Is this going to be the worst Gold Cup ever?

Discussion in 'Gold Cup' started by Crazy_Yank, Apr 11, 2009.

1. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    nope,i know USA has a pretty good record against us, i dont deny solid facts,like mlsers deny that our league always beat the crap out of them and they always make excuses,I ACCEPT THEY HAVE A HIGH % OF CHANCES IN BEATING US AT NATIONAL LEVEL,but then i remember we have won ,the copa confederaciones,u17 championship,done pretty good participations in copa america and libertadores,won 1 sudamericana,AND IN WORLD CUPS BESIDES THAT 2002 USA ARE 3 AND OUT ALWAYS, I just call it as i see it, AND I SEE THIS GOLD CUP AS A PILE OF CRAP, PLAYED IN A SINGLE COUNTRY ALWAYS,but since FMFs decision, its time to see this tournament again unless sponsors force the conmebol to seek reconciliation,but hey im just posting my humble opinion :rolleyes:

2. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    ^^^^^ yeh but no central american country (i think) can hold this event. niether can a carribien country. and as for in Mexico....i wont want it thier!!:p since our chance are low in beating you guys.

3. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    two or three central american countries together could do it,it doesnt has to be a single country organazing it, and i would not want mexico organizing it,we would have too much advantage and then mexico would not play at its best to win it, but if its in central america,then you guys would have a higher % chances in winning it,and mexico would be force to take it very very seriously (plus there is a lot of rivalry so i think there would be a lot of people in the stadiums), especialy since what has been happening lately beteween FMF and conmebol,that way mexico gets good competition and we are not force to seek competition in south america.

4. Moises

Moises Member

Feb 8, 2007
    miami
    Club:
    AC Milan
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    ^ like the last euro......good point

5. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

u see,there is always a way to make it work, but concacaf only seeks money and it seems that they dont want this tourney to get a little bit of prestige, i think they like mediocre things,of course money its necesary, but it also needs credibility, the tourney can be one tme in USA to get the money that the stupid jack warner loves so much, and one time in central america to get the credibility that this tourney desperately needs.

6. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but isn't that money funneled back to the poorer federations in the region? At least some of it after corruption gets its take?

The smaller federations probably benefit more from their take from the tourney held in the US than they would if the hosted it on their own soil. Hell, if they hosted it, they would probably lose money.

7. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

I would hope "YES" on your first statement, some of the $$ should trickle down.

To the second statement, this is true of the majority of CONCACAF nations, but no so of Mexico and Canada, I'm sure C.R. and Honduras could, if not independently, jointly host a decent tournament. And while the sponsorship may not be as juicy in some Central American countries, the interest level and respecatability would go up. Copa America was not necessarily rotated at first, it seems now that they are trying to do that.

But while there is that much corruption in CONCACAF, I can only dream.

/p

8. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    well in order to make something better,sometimes you have to make sacrifices and take risks, mexico made many sacrifices to enter south american tourneys in order to get prestige, and invest and many times lost a lot of money, because we were hungry for prestige and credibility, but if two or three countries hosts this crappy tourney i dont think they would lost money, they would not make a lot of money,but the tourney would gain credibility,
    the tourney being held in central america wouldnt make that much money as if it was held in the USA ,but it wouldnt be a total loss either, but stupid retarded jack dont want concacaf to grow,and everyone wonders why mexico seeks competition outside concacaf.
    why do you think copa america is rotaded beteween the conmebol members,despite the fact that everyone knows in which countries it would be a succes and in which ones not, thats because even when conmebol is also corrupted and backsttabers,they understand that its not all completely about money, you have to give credibility to the tourney also.

9. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I don't buy it. Costa Rica could host it, so could Honduras. Or if push comes to shove, we could have Costa Rica/Panama host it, or Honduras/Guate/ES. But there has to be an incentive for these countries to want to host it, something to make it an attractive proposition to rotate it around. Otherwise, everybody will stay content with the same old mediocre Mickey Mouse crap we have today.

10. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    I've asked for proof of this before, and never got any. I'm willing to bet the ammount of money that actually trickles down to the individual federations is barely enough for them to break even with travelling and all that. I'd LOVE to be proved wrong on that, though.

11. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I am assuming you support C.R.

I'm going to venture out and say you don't live in C.R., out farther on the limb and say, you've never been there.

What kind of motivation are you talking about? How about the opportunity to see your NT play in an (albeit crappy) international tournament at home.

How about a better chance to win? (having home field advantage)

How about the atmosphere?

Think of it from the stanpoint of most Costa Ricans (which is the people who actually live in C.R.)

/p

12. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    Correct.

You couldn't be more wrong if you tried. Not sure why you would even say that :confused:

I'm thinking the host federation has to be 'convinced' that hosting this tournament is a good thing. As far as I know, no other nation is interested in hosting this right now. Maybe at the beginning (until the tournament becomes more prestigious and desirable) concacaf/Jack Warner have to be willing to part with a sizable chunk of the broadcast rights and advertising revenues to provide the host federation with a cash influx that would make hosting it an attractive proposition, or something along those lines.
    Unless you happen to know for a fact that other countries have consistantly asked to be hosts only to be denied.

All fine and dandy, and should come for free for the host. But again, those reasons alone don't seem to be good enough so far for other hosts to surface.
    As a Costa Rican who actually lives in Costa Rica, that's all I'm doing. Thank you for asking.

13. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol, never has that saying about "assuming" been more true.

Let me take a seat:

[​IMG]

EDIT:
    Dang it, I missed the show. Heh, that's what I get for leaving tabs open and not refreshing before posting.

14. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
    How about Jamaica co-hosting with Trinidad?

15. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sorry, no intention to offend you. A lot of people who post do not reside in the nation which they support and their views are heavily biased and often not at all represent the views of someone who lives there.

I have no proof of a Federation being turned down, however, one thing needs to enable another, more hosts --> more prestige --> more willing hosts...

I am not saying the Federation is doing everything right, they should spread the $$, but there needs to be cooperation from the different federations, otherwise having a mentality of $ first and foremost before a nation bids to host is exactly what we critizise about punckasschump Warner. Or saying this is a "Mickey Mouse tournament, so I won't bid it" only perpetuates this situation.

uhh, Daaavvve...the "ass-u-me" saying I know, is only used when the assumption made was incorrect, in this case it was true, so not sure what your point is if you were even trying to make one.

I ventured to say (not assumed) he was not in C.R. Something I'll choose not to challenge only because I'll trust what Ponch is saying.

/p

16. aguimarães

aguimarães Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Club:
    LD Alajuelense
    The islands are a good distance from each other don't get along very well. Though I wouldn't put it past Warner...

17. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    But the problem is that the way things are right now, for whatever reasons, no potential hosts are coming forward asking for it, which is a shame, and I think speaks volumes about how badly mediocre the region is.
    So if concacaf really wanted to have a real tournament instead of the current crappy one, they would have to convince the individual federations that it's in their best interest to step up and bid to be hosts. In my mind, nothing would do the trick better than money, but there might be other options.
    In the meantime, everybody will just be content to have these glorified friendlies in the US every other year and call it a tournament.

18. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the mix of A and B teams, I think this Gold Cup will suprise us all. Think of it as one of those indie films that comes out of nowhere to make a lot of money and many win oscars.

Also, I think the next Gold Cup should be in the Caribbean. Jamaica has a 40,000 seat stadium. TnT has one with nearly 30,000 seats. Plenty of decently sized Cricket stadums that could easily sit 20,000 (i.e Barbados, Grenada, etc..). While it could use better lighting, Cuba has a stadium as well. And just so Mexicans and Americans aren't left out of Caribbean hosting fun, Canun and Miami could host matches as well.

19. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's a difference? You made two assumptions. One was incorrect. Your entire post was based on the "assumption" that he's not from CR and doesn't live there. Otherwise you're just arguing semantics. But that's okay, whatever lets you sleep at night.

You realize, you could have just asked him first, right? But then you wouldn't have gotten to say the things that were completely invalidated by the fact that he does live in CR. You'd rather generalize, like this:

"A lot of people who post do not reside in the nation which they support and their views are heavily biased and often not at all represent the views of someone who lives there."

Instead of actually hearing the truth.

But that's okay, you're right, I'm wrong. I'll give you the last word in this, too.

Sure, they have the capacity, but how many would actually attend the matches?

20. ja2ny

ja2ny Member

Aug 5, 2008
    long Island,N.Y.

Says who?

21. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like everyone here is saying, give them some kind of incintive to want to host. And then advertise the hell out of it. Arrange travel packages. After all it's not about attendance, it's about mixing things up. 3 groups can go to 3 islands (Jamaica, TnT, Grenada). Quarters go to Cuba and Puerto Rico, semis in Cancun and finals in Florida (or vice versa).

Besides, what traveling fan wouldn't want to go to some of these places to support their respective teams?

22. City Dave

City Dave Member

Jan 26, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, and how many traveling fans are there? Especially in this confederation?

23. ysantos

ysantos Member

United States
    Sep 24, 2006
    Gardena
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. I echo your sentiment. But at the same time, something new should be tried. Make the matches seem important enough and the fans will show up. It worked for the 94 World Cup.

And if everything fails, then everything can go back to the way it was and all the doubters, haters, and those who never tire of using the term "CONCACRAP" can sleep easy at night.

All in all I just want to see a good tournament. I could care less where it is staged.

24. elcibernetico24

Jun 28, 2008
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    there are many,mexicans i can garantee that,we are travelers ,but only if its worth the tourney,very little fans travel for the concacrap tourney because the crappy tourneys have no credibility, who would waste their money in this crappy tourney,FIRST CONCACAF HAS TO GIVE CREDIBILITY TO THE TOURNEY,GIVE THE OPORTUNITY TO OTHER COUNTRIES TO ORGANIZE IT,(EVEN IF IT MEANS SACRIFICE A LITTLE MONEY,they can use some of the money the corrupted jack steals),and then once the tourney has won some credibility then the people will spend money and travel in masses to see the tourney, but as it is right now, i would not give a cent for this pile of crap called gold cup.

25. PARS

PARS Moderator
    Staff Member

Jul 3, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Club:
    CF Rayados de Monterrey
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Re-read the post Einstein. Assumed support for C.R., which was correct. The other statement was a wild guess, and the rest of the post is not based on any of those, it is a general statement about why (any nation) should be motivated to host a tournament.

Neg-Rep? really? For a post that was not even addressing you? How petty is that, LOL, didn't realize that being wrong affected you so much, this forum must be the highlight of your day... Is city Dave smarter and wittier than town Dave, if so God help us...get a life Daavvve.

/p