Is Stevie G overated?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Pavie2000, Nov 26, 2004.

1. Pavie2000

Pavie2000 New Member

Nov 24, 2004
    KL, MALAYSIA
    Workrate without a doubt and his commitment is second to none but somehow I find he's lacking in something...the final pass which will determine btwn. wining or losing. He is also a glory hunter, sometime he rather ballooned the ball rather than slide it to another teamate who's in a better position to score. His style of playing is too "gung ho" which explained he spend more time on the treatment table than on the pitch.

2. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    i personally do not feel he is overrated
    he can win the ball
    he can hold the ball
    he can actually pass good balls and he does

3. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Fedwood,
    I'm with you. Gerrard is a wonderful player and in the big scope of world opinion, IMHO, Steven is underrated. Did you see the pass he made last season at Highbury to a streaking Owen? Breathtaking stuff. Yes, Gerrard has a bit of a temper and gets injured, but I would take him on my side anyday.

4. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

If there is one player in the Prem I would have alongside Vieira whilst Cesc is still learning, its Gerrard. That would be a great signing.

5. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Talk about Cesc learning from the best....PV4 and Gerrard would make for an absolutely LETHAL midfield!

6. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Sorry I'm with the doubters! I don't doubt his ability it's his personality that I think is the problem. IMHO he's another of a long line of Champagne Charlies who thinks that he can go nightclubbing/boozing/smoking and still play at the top of his game. The number of injuries and iffy matches he has had is testimony to it. Tempramentality you never know which Gerrard will turn up; the match winner or the invisible man?

7. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    The only thing you've got right with this post is that you actually managed to find the English clubs section.

Downhill and utter bollox after that !

8. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wouldn't mind if he wore red and white instead of just red.

9. No1ArsenalFan

No1ArsenalFan New Member

May 6, 2004
    What the hell is this post about it was a waste of time creating it because it is total utter bollocks. There is no team in the world that doesn't want Gerrard in their midfield although we all no Vieira is better but at Gerrard's age he was worse and Gerrard is still young he is still learning if he came to arsenal or went to Man U he would learn a lot lot more from Vieira or Keane respectively this post is total utter bollocks

No1ArsenalFan

10. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Go ahead and say how you feel, why dontcha?

11. soccermainiac2003

soccermainiac2003 New Member

Dec 1, 2003
    has this guy posted in the chealsea forum yet
    6 posts ive seen at least 4 or 5 here

12. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    i guess we saw how overrated he was yesterday :rolleyes:

13. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Stevie G overrated? You're kidding, right?

14. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Okay he's back from injury and made the difference yesterday. Let's see if he can carry on this way for say the next five games?

15. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Gerrard's only doenside is that he tries a lot of fifty-yard plus balls that aren't on. If he could just curb the Hollywood balls a bit he'd be even better, when it's on fine, when it's not really on, keep the ball. His drive, athleticism, eye for goal and commitment are there for all to see. He'd be a great addition to any team.

16. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Hilarious...

17. AndyK

AndyK New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    When a team like Real Madrid are interested how on earth can you be underrated? Was Vieira playing yday? oh yeah i remember now he was the guy who watched gerrard rule, his goal was nearly as good as his dive

18. ZonaGunner

ZonaGunner Member

Aug 23, 2003
    Tempe, Arizona
    Gerrard is absolutely a quality player who any squad would be lucky to have. To me the main question is whether he can stay healthy on a regular basis. He misses more games than you'd really like to see in a top player at your club.

19. AndyK

AndyK New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    not any more mate

20. KingHenryXIV

KingHenryXIV New Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Univ. of Arkansas
    i really xabi. i think he can control the game better, however, that is not a very common thing in the english game.

21. AndyK

AndyK New Member

Nov 29, 2004
    Xabi can go missing, Spanish players arent physical enough and that gets my goat when my team is to be flooded with them, Garcia i like but when the ball is there to be headed he ducks out, really p*sses me off, Reyes the same, brilliant footballer but also a wimp

22. JCGooner

JCGooner New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Gerrard is over rated, he is talented no doubt but he hits a lot of stray passes and gets injured/suspended a lot. I think he's a good player but he's no Xavi. I even think Fat Frankie Lampard is a better overall player.

23. AjaxGunner

AjaxGunner New Member

Mar 18, 2004
    That was his reputation, but IMHO that doesn't accurately describe him now. He was injured for long spells early in his career due to niggling things, but he seems to have gotten over that now as well as his temper tantrums. His latest injury was due to a hard challenge which could have happened to anyone. I'll grant you Lampard's a better passer, but previously Gerrard was forced to hit a lot of speculative long balls due to the way Liverpool played with Owen up top and with Houllier as manager. Anyway, what's this doing in the Arsenal forum? :confused: I hope this isn't secretly a thread about...

24. King Rooney

King Rooney New Member

Jul 29, 2004
    Leicester
    stevie is not like that he has a kid and has matured since he/she was born.

25. 11Redknapp15

11Redknapp15 Red Card

Nov 30, 2003
    Fla - SC - Eire

Too bad a player lower then fat Frankie worked the Gunners all over Anfield last weekend. 2-1 son and Gerrard was class all night.