Is it too early to complain about venues for the Hex?

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Revolt, Nov 18, 2004.

1. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    9K in Columbus. Hey, nice job with attendance. Not. Same for Foxboro. Please inject some variety of locations for qualifiers.

My choices for the Hex:

Mexico: Columbus (one qualifier between Columbus and Foxboro is enough)
    Guatamala: Portland
    T&T: HDC
    Costa Rica: Kansas City/Denver
    Panama: Frisco

2. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Foxboro turns out good crowds normally, and you need to go easy on Columbus, I meant, the game was meaningless. Having said that, I think you're suggestions are good but for one glaring problem: The west coast venues are tough for the Euro based players. If the games yuo plan for the West coast are in between Euro seasons, then I think their ok. Otherwise, it's a problem.

3. Elliott

Elliott Member

Oct 28, 1999
    Columbus, OH
    9K in Columbus, because of crappy rain all day. Also Andrulis has ruined the city for soccer for at least the next 6 months.

4. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It'll be interesting to see who gets the game usually scheduled for RFK.

and Kraft has to get one game in Gillette as a reward for propping up MLS to an extent. I think it might be written into a contract signed in blood.

5. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    I'd really like to see one at the Orange Bowl, but that's because I live down here.

6. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    T&T match?

7. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    And I'd like to see The US play mexico in NEW York because I live here. But that idea, like yours, might be the stupidest thing ever.

8. socrne1

socrne1 Member

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Feb 12, 2003
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your right it would be...kind of like putting the US vs. mexico in Chicago. I hope Chicago will get a qualifier.

9. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The west coast venues are tough for the Euro based players. If the games yuo plan for the West coast are in between Euro seasons, then I think their ok. Otherwise, it's a problem.[/QUOTE]
    Good point.

10. gettysburg32

gettysburg32 New Member

Jul 19, 2003
    Around VA and PA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too early? LOL, this has been going on, well, since the moment Korea/Japan ended. Anyway... here's my two cents

Mexico - Columbus (that one seems obvious, which means that USSF will certainly do something different)

Costa Rica - (if out of Euro season) Portland/Seattle or (if in Euro season) Charlotte (actually anywhere but the I-95 corridor please)

T&T - LA

Panama - (if out of Euro season) Denver or (if in) Foxboro

Guatemala - Kansas City

11. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    I too would like to see a game in NY for selfish reasons, along with the fact that we have had 1 friendly (USA- JAM, 2002) and 1 bogus friendly (USA- Pumas aka Mex, 2000) in the last 10 years. For a market that draws 70k for other soccer games, it would be nice to start building it for large US crowds, and being halfway between Boston & DC, two good markets, isn't bad either. But, I'd rather win the game than go to it, so if they have to play it in East Cheese, SD, fine w/me. Panama would not likely be an issue in NY (the way Honduras was in RFK in 2001), but anyway. Panama in DC wasn't an issue, NY shouldn't be that different as it is a small country. 30k with 1k Panamaniacs- we can handle that.

There is a rumor that Birmingham will get a qualie this time around, so we'll see. I think Portland/Seattle would be good for a June/July game (out of europe season, etc), and getting out of the RFK/Foxboro cycle probably is a good idea.

Could Frisco (Dallas) get a game, later in the year? I wonder. Surely not against Mexico, but T&T seems a possibility, and they do reward SSSs in the US, so you know a USMNT game will happen there in 2005/06, though maybe it's a friendly after we've (knock wood) qualified.

You have to figure The Fed is worried about maximizing $$ to an extent, so you think they would stick it in the largest markets, but a hex of Foxboro (Panama), Denver (Guat), Birmingham (Costa Rica), Seattle (T&T) and Columbus (Mexico) wouldn't be terrible, advantage- wise, and it would spread the games out across the country rather evenly. (Though you would expect HDC to get a game, and that isn't likely the best fivesome for revenue generation).

12. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wonder if the recent condemning of the upper deck at Legion Field will be problematic?

Upper Deck Closed at Legion Field

I saw the sold out USA-Argentina match in the 1996 Olympics, but I doubt a qualifier against anybody but Mexico would necessitate more than the 72,000 seats that are still okay.

[​IMG]

The upper deck is on the right side of the photo. It holds 9,000 people.

UAB still continues to play football there.

13. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this a rhetorical question?

14. Rei de Boston

Rei de Boston New Member

Mar 16, 2004
    Too true, too true. As much as I want to see a qualifier come to my front door, I want us to actually have a home field advantage more. So nothing in South Florida.

Maybe one of the ousted teams will have a friendly here. It is the most I can hope for.

15. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    Given the relative weakness of the hex, in the ebst of all worlds, usa should wrap up a top 3 slot prior to match day 9...and even possibly match day 8...

the last HOME match should be left open and a site selected late in the process, this might NOT be feasible considering CONCACAF wants match10s to be played at the SAME starting time...

still...I agree with those pushing seattle...kc...portland...dallas as venues...

the rfk..foxboro..columbus markets are OVER SATURATED....

let in some new blood...and if you want something in the east... try new york and philly...the dc and bostom brethren can drive a couple hours this time!!

16. bigtoga

bigtoga Member

Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    Dallas held the last USA:MEX game (friendly) so I'm pretty sure that one won't be coming back for next year (good turnout, though). To celebrate the new stadium, I'd love to see a bigger drawing game than the T&T match-up. The Burn have EJ(GAM) and we need to hype it up...

17. Cannon

Cannon Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Sep 2, 2001
    Washington, DC metro
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let see...RFK has had exactly one WCQ since 9/1/01 and managed to pull in about 20k on a wednesday night. We haven't had a meaningful game other than that since that September 2001 WCQ. Hardly oversaturated. The crowd did well in the Panama game, IMHO. However, with the baseball thing it looks like RFK might be out. Has that actually been confirmed though?

Foxboro only got >25k on a saturday and have had the gold cup since the last WCQ. However, they have brought good crowds in the past to WCQ and like the other East coast venues it is easy for our Euro-based guys to get in and out of there so writing them off for the hex seems silly. This is the second WCQ in Columbus in a row that got <10k so you are right about them.

Seattle and Portland won't work unless the Euro seasons are over or you plan on an all MLS squad so they are probably out. KC probably deserve a game and they've had good crowds in past WCQ.
    Dallas and Houston are possible but it is hard to predict what type of crowds we'd get there since I'm pretty sure we've only played Mexico there which we obviously would never do in WCQ.

18. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Throw the west coast a bone for once and there are places besides the Toolbox. Portland, Seattle or even Sacramento or the Bay Area would work(for me) as well.

19. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seattle's worked for friendlies-- why not for the games that matter?

Great stadium, and perhaps the best of the lot you mention here. Let's take advantage of that.