Is This REALLY Necessary?

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Bill Archer, Aug 17, 2002.

1. Bill Archer

Bill Archer BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 19, 2002
    Washington, NC
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Plowmanoo

Plowmanoo New Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Bill, they've been doing this for 3 years now, and have yet to have the pitch torn up noticeably. You'll probably see some faint lines (like after the All Star Classic in June), but there's a week to get ready for the next Crew match.

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i remember one year, one team refused to stand on the grass protection pads and made a big gash in the ground which was noticeable for a long time.

4. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    TWO pointyball games, back to back?

Damnit.

I think'd we rather have N'Sync in concert, so that only 1 little section of the field is destroyed. The NE match on 8/31 (one week later) is going to be affected by field conditions that would make Giants Stadium look respectable.

And btw Plow, was it always 2 games back to back on the same field, same day?

5. Plowmanoo

Plowmanoo New Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    Yep, been two games since they started it.

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    sadly bill, it may not be neccesary, but it will be a part of the crews history as long as hunt and co don't completely own the team and soccer doesn't draw 25k per game. in my opinion, and you have much more business savy than me (just look at my overdraft fees), the crew and hunt will do anything to bring money into this stadium as long as they need to in order to keep the crew/mls going for the time being.

7. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    You're American (I presume), I'm American, most of the people who post here are American, we're located in America...

It's ************ing football, you twit.

The Crew play soccer.

8. Elizabeth

Elizabeth New Member

Apr 22, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    10,000. For regular season games? Sot hey figure on about 5,000 fans per game. Those schools must love thier football.

If this is true...it's once agian about the $$$. If they can pull in $80,000 in a day...that pays for, oh, what,about 4 low tier Crew salaried players. Sadly. And don't knock my math...I'm guesstimating.

9. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    The High School games haven't really done any damage IMO ex. the one incident of not staying on the sideline protection. The real nasty damage was always done by the Browns - Bengals scrimmage. The field looked like the there had been a tank battle afterwards.

I can make a case for the local HS football, but I have a hard time believing there are lot's of crossover fans from the NFL and there can't be any local goodwill from that deal either. Who knows what the revenue stream looks like, but I'd be willing to work on Smith to keep that trash out.

10. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'd rather see more OSU soccer games than whatever else.

Interesting to see how the lacrosse stuff will go.

11. swims

swims Member

Even I wouldn't pay more than a couple of bucks, if that, to see OSU soccer.

That exhibition between OSU & SMU @ CCS last year was a complete yawner.

12. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    My God, chill.

It's just a nickname I have for the sport, knowing that football, to everyone else OUTSIDE of these United States, is played with a round ball with spots on it ;)

13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    you're just not as clever as you think you are andy.

14. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    And actually I didn't come up with it, someone else I know did.

15. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I think this is the first season where there has not been an NFL scrimmage at CCS...thank goodness!

The teen footballers have a track record of not trampling the field, so it should be OK come the Crew's next match.

16. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the younger football players are simply not as big as the NFL players. Mostly I think it's all the 400lb linemen that trash football fields. Wide receivers and such just run like a soccer player, to a degree.