Is there a future for MLS in Tampa?

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by SPL, Aug 26, 2002.

1. SPL

SPL New Member

Apr 28, 2000
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quick question. As a diehard Mutiny fan since day one, this has been an AWFULLY long and frustrating soccer summer (U.S. World Cup success aside). Back in January, when it was announced the league was folding my beloved Blues, I was hoping again hope that within a few months time some potential investor, SOMEBODY, would come forward publically and, at the very least, express interest in backing a movement to bring MLS back to Tampa (which I'm still convinced is a workable MLS market). It certainly would take somebody with very deep pockets, as building a soccer specific stadium would be a must. But almost 8 months later, that obviously hasn't happened. So I guess my question really is......Do I hold out hope that someday MLS will return to Tampa, even if its several years from now (ala Baltimore Colts/Ravens, Cleveland Browns, St. Louis Cardinals/Rams). Or should I have one last cry (metaphorically speaking, of course), face reality, and start following another MLS team?

2. BigJohn

BigJohn Member

Feb 18, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know it is tough to follow another team but how about the Rapids. Tim Hankinson is the coach and he was the beginning of the Mutinys turn around to become a competitive team before he was axed. I would like to see them win the cup for Tim and other former Mutes. If you can't get into the Rapids perhaps the Quakes. I root for Frank, Dom and Manny.

3. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    My answer is get the kleenex out, because it will be a long time before MLS is back in Tampa. The best you can hope for is an A League club, and honestly, I don't think that will happen anytime soon. I have watched parts of three or four matches on tv this season. Mostly to watch old Mutineers, but in several years most ex-Blues will be mostly gone. So I will probably spend the offseason contemplating which club to support.

4. Bluesfan

Bluesfan Member+

DC United
    Aug 12, 2000
    Tampa
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    Reincarnated Rowdies Doubtful

Ran across this little item this morning. Someone posted awhile back that Rod Marsh owned 24% of the Rowdies name still and could possibly be involved in a new Rowdies. This Q&A comes from his own website

http://www.rodmarsh.com/viewarticle.php?articleid=127&articletype=1

You still part own Tampa Bay Rowdies, don’t you?
    “Yeah, I own 24% of the Rowdies franchise but then the majority owner refused to play in the new league (MLS) so the Rowdies became dormant and a new Tampa Bay team (the Mutiny) was launched - I own 24% of nothing! That they didn’t try to buy the Rowdies name really surprised me because nostalgia is really in there now. It’s all gone retro, San Jose have gone back to being the Earthquakes and a lot of the other NASL teams have relaunched. It’s like Manchester United selling their team and calling them Manchester Albion. Pointless.”

Doesn't sound like you should hold your breath for the Rowdies resurrection.

5. TonyFlash

TonyFlash New Member

Jun 5, 2001
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was I who spoke of Rodney's 24% ownership of the Rowdies name. This was given to him as a perk when he came to coach the team. Little did he know. It sounded like a good deal then. Will MLS ever return to Tampa? MLS worked too hard to get it out. So unless someone with deep pockets and a SSS shows up in support of a team here, I say no.
    To tell you the truth I don't see that happening anywhere, unless someone is willing to throw good money after bad. I don't see MLS lasting more than 3 more seasons. Tampa needs to look at the A-League for the future. Games could be played at Legends Field and George will work with the team, not rape it for its $$$$$$$$.

Tony Flash

6. Paul. A

Paul. A Member

Mar 16, 1999
    Wales, UK
    I'm starting to think that Tampa doesn't deserve a Team. Everyone loves the Bucs. Sorry if being British makes me feel this way but I ain't interested in big-greasy guys slamming each other. On the other han there seems to be a lot of soccer fans here, I have only lived in this area 8 months and noticed there are fans of the game but not many MLS. The Mutiny are lost partly because of lack of support. I still thought we had enough hard core fans to keep us going longer though. I guess more aggressive advertising would have helped. The logo I liked but it should have at least a soccer ball on it. I bet if I ask a regular person in Tampa what sport used that logo I bet they wouldn't know. Do some people here know who the Mutiny were. I have had some blank looks when I have talked about them.
    I hope we will get MLS back here in a Soccer Stadium with good promotion. I feel MLS as to get out and attract working class people and try harder to change the image of the sport. It is a tough sport!
    I honestly believe that MLS could do better not just in Tampa but around the country. If the league doesn't start making noise then it won't last.
    Soccer is treated like crap in the media and that doesn't help.
    After all this I still think we could make a soccer specific stadium work.

7. Krystoff

Krystoff New Member

May 16, 2001
    MLS so far this season is averaging 15,362
    per game, as opposed to 14,961 for all of last year, an increase of 401 fans per game. This after the U.S. Mens Team's success in the World Cup.

401 fans per game....Not exactly the mass influx they were hoping for. Something is definitely wrong somewhere. I would almost rather have an A-League team here than another MLS Team...At least MLS cant screw up an A-League team....

8. Dixie Blue

Dixie Blue Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Not until someone with very deep pockets stands up and volunteers to sink thousands into an I/O (franchise?) fee and a SSS here in Tampa.

I wouldn't hold my breath.

Forget ever playing again at RJS. Not until there is someone other than the Glazers calling the shots and taking the revenue. That bridge, if not burned, is not stable between them and MLS.

If the league is still around in 2020, then Tampa might have a team by then.

9. Stuart

Stuart New Member

Oct 13, 2001
    Miami
    Krystoff, is that paltry increase an average increase of the remaining teams, or are they bluffing by removing our low attendances (in other words, what was the average for those ten teams last year)? I have read some of the subterfuge of Garbagebag and wouldn't take anything at face value.

10. Krystoff

Krystoff New Member

May 16, 2001
    I pretty sure that the increase is the total of all teams now in the league so far this year compared to all teams in the league last year, including Miami and Tampa. As of Sept 5th, the average for 2002 is now 15,419, or an increase of 458 over last year. Impressive.... LOL

11. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    3% in fact. Consider that by June 2002, there had been four National Team double headers, whereas there were none in that period of 2001. And it's those matches, along with fireworks in Pasadena and Denver, that are skewing attendence figures. True, the Rapids have had fireworks every year, but combined with the US-Mexico match (mostly Mexican crowd), two matches make up for pretty disappointing numbers there. This year has to be seen as a disappointment for MLS.

12. Mike T

Mike T Member

May 21, 2002
    Miami
    Khan,

Excuse me for defending MLS... but, there are a couple of things you are also overlooking.

First you've ignored the fact that Chicago one of the league's usually better assisted teams has been hampered by the renovation of Soldier Field. Playing far from Chicago an artificial field on a small college campus that does not even allow alcohol consumption on any campus property and most importantly has a capasity of under 16,000. Thus giving this usually well attended team a year attendance average of but only 12,700. Yet recent games have been sold out. Had those games been in Chicago proper, in Soldier Field, there would be anywhere between 25 to 30K there and the Fire's attendance for the year easily around 16,000 or more. A rather significant difference.

Also regarding the scewing effect of National team double header friendlies and so on... well you know that has been regular occurance thoughout MLS history. Nearly every year, if not every single year MLS has existed there have been double headers that falsely scew the attendance figures slightly higher.

PS: Talking about attendance... I'm pleasantly surprised Kansas City has done relatively better than their usual less than 10K attendance (11,700+) dispite a very mediocre season.

In another note and most important to me. It seem to me that MLS was a bit premature in closing shop in Miam and Tampa. In Miami's case(pardon my bias) specifically, I am well beyond positive that this would have been a banner year for that franchise had it still existed. I do not believe MLS should have contracted, however, looking at the numbers, I believe San Jose should have been eliminated much more than my beloved Fusion.

San Jose is the champion, they are run by the same company that runs the highly financially successfull San Jose Sharks and yet they are at the bottom of the MLS attendence figures. The lone team below 10K at 9,900. 'mind you, they not only have last year's championship team but they have been the league leader nearly the entire season AND as if that was not enough... they probably have argueably the biggest US National team star(in the most succcessfull US WC year in the modern era) in Landon Donovan.

I can guarantee you the Fusion attendance figures would have easily been 13 to 14,000... at least 3000 more than an San Jose this year.

PPS:
    I say fold up San Jose, DC fire Ray Hudson, and bring back my Fusion and Ray to South Florida. For that matter make sure they bring back Palblito Mastroeni and even Diego Serna.

DAM, I really miss my Miami Fusion!!!

13. fusionmansteve

fusionmansteve New Member

Jun 9, 2000
    Waiting in Lockhart parking lot.....
    Club:
    Miami FC