Is the squad list out yet for the Andorra game?

Discussion in 'The Netherlands' started by nve2k, Nov 9, 2004.

1. nve2k

nve2k Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Holland would hopefully win this crucial game. Here's the 23 man squad I would select.

Keepers:

Edwin van der Sar(if he makes it back from injury on time)
    Maarten Stekelenburg.

Defenders:

Nigel de Jong
    Johnny Heitinga
    Wilfred Bouma
    Pascal Bosschaart
    Theo Lucius
    Khalid Boulahrous
    Philip Cocu
    Giovanni van Bronckhorst

Midfield:

Edgar Davids
    Mark van Bommel
    Robin van Persie
    Wesley Sneijder
    Denny Landzaat
    Rafael van der Vaart

Attack:

Ruud van Nistelrooy
    Arjen Robben
    Dirk Kuyt
    Roy Makaay
    Quincy Owusu-Abeyie
    Daniel de Ridder
    Collins John

The list was in order of my personal preference in the given positions.

I left out Kluivert this time cause it seems injury set his return to complete fitness back a little bit.

Castelen is injured at the moment I heard and he didn't perform well at all against Finland anyways.

Hofland is getting better again but hes still not National Team caliber as of yet.

Melchiot and Seedorf would almost never make my list of squad players, let alone starting eleven. Seedorf had a lot of chances to prove himself in the National Team and very rarely did he make the best of them(last being the fact that he started in all the Euro2004 games but one.) Melchiot never convinced me defensively. To me he was never a solid defender, period.

Dirk Kuyt is not the classiest of players but he seemed to be a smart player with a high work ethic in Feynoord and the Dutch NT.

I included van Persie and Quincy because both have been impressive with the Arsenal Reserves and First teams(in VP's case.)

Bosschaart would make a good leftback in my opinion. Someone needs to give "Gio" some competition and it certainly wouldn't be Bouma; he hasn't played there in a long time.

Robben would be an obvious starter on the left.

What do you guys think?

2. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Daniel de Ridder and your two Arsenal players don't get any first team football, it would be absurd for Van Basten to include them especially because there's plenty of attacking talent around.

3. Sneijder -=(18)=-

Sneijder -=(18)=- New Member

Aug 17, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Pretty unrealistic list, not seeing my preferences but to be realistic and to see it from van Basten's perspective, i think this would be the 23-man squad.

Keepers:

1. Edwin van der Sar
    2. Edwin Zoetebier

Defenders:

3. Joris Mathijsen(Has been the DEFENDING STAR of AZ who's playing magical on both European and National scene)
    4. Wilfred Bouma
    5. Jan Kromkamp
    6. Giovanni van Bronckhorst
    7. Khalid Boulahrouz
    8. Kevin Hofland(He has his first place in the team, Wolfsburg is playing well with Hofland in the Bundesliga, they are first if i am correct?)
    9. Nigel de Jong

Midfielders:

10. Rafael van der Vaart
    11. Wesley Sneijder
    12. Philip Cocu
    13. Mark van Bommel
    14. Clarence Seedorf(Why noy Seedorf? He is one of the engines on the midfield on one of the best teams in the world, he played a great EURO 2004 with Holland, his form is also great)
    15. Edgar Davids
    16. Denny Landzaat

Attackers:

17. Arjen Robben
    18. Andy van der Meyde(has a good season with Inter, played good matches, give him another chance, he clearly has become better and wiser)
    19. Romeo Castelen
    20. Dirk Kuyt
    21. Pierre van Hooijdonk
    22. Roy Makaay
    23. Ruud van Nistelrooy

Not Included:

Maarten Stekelenburg(van Basten has also seen Stekelenburg made mistake after mistake, he has lost his starting place to Hans Vonk)
    John Heitinga(same situation as Stekelenburg. Played REALLY BAD the last 6 games, also lost his starting place)
    Theo Lucius(he is selected as defender, but he RARELY plays on that position...OK the last few matches he did play as defender but more as emergency solution because there were some injuries. He is a midfielder but he is not good enough to be selected on the midfield of 'Oranje')
    Patrick Kluivert(He is the victim of the new situation, he isn't playing that bad with Newcastle, not he doesn't get selected...don't forget he's the ALL-TIME Topscorer of Oranje)

4. nve2k

nve2k Member

Jun 19, 2004
    Well, with all due respect to your opinion I have to point out a few things:

I've always been a big supporter of Kluivert and when he returns to form I wouldn't mind having him instead of Ruud up front.

I always saw more potential in Stekelenburg than Zoetebier regarding goalkeeping qualities despite him having a bad run lately.

I haven't included Mathijsen cause I only saw AZ play once this season. Seems a lot of people think he's doing great. It maybe right to drop Heitinga for him.

Both Lucius and Bosschaart don't regularly play as defenders but I thought they would give better competition to de Jong and Gio on the right and left-back positions.

Well I don't think Hofland would make it to the team just because his team is first on the table. He is getting back to form but Bouma is showing better form currently and Boulahrouz was one of the best players for Orange against Macedonia.

About Seedorf, I know there has been a huge thread about this. Lets say I am not one of his supporters. IMO, his best qualities lie in his passing and shot power(not accuracy) but he slows down the pace of the team and doesn't contribute on the defensive. I think Euro2004 was a prime example of what he has to offer Holland.

As for Quincy and van Persie I would like to have them both on the bench for the great form they are currently showing in Arsenal. I would drop Castelen (who was horrible in the Finland game) and van Hooijdonk whose inclusion in the team is only to lift the players morales I suppose.

I have watched almost every Inter game this season. Andy van der Meyde is still far from the form he showed in Ajax 2 years ago. I don't know if it's only me, but he put on a lot of weight in Italy too.

5. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
  6. windycity

windycity Member

Oct 19, 2001
    Where do you think
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    My Line-up

van der Sar

de Jong - - - Cocu - - - van Bronckhorst

Van Bommel

Sneijder - - - Davids - - - van der Vaart

Kuyt - - - RVN - - - Robben

7. Pattrick

Pattrick New Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Utrecht, Netherlands
    And Melchiot is back!

8. A-J-A-X

A-J-A-X New Member

Jul 14, 2004
    South London, UK
    It's hard to be on the Atkin's diet when you eat so much spaghetti ;)

9. Matt5696

Matt5696 New Member

Sep 29, 2004
    It is now, from the KNVB site...

Goal: Edwin van der Sar, Maarten Stekelenburg.

Defence: Khalid Boulahrouz, Giovanni van Bronckhorst, Phillip Cocu, Nigel de Jong, Joris Mathijsen, Mario Melchiot.

Midfield: Mark van Bommel, Edgar Davids, Denny Landzaat, Wesley Sneijder, Rafael van der Vaart.

Attack: Romeo Castelen, Pierre van Hooijdonk, Dirk Kuyt, Roy Makaay, Ruud van Nistelrooy, Arjen Robben.

I'm glad to see Heitinga off the list.

10. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Good to see Robben back.

11. Jimmy32

Jimmy32 New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Amsterdam

I can't wait to see Robben back in Oranje. I think Ruud is also very excited to have someone who can cross him the ball ;)
    Now, if only some right-winger would show up and play well, then we'd be set.

12. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    I hope Andy will get in a nice shape soon. I think he is still way better when he plays like he played for Ajax then Castelen. But then again I can't be objective here.

13. Jimmy32

Jimmy32 New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Amsterdam

I agree, but just because Castelen has done nothing, literally nothing, with his chance in Oranje.

14. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Andy VdM is looking a hell of a lot better this season than last, he's doing quite well under Mancini & i think he should be in the Oranje squad even if he doesn't play.

15. vagegast

vagegast Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Herndon, VA
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    I'm missing Boateng and van der Meyde.

16. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Nice to see we agree:)

17. adri

adri Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Vancouver, Canada
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    Barry Van Galen (AZ) & André Ooijer (PSV) have been added to the squad in place of Nigel de Jong & Edgar Davids who are both injured, though Davids will join the team at training camp.

18. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    He's the best we've got for that position. He plays well for Feyenoord virtually every week and deserves to be in the squad for that reason.

I don't suppose you'd prefer a right winger who never gets any first team football, like Daniel de Ridder.

19. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    Well I, and he neither I think, meant that Castelen wasn't good, but he hasn't been that great in Oranje (yet). I think Andy is better, when he get's in the right shape.

20. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    All I'm saying is Castelen is the best we've got for that position at the moment.

21. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    For now I agree:)
    but then again I can't be objective here.

22. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Now that Robben's back the right winger will have much more space. But I think Van Basten might play Kuijt on the right actually.

23. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    True Kuijt is doing great, but he isn't really a winger like Castelen and vs Meyde. Ahh the old Dutch problem, the offence:)

24. Jimmy32

Jimmy32 New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Amsterdam
    I think Kuyt will get the nod on wednesday, just because of the goal he scored with Marco in the stands. Yes, Castelen is the best at the moment, which is depressing... he's a good young player, but I don't think he's ready to start for Oranje.
    My hope is that Van Persie, since we have no real right winger coming up, eventually gets good enough so that he can play winger. Can you imagine him and Robben constantly switching sides, using both wings, tearing apart defenses with speed and skill? Intriguing thought no? :)

25. Jimmy32

Jimmy32 New Member

Oct 9, 2004
    Amsterdam
    I mean kind of what Robben and Duff do at Chelsea right now