Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by tsun23, Dec 24, 2014.

?

Do you think it's possible that Soccer referee's could be bias to team wearing red

1. Yes, this explains everything

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. No what a terrible conclusion

10 vote(s)
    76.9%
  1. tsun23

tsun23 Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    If there is bias, is it for or against the team in red?

espola repped this.
  3. tsun23

tsun23 Member

May 10, 2014
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    for the team in red

4. Yale

Yale Member

Nov 26, 2012
    Well, yeah, of course. In referee class, red is always attacking and blue is always defending. Naturally, red is gonna score more often. :D

But then, red is always the team that's offside as well (or is that the black triangle team?) so maybe it balances out.

5. oxwof

oxwof Member

Sep 6, 2014
    Ohio
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I've heard refs say that they subconsciously assume that teams in all black will be more skilled than their opponents. It's another step from there to actual bias, but I imagine it can be true.

6. Alberto

Alberto Member+

Feb 28, 2000
    Northern, New Jersey
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it's applicable only to teams dressed in rainbow colored uniforms with a unicorn symbol. ;)

uniqueconstraint and dadman repped this.
  7. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Well, around these parts, it seems that every team's primary or secondary color is black. Even in Lake Woebegone, it seems unlikely that every team is more skilled than every other team....

On the other hand, it means that I almost never wear my black jersey.

8. tomek75

tomek75 Member+

Aug 13, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If that's true, there is a simple solution. Hire colorblind referees :)

9. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    "Proved" is way too strong. A single study with tae kwon do officials found a bias.

10. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    The bolded part is already covered so problem solved! :whistling:

uniqueconstraint and J'can repped this.
  11. 2wheels

2wheels Member

Oct 4, 2005
    Anything is possible, everything is, the likelihood of soemthing happening must be significant in order to ascertain the correlation.

Without dwelling on the neuroscience aspect of decision making, which goes against/for one team (the bias), or the referee's perception/cognitive training and experience to handle excitation and arousal - clattering into the shins of the ball handler by opponent, or a tumble in the penalty area accompanied with the inevitable shouts, for instance - there are several factors that may cause bias. Try entering "referee bias in football" in your search engine, lots of information, some scientifically studied, some popular.

Also consider this, if there was no bias, one would have complete agreement in all the threads on this forum! Referees are people too, and people have opinions based on .., .., .., (fill in all that training, knowledge, poise, experience, awareness, confidence, etc etc here)