Is this going to be the worst Gold Cup ever?

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by Crazy_Yank, Apr 11, 2009.

1. rsvlpolo4

rsvlpolo4 Member

May 20, 2009
    Roseville, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with the idea of having this tournament every 4 years, but I don't think the Gold Cup generates enough money to pay for these type of stadiums in Central American countries.

I'm all for having the Gold Cup in Canada (Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Montreal, Toronto, etc.).

2. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I don't think he means the Gold Cup revenues alone would pay for these stadiums.
    But individual countries could see hosting a PRESTIGIOUS Gold Cup as a good enough reason to invest in improving their infrastructure, assuming that's needed.

3. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, first off, let's tackle the 2-4 years thing. We are not alone on the two year schedule.

1. UEFA. Has been every 4 years from the start.
    2. CONMEBOL. Copa America has been every two years for most of its history, they just changed it to once every four years recently (next time in 2001).

So that's the top two.

1. Africa. Cup of Nations is every two years.
    2. Asia. Asian Cup is every four years.
    3. CONCACAF. Still every two years.
    4. Oceania. Unsure. Looks like they switched from every two years to every four.

So there is a switch from 2 to 4 years under foot. CONMEBOL and Oceania have made the switch recently. We are CONCACAF, so we are a little slow. But Africa still plays every two years.

Also, for some of the island nations, the Caribbean Cup (Gold Cup qualifying) is one of the few times they see significant action, and having frequent Gold Cups allows those nations to have some meaningful games against same level competition.

And, while teams in contention for the WC may not send full strength sides, the other teams most certainly will. And as a US fan, I must say I'm more excited about the Gold Cup than CC. I want to see some of our younger players and MLS players shine, and hopefully break into the Nat team picture, or solidify a spot (Holden, Marshall, Rogers, etc).

2nd. Playing it in the US every year is a joke. And the only other time it is played elsewhere it is in Mexico. But right now, those are probably the only options. Saprissa is horrid (in terms of the pitch), and Canada also has a bunch of turf fields also.

Maybe if Jack would use some of the $$ to help upgrade facilities in Costa Rica, Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala, Panama, and the Caribbean, maybe they could host. But right now, it's the US and Mexico. It should alternate at the least.

4. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But as you say, real confederations do their tournament every four years.

No one is saying that the Caribbean Cup can't be as often as they want it to be.

So this tournament isn't worthy of sending our full team? So why should I pay "full team" money to go to Giants Stadium for the Gold Cup Final to see the U.S. play a B team? I'm not, and I hope no one else does either.

And if the game only draws 15K, that will look terrible for soccer in the country.

I'm sure you'd think it would be cool if Bob Bradley (if he bothers to coach in the thing, maybe an assistant can do it) called up a bunch of Crew players and they lost a bunch of games 10-0 and missed the MLS playoffs.

This tournament should have been last year, and then the U.S. would have sent its real players. I'm sure Mexico won't send its real players, seeing their position in the hexagonal. And I won't blame them.

5. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Thats correct. We want to get to the point eventually that people will WANT to host it, and lets face it the current way isn't working.

A stadium is a long term investment, sure if its for a tournament it will help out but once that is over it can help the local community, local club, the countries national team, and the countries overall football image. Over time it will pay itself back if they continue to use it.

This Hex shows me how exciting it could be to play in these other countries. We would actually look forward to this tournament :eek: :rolleyes:

6. suckafree8990

suckafree8990 Member

Aug 6, 2006
    houston
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    apologies for not reading through 13 previous pages of posts, hopefully i can get a quick answer to this question.

is the purpose of the gold cup the same as copa america? to declare a winning nation that'll go into the confederation cup the year prior to the wc? didn't the usa just win this competition in 07? whom are now going to be in south africa for the cc starting this weekend. so i'm just trying to understand why hold the competition twice within the 4 year grace period between world cups?

7. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no quick answer to that question. You'd be better off reading through the thread, because it's discussed at length.

No need for everyone to start repeating themselves.

8. Perndog2006

Perndog2006 Member+

Jul 24, 2006
    Nery Nut Ryder
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I think the US team should be home by 6/21 or 6/22

so they should have their A team ready for the gold cup

the gold cup starts for the US on 7/4

9. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It doesn't matter when they get back, the A team isn't playing.

The Euro based players need an off season, and the domestic/Scadanavian players shouldn't be taken away from their club teams for that long.

10. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Either way, there should be a few that'll perform double duty.

11. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Again...since when did the CONCACookie Cup became a good tournament?> :confused:

12. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know if this will be the best or worst of the Gold Cups. Seriously, we should all wait till it's over before we judge. Speaking of judging, the Australians will now be able to judge this tournament too.

http://www.setanta.com/au/ (in between the Copa Libertadores, and UEFA U-21 banners)

Has a Gold Cup ever received coverage from the other side of the world?

13. M3gatron redded

M3gatron redded Red Card

Jun 14, 2009
    brasil
    no.

14. TCNJFan

TCNJFan New Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Fairborn, OH
    This would work for CONCACAF. Here is how it works in Africa.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_-_CAF_Third_Round

Qualification for the continental championship is tied to World Cup qualification. The top team from each of the 5 groups goes to the World Cup, while the top three teams qualify for the continental championship.

If you took the 12 Second Round winners from CONCACAF World Cup qualification, you would just have to find a way to account for CONCACAF's non-FIFA members. You could do that with a play-in tournament during the Fourth Round of World Cup qualification.

You could hold the 2012/16/20... Gold Cup over the summer and you would just need to find a time to play the 2014/18/22... Gold Cup. Africa plays it in three weeks between the end of January and beginning of February. With that time frame, you could argue that it should be played somewhere warm, like Central America.

15. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    jajajaja it keeps getting worse...:D:rolleyes:

We need to let Guadaloupe get to the semifinals. According to our Secretary of the federation, Joseph Ramirez, teams that participate in the CONCACookie Cup tend to lose quite a bit of money. Costa Rica, for example, has been in the black since the tournament started and the others, save Mexico and the US, are at our level or worse.

In other words, a waste of money and time. :rolleyes:

http://www.diarioextra.com/2009/julio/15/deportes03.php

16. strobe_z

strobe_z New Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Edmonton, AB
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    That's not true. I watched Gold Cup 2000 on TV in Korea. Of course it helped that the Korean team was one of the invited teams that participated...

17. MRschizoid21

MRschizoid21 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Copa America historically every two years, only now changing to maybe every 4 years, included this gem:
    It was resolved that the Copa America will be disputed every four years from now on, so the following tournament after Venezuela will be in 2011. Nevertheless, if conditions were to exist so that an extraordinary Copa America can be played, the possibility will be evaluated, provided it fills the expectations and safeguards the interest of the ten associations.
    http://www.conmebol.com/articulos_ver.jsp?id=60246&slangab=E

And we also have the African Cup every two years.:rolleyes:

18. Taly

Taly Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Big Al's Brewery, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a feeling CONCACRAP will be stubborn and be the last remaining region that will have the regional tournament every 2 years.

19. gethomas3

gethomas3 Red Card

Aug 3, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
  20. M3gatron redded

M3gatron redded Red Card

Jun 14, 2009
    brasil