Is MLS under some kind of rain curse?!

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by LordRobin, May 7, 2011.

1. LordRobin

LordRobin Member+

Sep 1, 2006
    Akron, OH
    Club:
    Cleveland C. S.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching Seattle at Columbus. Yet another match played in a downpour, just like the game at Portland yesterday, and the game at Dallas five days before that. I honestly have lost count of the number of games in this young season played, not just in rain, but pouring, heavy, nasty rain.

Am I nuts, or is this worse than usual? Yeah, I know, spring weather and all that, but it just seems that MLS has had horrible luck this year. It seems every storm system that forms has at least one, if not two MLS matches played in it.

So what do we do? Indian anti-rain dance? Cover the stadium with those little totems the Japanese use to ward off rain? Sacrifice something to Poseidon? Attach little umbrellas to everyone's uniforms?

------RM

2. QuietType

QuietType Member+

Jun 6, 2009
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's a wet year.

3. krudmonk

krudmonk Member+

Mar 7, 2007
    S.J. Sonora
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Oh my god, it rained in Portland?

4. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't blame us Indians for your global warming.

5. Kejsare

Kejsare Member+

Portland Timbers
    Mar 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    April was the 3rd wettest on record in Portland. May is trending above average. Unusually wet and colder temps in Oregon. I've seen less then 10 days above 60 so far this year.

6. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame Al Gore. :eek:

7. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Pacific Northwest and the North in general get a lot of rain. I had the joy of visiting the Alaska coastline during the summer--it was so beautiful but it rained almost 3 days out of every week.

8. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rain and broken legs, they seem to go together.

9. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Yea Columbus has had bad weather for every home game this year which has really hurt our attendance. Hopefully things clear up for our next home game so people can stop trying to compare us to New England.

10. TheUltra

TheUltra Member

Mar 23, 2008
    2.4 Miles from home
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All but one Crew home game has been played under rain. In the 30 days in april there were only 8 days of sunshine that did not have rain in C-bus.

Getting rid of Guille has angered the gods and we are doomed to rainy home games until he retires... ;)

11. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    so when does his season in Argentina end.:D and he will be back with Padula helping create great soccer players in Columbus (hopefully will be an extension to the Crew Academy).

12. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I think it is because Osama just died that's why we had this kind of weather.

13. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I thought it was because the God of Thunder just made it to US theatres this weekend. lol

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOddp-nlNvQ"]YouTube - Thor - Trailer (OFFICIAL)[/ame]

14. Krammerhead

Krammerhead Guest

Is it a curse from the gods because they buried him at sea, which is essentially polluting the ocean?

15. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With Texas' drought, every MLS game should be played at PHP for a month or two.

16. Timber Fanatic

Apr 22, 2005
    Portland Oregon
    I've already attended more "RAINY" matches this season than the last five years combined. Sure there have been plenty of matches with dark, cloudy & a bit sprinkly weather, but when it comes to watching a match in driving rain this year is tops.

I think 4 out of 5 matches this season have been of the RAINY variety. :mad:

17. idriveavw

idriveavw BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    that's fine. we always win when it's raining. except in 2009. we never won in 2009. :(

18. Skyler

Skyler New Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Left Coast
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Living in the Pacific NW for the time being, amazed on how much it has rained up here, holy cow....more so the number of days it rains rather the amount. For example, it seems it will rain .20 every day for 10 days straight (2 inches total), in NY it will pour for the entire day and that will be 2 inches...it will be sunny for the remainder. I hear the Pac-Northwest has incredible 3-4 months of summers though.

19. Shopping Cart Man

Sep 21, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the Galaxy home opener against New England should've given it away.

20. Ajas

Ajas Member

Sep 23, 2009
    3eattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    I grew up in St Louis... the PNW knows nothing about real torrential rain.

When KC's stadium opening rolls around, we will all know whether God loves or hates MLS.... or maybe is just testing our courage. :D

21. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    DC United hasn't had a single rainy home game this year. Early last year was much worse.

22. DCUSKINS

DCUSKINS Member

May 26, 2008
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's because the rainy days are being saved for later in the summer. Here in MN it's been unseasonably cool the whole year. There was a graphic that through May 3rd, compared to 35 days of 60+ degree days in 2010, there were only 10 this year. 2012 is coming with a vengeance. :)

23. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    It doesn't matter because the good ones of us are going to be transported, ascended to heaven or whatever happens on May 21st. :rolleyes: :D

While I'm sure being a DC United fan is what gets you saved, it would suck because I wouldn't be able to see anymore home games.