Is there an era in which either Europe or S-A was truly dominant ?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by tony-soprano37, Sep 24, 2013.

1. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Varela is a 40's player. Perhaps Néstor Rossi would be a more suitable candidate for the DM position.

msioux75 repped this.
  2. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    That's a phenomenon that has become a pattern, at the very top level about individualities South America usually has the advantage, but to extend the range Europe balances the equation.

3. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Or they get more hype. For example: for many Didi is a top 20 player of all-time, but what separates him from Xavi? The difference isn't that big, surely. Neither of them were complete players too, and needed a certain role to excel (Didi couldn't full-fill his potential as traditional inside-forward - they are really similar here in the way that they thrived in a 'limited' role).

4. comme

comme Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 21, 2003
    I said at the outset that I think its wrong to think in terms of either confederation "dominating". Someone was using the WC as their basis for discussion and had concluded that SA dominated the 90s which is to me, way off base.

At the top end South America can always put together a very strong side for any decade. That's obvious when you have Brazil and Argentina, but it's equally easy to put together a strong combined side for Italy and Germany for any decade, or Holland and England, France and Spain.

Overall I would refute the premise that either confederation would dominate in any single decade, if based solely on the best XI they can put together. In each decade it is easy to put together a remarkable XI for either confederation.

msioux75 repped this.
  5. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    #55 Gregoriak, Sep 27, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    Some numbers for the 1950s and 1960s:

South America vs. Europe

1950-1959

60 games in total
    35 games won by South Americans
    16 games won by Europeans
    9 games undecided

125 goals for S. America
    85 goals for Europe

Individual countries’ record (of S.American vs. European)

Argentina
    14 games: 9 won, 1 draw, 4 defeats (20:17 goals)

Bolivia
    no games

Brazil
    29 games: 20 won, 5 draws, 4 defeats (71:29 goals)

Chile
    5 games: 1 won, 4 defeats (5:8 goals)

Colombia
    no games

Ecuador
    no games

Paraguay
    5 games: 1 won, 2 draws, 2 defeats (11:16 goals)

Peru
    1 game: 1 won (4:1)

Uruguay
    6 games: 3 won, 1 draw, 2 defeats (14:14 goals)

Venezuela
    no games

1960-1969

118 games in total
    49 games won by South Americans
    45 games won by Europeans
    24 games undecided

172 goals for S. America
    189 goals for Europe

Individual countries’ record

Argentina
    22 games: 8 won, 8 draw, 6 defeats (23:22 goals)

Bolivia
    no games

Brazil
    44 games: 28 won, 8 draws, 8 defeats (96:59 goals)

Chile
    25 games: 10 won, 2 draws, 13 defeats (30:46 goals)

Colombia
    2 games: 1 draw, 1 defeat (4:9 goals)

Ecuador
    no games

Paraguay
    no games

Peru
    2 gamew: 2 defeats (1:7)

Uruguay
    23 games: 3 won, 5 draws, 15 defeats (18:46 goals)

Venezuela
    no games

celito, Perú FC and Pipiolo repped this.
  6. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    JamesBH11 repped this.
  7. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    results aren't everything.
    example 1954 germany won the worldcup but tis there anyone in his right mind sayign they where they ebst team in the world back then ?
    ofcourse not. hungary was.
    see what i mean ?

8. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    i think you under estimate severla european players from that decade.
    like i said pele was still very young in the 50's and not the pele from the 60's yet.
    and kopa for exampel truly is a legendary player. played many times rightwinger for madrid but was originally a playmaker.

you include schiafinno and didi in the top 25 for their positions.

well i dare to say that josef bozsik nd raymond kopa also are in the top 25 for their positions. easily.

so was paco gento generally ranked amongst the best 5 leftwingers of all time

9. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Didi is far greater than Xavi as an individual player and whose contributions at the WC are easily on a higher level. Didi's peers are Charlton, Gerson and Falcao.

I rank Schiaffino and Didi as top 25 of all time, not just by position. Bozkik, Kopa, Gento are all great players but not considered at such high ranking (certainly top 100 though). And the 17-year-old Pele was able to have a great WC in Sweden, he has three superb years during that decade: 57, 58 and 59.

10. Breitner'sWig

Breitner'sWig Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Define 'era'. If by 'era' you mean a series of ten years which have the first three digits in common, then no, neither continent has dominated the other. But more accurately that's called a decade. Eras are generally bookended by two significant events and I'm not sure what you classify as a significant event in football.

In terms of a shorter period I'd suggest the early-mid 70s, say about 72-76 as the biggest differential, in Europe's favour. But it's hardly fair to call that dominant.

I suppose it's almost bookended by the international careers of Pele and Maradona, so it kind of works out neatly in that respect.

Moishe, Pipiolo and msioux75 repped this.
  11. babaorum

babaorum Member+

Aug 20, 2005
    Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    On what basis do you rank Schiaffino and Didi that much ahead of Bokzik and Kopa ?

12. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    I can agree with Bozik ... but Kopa was often "underrated" by many ...
    Blame on his less successful WC58 (only if Pele was not there?) and blame on Di Stefano/Puskas to have taken all fame for Real ....

13. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    sorry but this is laughable.

gento is amongst the 5 best ver leftwingers considered y almost all people.
    kopa is a very very underrated player.
    as for bozsik........
    very few where so complete as him. he could defend he could be playmaker he did it all.
    ranked amongst the greatest midfielders of all time

14. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yeah I'm learning that on this forum opinions are valued a lot more than results.

[]__[]

15. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    To be fair, I think Pelé was already a world-class players as teenager at late 50's. It's one of the characteristics that makes his career so extraordinary.

16. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    indeed i ment a 10 yers period.
    i simply was wandering if there was a era in wich a south american team would prevail msot of the times over a european team or vice versa.

and i found that only a 1970's european squad would beat a 70's SA squad msot of the times.

in all other era's (counting 1950's and upwards) the 2 continents are almost evenly matched agaisnt eachother.
    no continent can easily be picked to beat the other

17. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    don't make a sarcasti comment if you disagree then com with a good argument.

like i said achievements isn't everything.
    hence my example.
    germany was worldchampion in 1954 a great achievement.

but wich nation was the strongest nation in the world in the earlie and mid 50's ???

thats hungary. quite simple and easie. would they play germany 10 times they woudl win at least 8.

thats what i ment with the saying achievements and trophees won should not be the only criteria to judge.

another example is bobby moore his trophee hall is quite empty compared to many lesser defenders who have won much more.
    if we only judge by achievements then many lesser player should eb ranked higher then bobby moore.
    ofcourse moore is much better.

so yes opinions count for something

18. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Personally, I'd say Zizinho is also a 40's player. The best South American inside-forward apart of Pelé and Schiaffino at 50's was probably Sívori.

msioux75 repped this.
  19. puertorricane

puertorricane Red Card

Feb 4, 2012
    Carolina PR
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    LOL so Germany won but in your mind they couldnt do it again. Once again we are back to assumptions and opinions.

[]__[]

20. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    you wanna be seriosu or jsut trolling ?

you really mean to say that because germany won the 1954 wc they where the best team in the world by then ?

ofcourse not.

ever heard of thigns as bad luck and such ? maybe failures from referees ? etc etc.

the winenr isn't alwasy the best man.

if you don't get that simple context tehn go to school again

21. Perú FC

Perú FC Member+

Nov 16, 2007
    Lima, Perú
    Well, I think that South America also produced an exciting generation at 60's. I imagine a team like: Mazurkiewicz (Carrizo); Djalma Santos (Carlos Alberto), Perfumo (Figueroa), Sacchi (Albrecht), Marzolini; Rattín (Gonçalves), Gérson (Ademir); Garrincha (Cubilla, Jairzinho), Spencer (Artime, Sanfilippo, Coutinho), Pelé (Tostao, Sívori, Rocha), Pepe (Joya, L. Sánchez), and I couldn't notice any obvious advantage at overall.

Pipiolo repped this.
  22. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    On the basis that they don't belong in a top 25 by anyone's ranking, whereas Schiaffino and Didi have at least a very strong argument for it.

Gento, Kopa and Bozsik are among the best ever at their positions, but still not top 25 of all time. Didi and Schiaffino have certainly strong claims for it, thus they are the greater players.

23. Gregoriak

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    One could forever pit names against each other or one could look at actual results.

I would give more weight to the latter.

24. tony-soprano37

Dec 5, 2008
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    this is nonsense.
    if you rank amongst the the best evr for you're position you should be in the top 25.
    FACT.
    this is proove why these all tiem lists made by most are simply worth nothing because most of you simply rank attacking players.
    shoudl yashin not be in the top 25 ever ?
    but you include didi and schiaffino ?
    especially bosik is the same level as didi and schiaffino
    FACT,
    actually thsi is not even debatable.

25. JamesBH11

JamesBH11 Member+

Sep 17, 2004
    You're right. Pele was an "uncrowned best player" from 58 to 61 and easily among the very top worldclass players
    Until 1962 where he showed great performance in libertadore and intercontinental cup he became "undisputed best player" of the 60's