Is SAF buying too many youngsters

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by cristiano_007, Sep 8, 2004.

1. cristiano_007

cristiano_007 Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Is Sir Alex buying too many players to play for reserve teams and under eighteens? I think that he is trying to build a team noe so he wont have to buy players later down the road. What do u think?

2. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are victims of the new youth rules about not being able to sign any domestic youth players who live more than 90 minutes from the training ground. If these talented youths don't live close enough, we can't bring them in. So, we have resorted to buying these overseas players when they are still young to fill out our youth teams and compensate. It's not like we are spending through the roof for these players either. Sir Alex is definitely paying attention to the youth system and I'm glad he's concerned about his lasting legacy when he finally does retire.

3. cristiano_007

cristiano_007 Member

Jun 6, 2004
    Oh I really did not know about the 90 mins rule but what do u think will become of these youth squads i have seen the Rossi goal and it showed me that manU have a few good younsters in eagles and rossi.

Question are these young players from overseas ok players at their native club or is the man U youth system craeting these young, future great players?

4. tscboys

tscboys Member+

Sep 7, 2004
    Tulsa
    IMO wat fergie is really doing is he is securing the longterm future of this great club, simply because this er next could be his last season coaching us...

5. Robert25

Robert25 New Member

Jun 1, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I did not know about the 90 mintue rule, any extra info on this? On the surface it sounds dumb, practically forcing local players to go to teams all over the place.

But I think SAF is doing the right thing by getting these youngsters. Some are going to have to wait a while but they will have their chance.

6. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, well, the rule is real. Trust me. (even if I don't live in Manchester :rolleyes: )

Sir Alex is busy laying the groundwork for the next United dynasty.

He's not buying cover for the current first teamers either, he's trying the find young players to push the current first teamers off the squad. Ruthless? Maybe. Smart? Oh yeah...

7. Rick B

Rick B Member

Aug 26, 2003
    Harare, Zimbabwe
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Zimbabwe

You don't live in Manchester? Well how do you think you know anything? If you don't live there you can't be a real fan and actually know anything about football......... ;)

8. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look for my banner coming soon:

"KEEP THE UNITED FORUM CLEAN: MANC_SEAN AND CROCO DILE OUT"

:D

9. Perugina

Perugina Member

Aug 7, 2003
    Grand Rapids MI
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Speaking of youngsters...

Is Spector really that bad? He got no mention in the latest Soccernet article moaning about Man U's defensive losses.

10. United Forever

Apr 16, 2004
    Barbados
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Barbados
    Sorry I might be going off topic but who is Croco Dile?

11. johno

johno Member+

Jul 15, 2003
    in the wind
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    No... he has been playing well, but I don't think he will be considered for a CB role just yet...

He will stay at LB, with Silvestre and Heinze playing as the 2 CB's and Phil will come in on the right...

12. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right, though I wonder how they define "90 minutes". Seems kind of vague to define it by the time it takes to drive. I mean, what if we got Jay Kay to pick up the kids? Then we could recruit them from Glasgow to London! :D

14. therealronaldo7

therealronaldo7 New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    I am happy SAF is going out and getting youngsters. Pique and Rossi were good recent signings. That is a great way to build your team. I hope SAF and Manchester United keep doing that. It will help the team down the road. These players may not make immediate differences, but they are good to have and develop.

15. RedDevil13

RedDevil13 New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Illinois USA
    Agree, it is good that they are keeping an eye on the future. Some of the old warhorses will need to be replaced at some point.

16. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    You'll never win the league with kids! heh ;)

17. RedMenace

RedMenace New Member

Jun 20, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    So? Just furnish them each with a personal aircraft and pilot, then the 90 minute radius expands considerably. :)

18. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Its not 90 minutes, its 90 miles

19. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    What a silly rule - its a rule that will... oh ******** it. I don't want to derail this thread. Never mind.