Is Mathis toast?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by macheath, Dec 13, 2005.

1. Bigdudeduke

Bigdudeduke New Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Chicago Suburbs
    I posted on Aug 7, 2005 in regard to the Romo v Mathis issue and I think it still applies today:
    Originally Posted by fox3c
    Mathis still didn't have to act like he did, going on a tirade, charging around, kicking the ball into the stands. Act like a professional, let the ref handle it, that's why he's there.

You are correct, Sir! In an interview shown today, Mathis stated that he thought his "Physical" fitness was the main reason why he wasn't part of the USMNT player pool. Today he proved that it's more than just his physical fitness that's holding him back, it's his "Mental" fitness, too!

Mathis has taken himself out of the game, not the reverse.

2. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. strawberryfields

strawberryfields Red Card

Dec 13, 2005
    Oak bluff way.
    Tanquaray baby ! .. makes me thirsty.

4. strawberryfields

strawberryfields Red Card

Dec 13, 2005
    Oak bluff way.
    Why doesn't BA talk to Mathis, give him a last chance and tell him that he has to do what it takes to be a national team player, give him a kiss on a forehead and tell him, i love you mathis......

5. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Hopefully this works out Its sad to see a player who was playing so well for the US get so high and fall so fast

While he training he should change his attitude then he MAY get called up

I think he still has it and has a slim chance of making it

6. Al Trost 76

Al Trost 76 New Member

Dec 11, 2005
    Sedona, AZ
    I liked Young Mathis better than Fat Mathis.

[​IMG]

7. uiriamu

uiriamu Member

Mar 16, 2005
    Philly, (NC)
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given recent events between Fulham and the Crew, maybe Mathis can revive his Nats career as a midfielder for an EPL team.

8. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Eddie Pope was on RSL, too, but his Nats career is still intact. Mathis had his chance to act like a professional in 2005, and he flunked. He can still come back & reclaim his club career (I'm not holding my breath), but I think his national team career is over. At some point you've just got to move on to the players who actually can focus & improve.

9. Henry Porter

Henry Porter Member

Dec 9, 2005
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a former collegiate striker I would like to respond. Strikers by nature have to be a bit selfish to be successful. Balancing that with being a good teammate can be hard, I can't imagine doing it on a world stage where everyone you know is telling you that you're responsible for the team's achievements. Keepers are strange, however. ;)

10. Klay

Klay Member

Feb 28, 2005
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats becuz Eddie didnt have to score with a non existent offensive to stay on the radar..