't good enough and United wants Hargreaves?

What if another elite clubs want him? Manchester United can't be the only team that in need of a player like Hargreaves.

Also, is Hargreaves even one of the top 20-30 players in the world? Since I don't follow European soccer much, I have no idea.

10. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

Could you even try to grasp the idea that just because a club doesn't have to pay a transfer fee for a player, it doesn't mean they are automatically willing to double his salary.

Could you even offer the merest glimmer of the taking the hint that the huge differences in salaries that exist in US sports are there for cultural reasons and are completely accepted, and that attitude doesn't exist elsewhere.

Could you possibly attempt to work into your thinking the demand for payment parity, as seen at Chelsea with players wanting to be brought up to Ballack's level, and how that would be a massive disincentive to any club presented with the "opportunity" of paying a top player a comparibly massive salary.

11. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite

We have no idea if that's true.

A meaningless tournament no one pays any attention to.

We know he's almost certainly NOT that.

Actually, he took a longer deal for a bit of a reduced salary. He's not especially young and no one knows how well he's going to play in major leagues. Japanese players have historically received smaller salaries in MLB than their performance in Japan would suggest. For every Ichiro, there's been a Hideki Irabu. And lets also not forget that the last Japanese pitcher to make it big - Hideo Nomo - regressed significantly as his career went on.
    The argument you're making is equal to "of course Sheva is worth 30M - he's one of the best strikers on the planet!". Well, we paid 30M for him. He probably is one of the best strikers on the planet, but playing in Italy and in England aren't the same, as he's discovering.

That's not true, actually. Jason Schmidt, a proven commodity is being paid that much. Why would you pay a completely unproven foreign player that much money?

The way that this auction worked was NOT a transfer fee, and you're wrong for thinking that it is. The two situations are not analogous.

I think part of the problem is that you don't know very much about baseball either. How is Randy Ramirez playing for Boston these days?

P.S. As far as Ballack's salary, none of the links you provided have any evidence. They just suggest that's how much he makes. And, they don't differentiate between his bonus and his salary, which is an illusion, since a player who transfers to another club receives part of the fee.

12. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia

That’s baseless speculation

13. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001

Its all speculation.

14. StarStopper

StarStopper Member

Oct 30, 2006

I think he meant Manny Ramirez.

15. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002

It's not in England at least. Any player who has not requested a transfer is entitled to a percentage of the fee (I think it's around 10%).

16. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

It depends on clauses in individual contracts - there's no fixed percentage every player gets. I think clubs are finding such clauses worthless anyway, as rather than staying "loyal" as clubs hoped they'd do instead of putting in a transfer request and demanding a transfer, players are just demanding a transfer without putting in an official request instead, so they can get an extra fee.

17. nicephoras

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001

I know exactly what he meant. But when was the last time you wrote "Real Madrid player Roger Beckham"?

18. The Rising Suun

The Rising Suun New Member

May 22, 2004
    Texas, USA

It's all classic pc4th. Make assumptions without stating them and attempting to force conclusions on us.

You've sure got a long way to go to be a "researcher."

19. StarStopper

StarStopper Member

Oct 30, 2006

Well, I'll at least give him credit for his...uhhh...creativity :D

20. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So if that pitcher isn't any good why is the Red Sox spending $102 million on him for 6 years (that's more than $15 mil a year)?

I don't follow baseball closely or AT ALL. But I do know that the elite players make a lot of money because there is no transfer fee.

How would the elite baseball players fare if the elite baseball teams have to reduce their payrolls by $30-40 mil a year?

ANSWER THE ABOVE QUESTION.

21. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

If I follow baseball at all, I would have got his name correct. The last 4-5 years, I have watched at most a few hours worth of baseball.

22. pc4th

pc4th New Member

Jun 14, 2003
    North Poll
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

ANSWER THIS QUESTION THEN.

How would the elite baseball players fare if the elite baseball teams have to reduce their payrolls by $30-40 mil a year?

For example, instead of having $200 mil a year to spend on players, the Yankees only have $160 mil?

Or What if the like of Manchester United, Chelsea, Real Madrid, Juventus, AC Milan have $200 mil a year to spend on players intead of $160 mil?

p.s. I am not forcing you to believe my conclusion. I am just trying to convince those who would listen.

23. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005

Transfer fees are zero sum. If teams are spending money on transfers then they're also receiving them, so the total amount of money available for wages stays the same.

24. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia

They are zero sum overall, but they are a loss for the bigger clubs and a gain for the smaller ones. They distribute the money from the top down.

25. StarStopper

StarStopper Member

Oct 30, 2006

There's something called "potential". It's sort of similar to how Lebron James received a $90million contract from Nike before he even stepped foot on a NBA court.

And how do you know this? You've yet to prove it.

And why would they have to reduce their payrolls? If the Red Sox have a $200m payroll and just went out and signed another player to a huge long term deal, do you really expect them to reduce their payroll for next season? They will find other means to replace that money that's been spent in order to remain competitive with the Yankees.

Let me show you an example in football.

Look at ManU's signings and transfers last summer.

In: Michael Carrick (Spurs) £18.6m
    Tomasz Kuszcak (West Brom) £3m

Out: Ruud Van Nistelrooy (Real Madrid) £10.2m
    Jonathan Spector (West Ham) £500k
    Paul McShane (West Brom) £500k
    Sylvain Ebanks-Blake (Plymouth) £500k
    Luke Steele (West Brom) Undisclosed

ManU spent £21.6m on signings but elimated some of that expenditure by receiving £12m in transfer fees. They also have at least 7 guys on loan and I'm not sure if they get compensation for that, but that's still not factoring in the length of player contracts and a whole host of issues. It's much more complex than you think.