Is Roy Keane a Psycho?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by lond2345, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Cokane

Cokane New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Derry, Ireland (Resi
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Re: The Godwin's Law brigade

Re: The Godwin's Law brigade (mainly for the benefit of Matt Clark...)

You are a sorry soul aren't you ... dear dear dear.

I hate to be inversely snobbish but I'm glad I didn't know what Godwin's Law meant - I really am... but now that I do, and since it is obvious that you want to make an issue of it, I took the liberty of finding out what it really meant.

http://www.faqs.org/faqs/usenet/legends/godwin/

Here's a quick quote:

"5. What should I do if somebody else invokes Godwin's Law?

The obvious response is to call them on it, say "thread's over", and declare victory. This is also one of the stupidest possible responses, because it involves believing far too much in the power of a few rules that
    don't say exactly what you wish they said anyway. The proper response to an invocation is probably to simply followup with a message saying "Oh. I'm a Nazi? Sure. Bye" and leave, and in most cases even that much of a post is unnecessary. "

Seeing that my reference to Hitler was not an insult in any way, it is clear that you completely misinterpreted my comment, and also this 'rule'. So, now we all know that you are, to quote your colourful expression, an 'intellectually stunted drop-kick'....

Congratulations.

2. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    God, you've spent, like - what, three days? - brooding over this? It wasn't even me who invoked that famous dictum, it was Superdave.

Get a life, tosspot.

3. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bloody hell, Viera has 8 red cards in Arsenal colours and he's only how old?

Give us more please. We feed on scouser whinging like this... Go on!!!

4. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    He he he - "whinging". LOL!

The case, he am closed.

5. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mmmmm...... TASTY!

Keep it coming! Oh the joy of it all.... :)

6. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    arf ... that's really poor, man.

7. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just trying to match the master of piss poor efforts.

8. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    What - Cokane?

Yeah ... not bad. Not bad at all. You two should get married or something.

9. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I'm talking about you. It's plain to see. Even an uneducated wank as yourself should know.

Ch-ch-ch-cheers

10. Cokane

Cokane New Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Derry, Ireland (Resi
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I have much better things to do than spend hour after hour, day after day on the net - unlike you 'little man'. My Dad and I were in Donegal savouring the beautiful coastal scenery for the last few days. I only got back today and decided to respond to your idiocy...

And who brought it up is irrelevant. At least superdave seems to have a sense of humour about it. You tried to twist the meaning to try and score points in your petty little game of self righteous back patting. Well done sir... well done.

11. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Is Roy Keane a Psycho?

Not only that but Vieira was sent off 8 times in two and 1/2 years (a disciplinary record that makes Roy Keane look like Gary Linaker - at least his 10 sendings off happened in 7 years).

12. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Twist the meaing? I just explained it to you. At least I was kind enough to leave out the last part of "you lose, sucks to be you". Superdave and another chap weighed in with that one.

Must be their superior sense of humour ... :rolleyes:

What is it with you and people blatantly taking the piss out of you? You're like a one man parody of the three monkeys.

Now do toddle off, there's a good chap.

13. Andy

Andy New Member

Dec 23, 1998
    NYC
    Re: Re: Re: Is Roy Keane a Psycho?

Unlike Keane, Vieira has actually learned to control his temper. Keane is older, a lot less mature, and has little to no sense of morales. If you need proof, then watch last years Arsenal match at OT. United did everything to wind up the Arsenal players.

14. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Is Roy Keane a Psycho?

Why don't you watch last WEEK'S match of Arsenal and tell me about Viera again. However, I guess the expletive intensive tirade he hurled at D'urso wasn't televised....

And before you go on about about "vendetta's": May I mention David Ellerey who has sent off Roy Keane at least 3 times, and has been known to send Utd players off for kicking a ball away when he couldn't possibly have heard the whistle.

15. SpamIAm

SpamIAm New Member

Mar 31, 2000
    Arlington, Va.
    I watched the replay of Man. U v. Sunderland last night for fun and found -- surprise -- that Keane was probably one of the best players on the field.

His only moment of true anger came after McAteer brought him down after he won the ball. It was a pretty tame response given that Keane was already injured enough to have surgery three days later.

Beckham, if anyone, looked a little out-of-control for parts of the second half.

Keane's reaction to the red card was also pretty tame. He briefly said his peace and walked off, which is more than I can say for Viera's reaction a day later.

These claims that Keane is some wild-eyed monster either come from people who support rival teams or from chicken$#$% little skirts who never played the game and get their rocks off bashing players on the Internet.

By the way, Claudio Reyna is the man.

16. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    All the more reason to suggest that the elbow to McAteer was as premeditiated as the Haaland. The game was ending, so the red card wouldn't have had an impact on the result, and he figured he'd get in a shot at somebody who had sided with McCarthy (and worse, took the Ireland armband - Keane's birthright - from him for a game) and take the suspension because he'd be out with surgery anyway. The only difference is that he'd learned enough to not try to end his career.

What would you expect Keane's reaction to be? He knew what he did in full knowledge of what the consequences would be. Vieira's cards were at least attempts to play the ball (or disguised as such).

Dave

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not interested in the subjunctive mood. I'm interested in what he did done do.

And what he did was sneak up on someone and whack him.

18. SpamIAm

SpamIAm New Member

Mar 31, 2000
    Arlington, Va.
    The elbow to McAteer was opportunistic. Keane saw a chance to have a last go and he took it, just like competitive players in similar situations do across the world.

It wasn't vicious. It was a nudge, a signal that Keane hadn't forgotten what happened earlier. McAteer was soon up waving off the ref's red card. In fact, McAteer was more pissed at Beckham for getting in his face for falling down so easily.

If I were Keane, I would have simply shoved McAteer as I passed, since McAteer was already stumbling. The ref probably would have either let it go or shown yellow.

Either way, the idea that this was another in a long line of wild assaults is bull$%$%.

19. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    You make it sound like a love tap.

Dave

20. Andy

Andy New Member

Dec 23, 1998
    NYC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is Roy Keane a Psycho?

I did watch last weeks game and he looked controlled when talking to the ref, both times. After the second card his back was to the camera. Do you know what he said? Besides, my post was more about retaliatory fouls and getting would up during a match, something that Vieira now controls and Keane doesn't.

21. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is Roy Keane a Psycho?

From the FA: Arsenal's Patrick Vieira has been charged with misconduct by the FA for foul and abusive language after his dismissal against Chelsea. The Football Association informed the Gunners they were charging the midfielder on Tuesday after accusing him of "making abusive and/or insulting words to the match official" when he was sent off against Chelsea on Sunday.

"Abusive and/or insulting words" is a clear sign of control on Viera's part, eh?

22. Andy

Andy New Member

Dec 23, 1998
    NYC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is Roy Keane a Psycho?

You don't even know what he said. Its not like he got sent off for elbowing a player or is being suspended for trying to take another player out and then being stupid enough to write about it in a book.

23. Motterman

Motterman Member

Jul 8, 2002
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't and you don't, but the FA does - and they have acted on it. That says it all for me.

No, he just takes a player out, and then just because he doesn't write about it in a book, he's a misunderstood angel on the pitch? Too right!

This should be required reading around here:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/sporttop/page.cfm?objectid=12172160&method=full&siteid=50143

OLIVER HOLT: KEANE HYPOCRITES ARE SICK

The first wave of bile has come and gone and now the slow minds of Middle England are starting to click and whirr and crank into their knuckle-dragging mob mentality.

Oh yeah, the apocalyptic garbage about Roy Keane is piling up so high you need more than wings to stay above it. You need a lift from Captain Kirk.

Okay, so the guy behaved like a bloody idiot at the Stadium of Light on Saturday when he elbowed Jason McAteer in the side of the face.

He deserved to be sent off, he deserves some of the criticism for an act of violence and he deserves the three-match ban that's heading his way fast.

And while we're at it, no, it doesn't seem right or fair that he should serve it while he's recovering from a hip operation.

What he didn't deserve was the cesspool of self-righteous, self-important, misguided, deluded, lazy, pack-driven, pompous, pretentious attempts at character assassination that have been aimed his way since.

Keane gets his first red card for nearly 12 months and suddenly all sorts of morons are climbing out of the woodwork saying he needs to be locked up in a rubber bedroom.

They say they are concerned for his state of mind, that he might be cracking up, that he needs help, that he's brought shame on his club and on football.

The guy takes his dog for a walk now and again and it's presented as a sure sign he's teetering on the verge of a nervous breakdown. If Eric Cantona was anointed an idiot because he used a metaphor about seagulls following trawlers, Keane's barking because he walks the dog and tells the truth in a book. How crazy can you get?

There are even a few individuals out there claiming to know how best he should conquer the demons they want to believe are still swirling around his mind because he's given up alcohol.

They're not quarrelling with the fact that he's stopped drinking. They're just saying he's done it the wrong way. Generally, these people have Tony Adams as their model.

Forget for a minute that some of these miserable sinners presuming to dish out this advice walk around the place as if they've had a frontal lobotomy.

"You, too, can be like me," they're saying, without realising that being like them isn't necessarily a goal for every recovering alcoholic. Without realising that not everyone can turn their lives around as successfully and admirably as Adams did. Without realising that not everyone is as mentally strong as Adams.

Funny these people should only target Keane as well. Strange that we didn't hear them them saying the same thing about Patrick Vieira, who got another sending off to add to his tally the next day.

Nobody questions his sanity, says he needs help, says he might be about to crack up, or that we should pack him off to the funny farm.

Strange, too, that Leeds forward Alan Smith should be described admiringly as "combative" after his England call-up this week whereas Keane is widely referred to as "brutal".

And then there was what Keane did to Phil Neville at the Stadium of Light. That seems to have provoked considerable alarm within the minds of sensitive flowers like Alan Hansen.

Let's forget for a second that Keane apologised to Neville in the United changing room after the game for giving him a shove on the pitch.

Instead, let's remember how we reacted when Aliou Cisse gave his Birmingham City team-mate, Robbie Savage, a good, hard push during their match with Leeds on Saturday.

That kind of passion, everyone agreed, would stand Birmingham in good stead this season. Not many sides would outmuscle them. Good on yer, Aliou.

Hansen, though, was having none of that as he told us in his new and rather costly column in the Daily Telegraph.

(Oh, and before we go on, it would be rude to omit the small detail that The Telegraph was slavering like a mad dog to sign Keane up for a megabucks column last season until he told them where to stick it.)

"Examining Keane's track record," Hansen wrote, "we could be facing a situation when at some stage this player is judged no longer fit to captain Manchester United."

Right, Alan. And who was your captain during your glory years at Anfield? Oh yeah, a Scottish chap called Graeme Souness, well known for being a shrinking violet.

You only needed to read Vinnie Jones in The Times the same day to know just where Keane stands in the pantheon of soccer's hard men alongside Souness.

"All this about Roy wanting to do people," Vinnie said. "He never did that. He ain't a Jimmy Case or a Graeme Souness. They would come and f****** sort you out."

So either Hansen remonstrated nobly with his own captain from day to day, telling him the kind of retribution he meted out on a weekly basis just jolly well wasn't acceptable, or he's near the front of the queue when it comes to doling out hypocrisy.

Amid the screaming of the madmen, in fact, only ITV's Andy Townsend had the guts to inject a small dose of perspective into proceedings.

He'd committed far worse fouls than Keane's elbow on McAteer, he said, pointing out that if Keane had meant to cause him any serious harm, McAteer would not have got up.

Still, it would be an awful shame to let a little thing like perspective get in the way of such a fine bear-baiting contest.

The bandwagon is picking up speed and the mob can smell Keane's blood. Some of them can even feel a lynching coming on.

All in all, Keane has probably taken the only sensible course of action available. With all those lunatics raging around outside, a hospital is the safest place for him.

24. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Do you have to defend everything your club does without having an opinion of your own? The point is that neither Vieira's nor Keane's many offences over the years should be taken lightly or not punished appropriately, but that if you write about deliberately setting out to injure someone in a book, then all you can expect is to have the FA come down on you like a ton of bricks.

Over the Summer Keane seems to have lost the plot a bit and believe me, I think that Eamon Dunphy has a lot to answer for with his 'creative licence' in writing Keane's book. I'm sure that when Keane told him about the Haaland incident, he was salivating at the thought of the newspaper serialization, the storm of controversy and indeed his own increased notoriety that would result.

25. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This whole post has turned in to one big cluster************ of bitter angry statements directed at each other and I realize that I was one of the worst offeneders of that type of thing with my verbal lashing at Sinner, and as much of and egotistical prick as he may be bashing anyone who views this situation from a diffrent viewpoint as himself he and everyone else he has the right to say whats on there mind but why cant we keep it about ROY KEANE, not our personal dislike of the club he plays for or the people who support him and his actions, On a side note not one of us has been on the pitch with Roy Keane or Vieria as far as I know anyway, and to sit here and go on and on for days about the way they play the game is nuts, the red cards they have recived over the years are for many diffrent offenses and really we have no right to sit here behind our computers and be critics of a person(s) we dont know. The foul this weekend was no big deal it was just bad timing and the tackle on Halland was an awful challenge be it purposeful or not we dont need to worry about it anymore its over whatever the FA decides will stand and thats all that really matters. Internet debates(while fu and interresting) over the morality of what he did make no real diffrence in the outcome of his charges if found guilty he will suffer the conquences. I am moving to put an end to this post because there will be the supporters and detractors of Keane and that will not change, it will just cause more chaos in this post. To all those out there that support Keane ( I am one of them) the man is great at playing football but a bit of a bad decision maker at times we need to accept that, to all those who oppose Keane you have your reasons and thats fine but dont be so hypocritical about everything and act like hes the first player you have ever seen make a bad tackle or get into an on feild skirmish, also anyone who has played at any level has at one time though about getting someone back for a bad foul or trash talikng on the pitch dont act like you havent this happens when the compitition gets heated and your normal decision making proces is a bit altered so lighten up and quit being so self serving while you ride your high horse to moral perfection.