is there any way to get sky sports in the USA?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by toon_soldier_86, Sep 1, 2005.

1. toon_soldier_86

toon_soldier_86 New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    THE BAY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland
    is there any way to get sky sports channels in the USA, i asked dish network but they said no.
    HELP ME PLEASE!!! :( :D

2. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You get an hour of Sky Sports News on Fox Soccer Channel and some games on FSC and PPV.

3. Suss

Suss Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 11, 2003
    New York
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    No. But between FSC, Gol TV, and Sentana USA you can see just as much football as you would living in England.

4. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Go to a company that is a satellite dish company, not Dishnewtwork or Direct. There are companies that can supply you with large form dishes and get you additional access. They may be able to help you.

5. Rewinder

Rewinder Member+

Jun 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

wouldnt that cost thousands and thousands of dollars if it were really possible

6. Alan_V

Alan_V Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Anaheim, CA via NJ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't know what it would cost. I've got a buddy who has a larger dish and got it about 15 years ago. I've seen other homes with large dishes. Doesn't cost anything to ask though. The big thing is satellite location. If his dish can't 'see' a satellite that is getting Sky's signal, it won't matter.

7. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    I'll stick my webcam in the living room for a small monthly fee.

But I get first dibs on which channel. So you'd better like Rugby and Cricket too.

8. Zaphkiel

Zaphkiel Self-hating Asian

Mar 3, 2005
    ZOMG NONE!!!11
    Like just get a BUD (big ugly dish) those services are a bit more expsneive..and I do believe you have to manually turn it towards which satelite you want it to point at.

However, if you are stuck with dish network or direcTV I'd get direcTV...

You get Setana Sports (A direcTV only thing...has Champions League games I do believe, and MUTV and Chelsea TV..) GOL TV and FSC so you would pretty much be set.

9. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    What about Darts? Don't deprive me of the genius of Phil "The Power" Taylor.

10. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Darts? Sorry, I'm not working class.

11. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I believe we get to see more actual live games, over here, with the restrictions that are in place in England these days.

12. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Darts, is Europes Nascar!

13. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    That is SUCH a classically English response. :D :D :D

14. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    ;)

Intentionally, I feel compelled to add.

15. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nah, that's speedway. Darts is Europe's dwarf-tossing.

16. bigwilly087

bigwilly087 Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Club:
    Swansea City AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

what kind of restrictions are in place? is it like in the US for NFL, where local markets get local teams, and then u can purchase an NFL sunday ticket type package?

17. king_saladin

king_saladin New Member

Oct 5, 2004
    MI, USA
    Too bad the sound quality of the football in the USA is typically a bit worse.

18. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    There are restrictions on showing live games at times traditionally associated with actually going to the match. Principally, 3pm on a Saturday (when, in days of yore, all football would be played) is a kick-off time protected by a rule that says no live football may be shown on television at that time, so that people don't stay at home rather than go to the ground. That's the reason why we have so many Sunday, Saturday morning and Monday evening kick-offs.

Not that it actually amounts to much - most cities have pubs that show the Norwegian or Middle Eastern satellite feeds at that time (which are of course not affected by those domestic rules).

19. reefur

reefur Member

Jan 26, 2005
    www.reefur.com
    Club:
    Busan I Park
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    even if u have dishnetwork you can still get setanta sports.....they(setanta) have a provider who will give u channel by channel and offers setanta for 15$ a month....plus dishnetwork often carries many world cup qualifier matches not seen on directv and the prem package is cheaper with dishnetwork...dishnetwork also offers the only current HDTV soccer channel....worldsport..they show la liga,internationals,uefa cup,and other football all in HDTV and other sports.....in the end directv and dish both have their pros n cons for football but you should be fine either way but neither offer sky.....but id inquire in shady parts of town about one of those many sattelite providers who seem to offer content not normally offered in the usa..generally illegal...but a good way to get things like cctv...sky....etc....good luck..gettin quality football in the usa can be a bit tough in some areas....

20. Pilum

Pilum New Member

Jul 22, 2005
    Runcorn
    Posted this elsewhere, but was in an obscure part of BS, so a quick repeat:
    More CL games (at least) available online. And free on ITV too, apparently. OK, it's not exactly the Premier League if that's what some are after, but it's a start...

21. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    You can get sky on TV in America by a simple way:

dig a tunnel on earth between North America and Europe, such that you can see the Astra (at 24 E) satellite; and the tunnel has to be a straight line...

Simply put, Astra is below the horizon in America. You cannot see the bird, so you cannot get any signal from that satellite. Sky Sports is meant for U.K., not for America. The footie games on Sky Sports have already been purchased by other carriers in America, for exclusive broadcasting in this country. They are Fox Sports International (to be seen on FSC and PPV), and Setanta Sports.

22. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is Sky Sports even available on platforms other than Sky in the first place?

23. Toon³

Toon³ Member

Dec 27, 2002
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    You can get it on Telewest and NTL both cable companies.

24. toon_soldier_86

toon_soldier_86 New Member

Jul 21, 2005
    THE BAY
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Northern Ireland

the reason i asked that smart ass was because fsc is only playing 1 or 2 epl games this week and the ppv packedge is $300. i also like watching sky sports news. :D

25. rangers00

rangers00 Member

Jun 1, 2000
    FSC has Sky sports news too...

This is America. If you don't want to pay for niche contents, follow baseball.

It's really funny that you must be the first one who think of watching the premiership on Sky Sports in the U.S. to avoid paying the $300... Why hasn't anyone else in America thought of that? Are those people who pay for the season package "sheep"?