Is the women winning the cup good for MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Keep87, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Keep87

Keep87 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    North Carolina
    Discuss.

2. Keep87

Keep87 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    North Carolina
    Sorry, meant to post this in general discusion. Mods could you please move this there.

3. Crew14

Crew14 Member

Apr 11, 2000
    Brunswick
    Can't see it having any effect good or bad.

C14

4. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    &nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp It helps MLS indirectly in that it helps SUM, whose primary investor is none other than Philip Anschutz. With more incoming money, Anschutz can help out MLS in more ways.

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp This is a fact that must be absolutely killing the MLS-haters among the WUSA fanbase (which don't consist of all WUSA fans, I'm sure)! :D

-G

5. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any publicity for any soccer in the USA is good for MLS (except the hooligan stuff perhaps :) )..

6. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No effect whatsoever, whether they win or lose. Might actually get rid of the 'Soccer is a girl's sport' thing if they lost, though.

If they do win I wonder what the odds are on an MLS-allied WUSA II rising from the ashes? Talk about a bitter pill for the PTH's...

7. Keep87

Keep87 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    North Carolina
    Something

If they win the cup it will make soccer more popular in the US temporarily. But, the question is, will it make soccer more popular or womens soccer more popular?

8. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as Uncle Phil remains uninterested in investing in a Women's League (which I'm not sure he is, perhaps he just didn't want to invest in WUSA), I find it unlikely WMLS would happen, talk about an albatross at a time when MLS is just starting to turn the corner, largey on the back of AEG.

9. Keep87

Keep87 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    North Carolina
    Until MLS is making money right and left I wouldn't want to start a WMLS. The MLS would end up having to support the WMLS. Unless WMLS is separate form MLS and just rents out SSS I don't see how it can help us.

10. Khansingh

Khansingh New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    The Luton Palace
    I don't think the women want a WMLS either. I think they've always wanted to go it alone, which I respect. Otherwise, you're talking about the WNBA. Except that the players are a lot easier on the eyes.

11. stanleyt

stanleyt Member

Dec 7, 1998
    Harlem, USA
    Easier on WHOSE eyes? There are plenty of women in the WNBA who are lookers.

Again, this WWC is an "event" just like '99. You'll have the subplot about WUSA throughout the tourney but where will all those "fans" be for MLS games?!

12. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll say. Heather Mitts was on The Best Damned Sports Show last week...now that's hot...

13. Keep87

Keep87 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    North Carolina
    Bump.
    So, given the result of the the US Germany game, (I'm sure you have all seen/ heard about the result by now), does the MLS benifit as much as they would have if the US had made it to the final? I, for one, don't even think the final will sale-out...

14. NJPsycho

NJPsycho New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Dirty Jerzee
    I relly don't think that the Womans World Cup helps MLS at all. Let's face it, most American sports fans don't like soccer. Their argument is usually, "It's a womans sport." I think that just helps the ignorant with that argument.

15. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

This is an ignorant statement in itself. It is a women's sport in America because the women's team has been so successful. If that hurts MLS, fine, I can live with that. I'm not crazy about MLS-haters and WUSA fans who don't really understand the sport and its realities at all, but I watch the Women's World Cup and follow the Women's National Team and so should every self-respecting American soccer fan. If you don't, I can respect that, but if we have to sacrifice some clout to maintain the women's game, I'm all for it.

16. Keep87

Keep87 New Member

Apr 24, 2003
    North Carolina
    Maybe with WOOSA gone, the failure of the US at the WWC, and MLS getting closer and closer to profitabilty each day, the "soccer is a girl sport" attitude will start to diappear over time...