Is this the end of supremacy ? hope not !

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by RUUDVN, Nov 8, 2004.

1. RUUDVN

RUUDVN BigSoccer Yellow Card

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    What will the players do after the end of the tour ? there's no league to play in :( , while the Europeans are getting better and exciting on their league competitions ..... since we need competitive matches in between competitions in order the show to be continued, does the USSF any plan for these girls ?

2. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    USSoccer will most like be bringing in mainly College players since they will be the only ones fit and match ready next year

3. sspeed

sspeed New Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Tempe
    The fact that there has not been a coaching change tells you all you need to know about what US soccer feels about the women and their program.

4. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    1. Good girls go to Europe.

2. Other good girls pile into the W-League

3. Very good girls approach Phil Anschutz/AEG about an auxillary MLS for women.

Hint: very good girls can say "Julie who?" without batting an eye.

5. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    Why don't we just professionalize the amateur league ..i think it's easier than building the new one, because the foundation is already there and so are the players and the fans ..

6. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC

by the way, MLS should see this as business opportunity, since it's average attandaces have been really svck every year, the double header w/ women side will generate more $$$ week in week out.

7. beefalo1980

beefalo1980 New Member

Sep 1, 2004
    pittsburgh, pa
    that sounds like a good idea, but it's really not. i play for a WPSL team, and i can tell you that about 75 percent of our players are still playing in college, and another 10 percent coach at a college. professionalizing the league would either mean a mass exodus from DI schools to the pros, or the teams would have to be revamped with new players.

the only good thing i think is the business model. each team is independently owned and must meet certain standards. the WUSA was weird because it's business plan was the opposite. the whole league sank or swam.

8. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I believe attendance rose this year, as did TV viewership.

The Freddy factor kicked in.

9. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    girls? at what point do these people graduate to being actual women?

10. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There will be a league next year with a full schedule. See the link in this post:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149208

It will be run a bit differently but it will be under WUSA management and control.

This may, or may not, help the US women to keep there level of play up but it will be a boon for women's soccer; just like the original WUSA was.

11. RUUDVN

Sep 3, 2004
    NYC
    excellent.