Is Samuel Eto'o the best player in the world right now?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by special_k, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Dark Savante

Dark Savante Member

Apr 24, 2002
    Become the Tea Pot!!
    Your post definitely did not construe that.

2. bene

bene New Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Indianapolis
    I really love watching eto'o play, his goal against ac milan the other day was beautiful--I mean, it took my breath away and had me jumpin out my seat. but I think that adriano is hard to beat right now, he has so much of everything that makes a player great.
    eto'o is a great player and still young, in time I'm sure we will be sayin his name alongside all the elites. but I think that he is out of the running for the number one spot for the time being. he is going to make life at Barca a whole lot more interesting for the next couple years though. here's to hopin he keeps his form!

3. Forza_Nerazzurri

Forza_Nerazzurri New Member

May 7, 2004
    Vancouver
    Eto'o is definitely climbing the ladder amongst strikers but he's isn't the best yet. He's the player I hope Obafemi Martins becomes, the only real difference between the two is height.

4. BBMAK_21

BBMAK_21 New Member

Nov 4, 2004
    UK
    He's Very Good Player But He isn't The Best In World ... :D

The Best : Beckham , Zidane , Owen and Rooney ... :D

5. dsk_oz

dsk_oz Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    Ok, looking at the first post .. I can see how you can take it that way ..

Let me clarify .. small and big both have situations that are a disadvantage.

Small is good for latching on to long through balls, but bad when the opposition flood their defensive third. Not too much room to use that extra bit of speed. How often do strikers get to long balls and get a one-on-one with the keeper? Not that often imho.

Big is useful when you're going to get buffetted (eg. shoulder challenges), which is typical of play in the attacking third when the defense is covering. Also if you want to sit in the box and try to head goals.

Eto'o no doubt is better in a straight race, but Adriano's not too shabby either on speed .. on the other hand you're not going to see Eto'o getting too many headed goals or goals in the box except on the break.

Adriano can use his dribbling skills and physical presence to shrug off challenges and get into the box to shoot, whereas Eto'o will likely fall and get a free kick. A free kick's not bad, but it favours the defense because they get time to setup. I'd take the first situation at any time.

Basically Adriano can, practically speaking, do all that Eto'o can and more. That's why I'm saying that Adriano will be more effective than Eto'o. This is not a statement that "big > small" but that "Adriano > Eto'o" because Adriano's so exceptional, please disregard my first post .. I misquoted myself :D

6. 0-Point

0-Point Member

Jun 5, 2004
    Quantum flux
    I like. :cool:

7. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sheva has to be top. He is the best forward on the planet and has been at that level for years. Henry is wonderful and his strike rate is quite good but I'd rank him a little behind Sheva based on Sheva's ability to score with his head. I like Adriano (more than Eto) but until he puts together a record like Sheva and Henry he'll be ranked behind them in my opinion. However, I wouldn't be surprised if he claims the title on the next couple of years. Eto would be right behind Adriano and fairly far from Sheva and Henry due to less of a history and worse strike rate at club and country level.

8. number20

number20 New Member

Nov 8, 2004
    oops, i posted in the wrong thread i think

9. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Eto'o is not the best player in the World right now.

10. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    Adriano is 5 times better than Eto'o

11. ELADO

ELADO New Member

Aug 9, 2005
    washington dc usa
    do we still agree on this statement? just checking the pulse of my BS brothers if you guys still agree on this statement 2 years after it was made!! peace!

12. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    Adriano's left foot is 5 times better than Eto'o but only when he can be bothered. ;)

13. Bertje

Bertje New Member

Nov 10, 2004
    Leiden
    He's on of the best strikers in the world. Don't you think that's enough?

14. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    Unless you've watched a group of assembled football stars playing on a beach somewhere while on holiday, I think it's pretty much impossible to say who's the best player in the world right now. We'll have to wait and see till the leagues and the CL proper start won't we.

15. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Is this the new Nike ad? It sounds very familiar. :D

16. johan neeskens

Jan 14, 2004
    What can I say, I'm a copywriter after all.