Is the timing of the MLS season good or bad for the US???

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Texas4x4, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Texas4x4

Texas4x4 New Member

Jul 18, 2004
    Will it affect the players in any way, like physical conditioning? Will the MLS US players be a little rusty? Or will it be an advantage going against a more tired Euro or South American team, because their league just ended?

2. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I love it. I think that we do have a little bit of an advantage in the fact that not all of our players are coming straight out of a long season. We have a nice mix of players, and I think it can only help us. Of course, that's just one mans opinion.

3. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In 2002 the MLS season helped us a lot with what we accomplished in Korea . Almost all of our team , except a few , played here in America , and were able to train with each other for a way longer period of time than the other nation teams.

4. Davids26

Davids26 Member

May 31, 2000
    Almost all? Half our team played in MLS, the other half in Europe.

In June it will be more like 2/3's in Europe 1/3 in MLS...

5. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    close.. lol . OK half but still, that half that had an opprotunity to play with each other for a longer period of time really helped us out .

6. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    outside of EJ and DOnovan i think the rest of our ideal starters are playing in europe. I guess you can throw mastro in here as well.

7. Yankee_Devil

Yankee_Devil Member

Nov 13, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    The only thing the MLS season has against is that what is supposed to be the best part of the season (when the races are tightning) and post season seems to be running a long with the beggining of football both college and professional. That is just plain dumb.

8. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Germany in June is pretty easy on players, almost perfect playing weather.
    If the tired factor was an advantage last time, it will be less so this time. Injuries are another matter, but those are as likley to happen to players just getting into shape as those getting tired, I'd think.
    In any case, four weeks to get ready is quite a decent time.

9. kevbrunton

kevbrunton New Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The timing of the MLS season is good from the standpoint of giving MLS the best chance to succeed.

Having a successful MLS is definitely good for the USNT - whether it's current Nats playing there or Nats that have been allowed to develop there.

Ergo, the timing of MLS is good for the USNT.

10. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    donovan, eddie johnson and mastroeni are the mls guys who reasonably are starters....

the rest being euro based...

and the prime reserves are convey, o'brien and bocanegra...

so mls won't be playing as large a role this time around....

11. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Ideally, then, they'd want to start the season in February, so the players would have 10-15 games to play into top form. When do they start. I have no idea. The fact that BA will get a full month with guys will help, but not as much as the african cup of nations will help the African teams (an actual competition to get ready for a competition).

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    the timing of MLS is great for the USMNT... however, the timing of world cup ain't so great for MLS

13. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    The US has 3 World Cup games in 10 days.

I like the fact that not everyone is coming off an exhausting season.

But it really cuts both ways and comes down to the individual situation.

This is perfect for a player like Donovan. He'll have plenty of rest. He'll be happy spending all that time in L.A. (even during camp he can be at home). Then he'll have a few Galaxy games to warm up with before reporting for duty. The MLS schedule works for him.

Mastroeni and EJ, on the other hand, probably need games to get ready. And obviously, EJ needs goals to boost his confidence. He'll only get a limited time to score some from April 1-May 15. It doesn't work so well for him.

Of course, the extended camp helps, as does the fact that MLS is so compliant with Bruce's wishes. This probably helps more than anything--to know that you've got a league where 1/3 of your squad plays and you can get whatever you need out of that league.

Imagine being the coach of Ghana and trying to bring in guys from clubs from all over Europe and Africa and get them on the same page tactically, get them arriving in time for friendlies (in Dallas, no less!). What a nightmare that must be.

14. swedust

swedust Member+

Aug 30, 2004
    Haven't I read that, outside of the CL finals, the EUFA leagues are suspending play earlier relative to the start of the cup than they did in 2002? Plus, no travel to Asia. I don't believe fatigue will be as much of a factor (in terms of it being inequal between different teams) as was reported in Japan/Korea.

I also wish to agree with previous poster who pointed out that it is MLS's accommodations of USSF camps, friendlies that is so good for USMNT, not so much the schedule. However, Bruce did say that his situation was unique in the world in that the federation itself had to make an effort to ensure the form of the players; I think it was in one of the interviews right before the draw. So he would seem to think that the schedule was somewhat less than ideal.

15. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For World Cup, it's great.

For other stuff (CONCACAF Champions Cup, Copa America, etc...) it stinks.

16. mschofield

mschofield Member+

May 16, 2000
    Berlin
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Now that there's actually a (kind of) world club championship, I'd love to see MLS pay more attention to the ConChcup.