Is the Asian Cup big news in China?

Discussion in 'China' started by REALfootballRulez, Jul 10, 2007.

1. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    China soundly beat Malaysia 5-1 so I was wondering is that front page news in Chinese newspapers? Is it going to be the one of the first things they mention on the TV news?

2. napolisoccer

napolisoccer Member

NYCFC - Napoli
    Feb 20, 2005
    Napoli
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What has been the audience TV in China of Malaysia-China?

3. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    It will be front page of the sports section or on the cover of all the sports newspapers and will be the top sports story of the night, but that's about it. If they win the Asian Cup, it will be on the front page of the newspaper and top story on the news, but otherwise, it is only a big story in the sports section.

4. greenlion

greenlion Member

Apr 22, 2004
    CHINA
    Club:
    Beijing Guoan
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    no one care

5. xfactor857

xfactor857 Member

Sep 21, 2003
    LOL

6. dalianho

dalianho New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Toronto-CDN
    china cares more about European soccer, maybe even Copa America gets more attention than Asian cup.

actually after seeing Brazil vs Uruguay at the SF, i said to myself y the hell* am i still looking out for results from AC...

the sports channel the Score actually shows AC highlights on "sportsworld", the guys hav a laugh trying to pronounce the Thai/Viet names...

7. PKchoppa

PKchoppa New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    maybe if china makes it to the semis will the newspapers begain to care lol

8. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    haha, this and greenlion's statements, while funny, aren't really true....The sports shows/papers are giving heavy coverage to AC and especially (obviously) China team. The day after the China-Malaysia match, the Soccer paper was almost entirely coverage of the game, with maybe only a page for Copa America. That said, if it isn't a China AC match, I think there will be equal coverage of AC and Copa America...

The China team is sort of a guilty "pleasure" (as it is rarely a pleasurable experience). I would say 95% or more of soccer fans will watch China's games and will cheer for them over all other teams, national or club. However, probably only 25% or so would openly admit to watching and cheering for China MNT.

9. dalianho

dalianho New Member

Dec 30, 2005
    Toronto-CDN
    so true, some chinese fans(most actually) admit to watching/cheering for China MNT. it's like in North America, if ur a Chinese-Canadian like me, u want Canada and China to do well equally, but i can't whole heatedly choose them over by club teams, or even my favorite MNT, which is probably Argentina or Holland to a lesser extent.

i jumped to argentina after watch them demolish team after team in the Copa America.

and yestur i went to the Arg-Poland U-20 Round of 16 match, i gotta say with guys like "el Kun" Aguero and Bonega on ur U-20 team, u cannot worry about the state of football.

however i dread seeing Jordan's U-20 getting bumped around by the group. i say China U-20 could do much better.;)

10. Shandong

Shandong New Member

May 22, 2007
    beating Malaysia is nothing big, and the media is concerned with the 2 yellow cards and the goal China conceded.

China Vs. Iran would attractmore audiences imo.
    I mean, I dunno many Chinese soccer fans who dun watch or support the NT.

11. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    haha very true.

12. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    china fans might not really support NT because of 2002 world cup.
    remember all those phrases like "零的突破" "中國必勝" etc?
    many chinese fans believe the NT could really do it.
    but after losing to costa rica, and brazil.
    i remember that 米路 remark that they will still win the group match and advance to round of 16.
    of course..turkey beats us..

so some (or majority fans) think chinese soccer are bull shit etc..

correct me if i am wrong.
    but i think those are some of the reasons that chinese soccer fans, today, still don't watch or support the NT

13. ForzaGrifo

ForzaGrifo Member

Sep 22, 2000
    No, the reason is because we keep losing to sh!t teams like Thailand. We aren't even a 1st tier team in Asia. That's why only so many people in China are disinterested in the NT. Following the team for them is a completely waste of time.

14. dqma

dqma Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Montreal
    I agree. The majority of the chinese people I talk to are cynical and critical of chinese football

15. seb_perpignan

seb_perpignan Member

Jun 5, 2005
    france
    Club:
    Shandong Luneng
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    thailand is pretty solid now, win over oman and 1-1 vs irak (what we manage to do hardly, and they win 4-3 over them too, i remember we lost 2-1 overthere). I really hope this dam aussis will lose against them. and me im french i just hope the french NT don't make Euro 2008 like that some player like scarface ribery gonna be ejected from this team (i literraly hate him so much, like cissé). really hope they don't pass the qualification. and if the pple want to see better football they need to cheer for china and to follow the team and clubs over the time coz that will help to develop the football in china and that for sure.

by the way someone will be in macau for the match btw shenzhen and MU? and in beijing for the match vs barcelona?

16. chinesefootballfan

Oct 11, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    Asian Cup is huge in China. In 2004, the final, which included China and Japan was more than just soccer to most Chinese fans, it was a matter of national pride. The entire nation was behind the game. Unfortunately, we lost.

17. unisoccer

unisoccer New Member

Jul 16, 2007
    Personally I don't think Asian Cup is a national focus any more, especially with 15-20 age group. Soccer in general has been changed from the hottest sports in China to 2nd level TV programs due to the poor performance of chinese NT and gamble scandals since the 90's.

18. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, but that was in China so it was easier for the country to pay more attention to it. If it's so big you would think it would be getting decent ratings on TV for the 2007 Asian Cup. Is it?

19. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean by 2nd level? What is 1st level then?

According to a survey in China football is still the most popular team sport.

20. dqma

dqma Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Montreal
    I don't think this is a good forum to ask questions about Chinese people living in China because most of the memebers live outside mainland China.

21. chengb02

chengb02 Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Well, the "surprise" of getting knocked out was enough to make front page headlines in a number of papers in China...

22. Fuzzums

Fuzzums New Member

May 11, 2006
    North Carolina
    I'm wondering, in general. How do the majority of Chinese fans feel about the KNT? Do they think of it as a 2nd NT? I saw quite a few Chinese fans cheering on Korea during WC 2006 when I was in Seoul.

Infact, I was watching a Chinese stream of the Korea - Iran game and one of the Chinese commentators had a Korea shirt on lol. I've never seen that from a sports commentator.

23. ntg.

ntg. Moderator
    Staff Member

May 9, 2007
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    personally i admire them.

24. shingkei

shingkei Member

Mar 23, 2007
    China
    Nat'l Team:
    China PR
    For me, not love them but not hate them.

I hate Japan only.:D

25. dqma

dqma Member

Apr 19, 2006
    Montreal
    I think it's just a question of knowing that if either Japan or Korean win the cup, China can also probably do that one day because eastern asians are physically pretty similar.