Is the USMNT past "naturalizing players" to play for it?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by purojogo, Jan 3, 2006.

1. macheath

macheath New Member

Jul 8, 2005
    DC
    Michael Parkhurst, the center back and MLS rookie of the year for the New England Revs, has dual citizenship with the US and Ireland, although he's mostly a US citizen, and has played for the US U-17s. I don't think he's expressed any interest in playing for Ireland, and it was a bit of a surprise that he didn't get a call to camp for the US nats. But he's got great potential for the future, although central defense is going to be a spot where we have a lot of options (Oneywu, Imehelu, Parkhurst, Whitbread, Marshall, etc.) The Irish citizenship would allow him to play in Europe much more easily.

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or better yet, "The REAL HU"!! ;) Yes, I am a graduate of said mecca.

3. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    because to many it's like saying that there arent good domestic players when in fact there are...i personally dont have a problem with naturalized players, but i do feel that 3 naturalized players would be "too many"...

an NT represents our country...it's easy to see why so many people dont like the fact that we may have naturalized players representing our country..

but then again you have Sinha and Franco who have gotten married and /or have their kids born in Mexico so they dont get just naturalized to play for Mexico...unlike Gaitan who would just get naturalized to play and that's the main debate...

4. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Elegantly put. Didn't FIFA make some kind of provision against that last option when Oman or some other Gulf state offered to pay some Brazilians to become citizens?

5. Jaison

Jaison New Member

May 6, 2005
    Tristan da Cunha
    Yes, it was with Qatar, who attempted to get Ailton, Dede and Leandro (Ailton and Dede previously attempted to join the german NT, but were turned down) to obtain Qatari citizenship. FIFA's emergency committee ruled that "players who obtained a new nationality 'with no clear connection to that country' would be ineligible to play internationally for that country". Even this still seems a little open to interpretation, but it's still a good step forward.

6. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    if someone is a US citizen naturalized or not, they have every single right to be considered for the USA team. It would be outrageous if this was held against them.

7. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    you were a non-naturalized,non-citizen who played for the USA.

8. Shackleton

Shackleton New Member

Sep 13, 2005
    N. Texas
    Here's a link to the ruling. http://www.fifa.com/documents/static/regulations/PS 901 EN.pdf

A player who assumes a new nationality may play for the new association only if (1) he, a parent, or a grandparent was born on its territory, or (2) he has lived there for two years "continuously."

Jaison is right that this was in direct response to a number of Brazilians who apparently intended to change nationalities in order to play for Qatar. It may be that FIFA would not apply this ruling strictly if it was clear the player in question was changing nationalities for some other reason.

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beyond this, first generation players with heritage from non-soccer powers where soccer is popular will lead to broader support for the US team. Look at the coverage Lee Nguyen got in Viet Nam during the U-20 tournament as an example.

10. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

...and damn proud to do so too...

11. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    As an aside, but if the US ever gets a couple of Asian-Americans on the team, I expect that the support from those communities will be very good.

If Nguyen and a couple of other Asians become regulars for the US, I think you'll see a lot of Asians loyally supporting them.

12. mikeivan

mikeivan Member

Nov 1, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So what is the nationality story on Herc Gomez? Is he Mexican/USA? Is that why Bruce won't call him up?

13. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    He's both now and no ... or you'd have some story on your hands.

Many South Americans in Spain take the Spanish citizenship after living there continuously for 2 years in order to be considered "domestic" players in a league where there's a low limit on the number of non-European Union footballers. Some of them, if uncapped by their original nation, are good enough to play for their new country.

Hypothetically, they could, after living in England for 10 years. Realistically, there's no reason to do so, as both Spain and England are the EU members, which eliminates all work restrictions anyway.

Yes, there's gambling going on in Vegas ...

14. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    And why not? There's money on the line.

I know a lot of people don't like to think so, but international soccer is big - no, huge - business. Lots of people, and companies and federations and governing bodies are making money any way they can off of international socccer.

The players should be allowed to work the angles, too. Sporting? Not really. But the genie is out of the bottle and the toothpaste is out of the tube and it ain't going back.

As long as FIFA is selling rights fees, federations are selling tickets, broadcasters are selling advertising, promoters are getting a cut and everyone is cutting endorsement deals in international soccer, why shouldn't the players be allowed to make some more money by becoming an international player by whatever means necessary?

15. Lord15

Lord15 New Member

Jun 20, 2001
    Southeast
    I don't think you can have swiss dual-citizenship. I think you're either swiss or not.

I think I remember my German Prof. going on a rant about this once. Could be wrong, I was usually a little hung over for his class.

16. Jabinho

Jabinho New Member

May 29, 2004
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_citizenship

http://www.eda.admin.ch/washington_emb/e/home/legaff/howto/childr.html

17. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    one of the great US soccer stories of all time IMHO.

18. Lord15

Lord15 New Member

Jun 20, 2001
    Southeast
  19. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Read about you in the DaMN the other day. Funny story. Wouldn't be funny now though would it? Would any country (think minnow) get away with that without sanctions nowadays?

20. USAin2006

USAin2006 Member

Sep 7, 2004
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think you are right. When Dat Nguyen made the Cowboys, apparently it generated a lot of interest amongst the Vietnamese community, since I believe he was the first Vietnamese-American to play in the NFL. Surely the same would be true for the MNT if Lee gets capped.

21. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    There's a section's worth of drums sitting in some Torrance warehouse waiting for a reason to be dusted off and banged. Whether that's a good thing or not I don't know.

22. lillefty7

lillefty7 New Member

Nov 23, 2004
    Bismarck

dont think ive heard that one, anyone wanna share?

23. Namdynamo

Namdynamo Member+

Jan 1, 2005
  24. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

not a chance in hell...

25. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

Thanks....wait till you read my book....in the hands of a publisher right now, full of similar type stories....