Is the squad list out yet for the Andorra game?

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by nve2k, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Pattrick

Pattrick New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    Re: 3-0 Final

Don't be ridiculous! Eddy Poelmann is much better than Leo Oldenburger - just like anyone else.

2. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden

Ahh at least some sanity here:p, no just kiddin

3. nve2k

nve2k Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Sorry for sounding negative too but I have to be honest. In all seriousness, it was a poor display and an ok result last night. Only Robben and Cocu stood out for me. The defence wasn't pressured the whole game as Andorra decided to sit back and shut up shop. Gio and Melchiot were very weak going up, their dribbling was off, they didn't connect well with the wings and most of the build ups started from Cocu and Oijer. The entire midfield had a bad game.

Can't really figure out what the boys' problem was. Maybe a day and a half of training just isn't enough time to prepare national teams for performing at high competative levels. I recognized that in the last qualifying round, all big teams had a hard time playing and most games were boring in the first game. It became considerably better in the second game, all the big teams(including Holland) performed realtively better and the games were much more exciting. Some may argue that this would apply to smaller teams as well, who knows.

I'm happy Oranje got first place for now but something is gotta be done about the way they're playing. Playing Romania and Czech away is not easy and if you ask me, we got away with a win on Czech at home. As an assessment to Van Basten's role as Coach so far the results have been alright but the team should be performing better.

4. White-green Pride

FC Groningen
    Netherlands
    Feb 23, 2001
    Groningen, Nederland
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands

hmmmm....didn't notice. Me and my friends were providing our own colour commentary.
    I must say I don't like the commentary altogether. The only one who does a good job is Frank Snoeks, the rest can all go **** themselves as far as i'm concerned......

5. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

He might be better, he's also much more annoying. If you can't find anything positive to say in the full 90 minutes, you shouldn't be doing football commentary. The impression I get with Poelmann and people like Wim Kieft is that they don't even LIKE football, that they hate being there watching the game. Of course the game was rubbish, but it was never going to be good what with Andorra keeping 10 men in the penalty box, and there were positives like Robben and Melchiot.

I agree re: Frank Snoeks btw, he has a sense of humour and he doesn't have his head up Ajax's árse like some other commentators do.

6. Jimmy32

Jimmy32 New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Amsterdam

I also think people like Wim Kieft and Johan Derksen sometimes think on the old, good teams like those of the 70's, 80's, and 90's and often compare them to the current team, which is in a much different situation, being under transition as it is, and being so young. This team has plenty of time to grow. That said, I still think this team can and should make the WK in Germany. they sit on top of the group, and are a few decent results against Romania and the Czechs from qualifying.

7. Pattrick

Pattrick New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Utrecht, Netherlands

Seriously, Leo Oldenburger is the worst we have. I don't know if you ever watch football on SBS, but I remember the Sweden v Holland match - I don't recall him saying anything positive during that match.

But I guess you like him because he doesn't "have his head up Ajax's arse"...

8. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

in johan's dictionary, "head up AJAX's arse" means "not constantly trashing AJAX"

9. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004

If they don't lose away and keep winning at home it's in the bag. I think we all realise that this probably is the lowest quality squad we've had in many, many years, but there's a positivity and a spirit there that makes up for the lack of quality. That's what I believe anyway.