Is the USMNT past "naturalizing players" to play for it?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by purojogo, Jan 3, 2006.

1. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. ClarkC

ClarkC Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Virginia
    FYI: I have read that only two countries grant citizenship to everyone born there: The U.S.A. and Mexico.

3. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle

US soccer can’t make anyone a US citizen for soccer reasons. If they could, we wouldn’t be talking about Ailton to Qatar or wherever, we’d be talking about Ailton to the US. I don’t know so much about the 1950s when the whole process was different, but over the last 20 years no one has become a US citizen on the basis of soccer.

4. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Kikin Fonseca is Mexican to the bone.

:mad:

5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Actually, Congress can grant citizenship to someone for whatever reason they come up with, if they can get the votes for a special act (or at least they used to be able to.) If they can make someone a citizen for coming up with a supergun why not for coming up with a super-stepover?

6. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's been already covered and corrected long ago ...My mistake, as i had meant Guille Franco...

But if your hobby is to give red nipples for silly stuff like this.. knock yourself out

7. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Canada also does this.

I remember reading about the case of some Dutch royalty (at least, I think they were Dutch), who gave birth to their child in a Canadian hospital. The Canadian gov't temporarily allowed the delivery room to be declared Dutch territory, so that the child would be born a Dutch citizen rather than Canadian.

8. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Then Agoos does not qualify for Swiss citizenship - his father was an American diplomat.

9. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I have absolutely no facts to back this up, but I'd be shocked if Australia and New Zealand don't as well.

10. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    You have misunderstood what I wrote. Of course, the USSF can't bestow citizenship on anyone. But, players who might be eligible for US citizenship one way or another can be recruited by US soccer to become US citizens so that they can play for the USMNT. David Regis was not granted US citizenship based on his soccer playing ability. But, I do believe he became a US citizen so that he could play international soccer. If that's the only reason someone wants to become a US citizen, I'd rather not have him on the team.

11. Don Boppero 3000

Don Boppero 3000 DNALMQNLGLLMX!

Jan 15, 2001
    The Fullerton Hotel Chicago
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico

Did you expect me to read all this tripe?

:p

If it matters I will have one of my people correct the nipplage. If it matters.

12. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My middle son was born in Thailand (in the late 60's) when I was there for the US government. He has a Thai birth certificate and a US "affidavit" of birth. I seem to remember that we had to "renounce" Thai citizenship so that he wouldn't be drafted into the Thai army had he returned there when he was in his 20's. There was never any doubt as to his American citizenship (nor mine: I was born in the Philippines when my dad was there with the Army Air Corps), but apparently he carried dual citizenship until he renounced it. Maybe things are different now. In any case, it never became a soccer issue because he wasn't in the elite class of players, although he was on the Maryland state team and was president of the Duke soccer club.

13. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe people think that because of the "holes in his defense"? :rolleyes:

14. Justin O

Justin O Member+

Seattle Sounders
    United States
    Nov 30, 1998
    on the run from the covid
    Club:
    Seattle
    You (and others) say he became a US citizen just to play international soccer and I say that's a preposterous assumption, for which the is pretty compelling contradictory evidence. He had an American wife with a job in France. That should bring to mind quite a few other powerful reasons for obtaining US citizenship, though that's seemingly lost on numerous posters here. Did US soccer influence the timing of his citizenship application? Probably, but so what?

I live overseas on US government funded work. If I had a local wife, who was eligible for US citizenship, who was good enough to play for the US women's team, I'd encourage her to get her citizenship before, rather than after, the next Womens World Cup. Is that bad thing? Seems like common sense to me - especially as I'm likely overseas long term.

For reasons I mention in a previous post, Regis served the team well and publicly represented his country proudly in a place (France) where doing so is not the best way to earn popularity. He deserves far more than the disrespectful crap so common on these boards in posts like yours.

15. VOwithwater

VOwithwater New Member

Oct 17, 2005
    I forsee a new crop of iraqi's and Afgans comming to the team 18 yrs from now and who knows if iran keeps being difficult we may even see some iranians on the team

16. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    Regis met his American wife in 1993 or 1994, but, to the best of my knowledge, made no effort or expressed any desire to become a US citizenship. Regis wanted to play international soccer for France, but was not chosen. Sampson found out he was eligible to become a US citizen and recruited him. Then, and only then, did Regis begin the process of becoming an American citizen. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Regis, http://chronicle.augusta.com/stories/061598/spo_124-4099.shtml

The facts certainly suggest to me that he would not have become an American citizen but for the opportunity to play international soccer. But, perhaps I'm wrong and you can enlighten everyone with the "pretty compelling contradictory evidence" you claim exists.

You accuse me of posting "disrespectful crap" about Regis. That's a slander for which you should apologize. I agree that Regis served the team well in France and represented the USA proudly and have never posted otherwise. My complaint is not with Regis (who took the opportunity that was presented to him). It's with the US Soccer Federation and Steve Sampson who recruited a foreigner to become an American citizen so that he could play international soccer. If someone doesn't want to become an American citizen but for the opportunity to play international soccer, then I'd rather not have him on the team, regardless of how good a player or person he is.

17. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    That would be very interesting.

Don't know if it will happen, but it will be interesting to watch out for.