Is Robert Carlyle a Red?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by cossack, Aug 27, 2002.

1. cossack

cossack Member

Loons
    United States
    Mar 5, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a poster for some new film coming out and he's wearing last year's kit under a jacket but still quite conspicuous. The film is called "something 51" and it also has some hip-hop star in it. I'd have to go back out the block to the bus stop to tell y'all exactly the title. Anyhoo, pretty cool to come home from work and see that.

2. JRedknapp11

JRedknapp11 Red Card

Dec 5, 2001
    tsacademy.net
    Did you ever see the Mel C ads for her last cd.... they had a few sweet subway ads posted on the 1&9 routes awhile back with her wearing the LFC kit.

I busted out my sharpie and wrote Everton blows on the bottom. Always nice too see some LFC gear over here.

3. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    It's called "The 51st State" and was filmed in Liverpool. I forgot how, but LFC is featured in it somewhere besides Carlyle's Fowler kit. The other guy isn't a hip hop star, but Samuel L. Jackson.

Dave

4. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jackson does like Liverpool btw. Carlyle is a supporter of a Scottish team if memory serves.

5. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    The climax of the film takes place, in part, in an executive box at Anfield. Hence the connection. In the film, Robert Carlisle takes Samuel L Jackson to see a game and it all kicks off there.

In real life, Samuel L Jackson came to see LFC play about three times during his months on Merseyside filming. He is an avowed fan of the city (he had never been before) and enjoyed the games. He was even in my local once. Now THAT was a sight. Even though it's not uncommon to see vast black men, surrounded by other vast black men in the pubs around Liverpool, there's something about Jackson that kinda raises him above local gangster level in appearance, you know what I mean? ;)

6. cossack

cossack Member

Loons
    United States
    Mar 5, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the scoop on this. Can't wait to see the film.

7. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not long after filming this Jackson was on Letterman saying very complimentary things about the city, LFC and the film in general.

Him and Mike Myers need to make a film together.

8. LiverpoolFanatic

Liverpool FC, Philadelphia Union
    Feb 19, 2000
    Lancaster, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Is Robert Carlyle a Red?

That would be a bit odd wouldn't it.

9. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: Re: Is Robert Carlyle a Red?

Well my reference is to the fact that they are both Reds fans. I could see Jackson as a "baddie" in one of Myers' Austin Powers films though.