Is it time to let go of Montero?

Discussion in 'Seattle Sounders FC' started by netsfan549, Nov 20, 2012.

1. netsfan549

netsfan549 Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Should Sounders let him go?

2. Ganapper

Ganapper Member

Apr 5, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll answer this the same way I answer every season. Only for the right price and only if they are sure they can get an equivalent or better replacement.

FuzzyForeigner, scott47a and Sounder repped this.
  3. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you mean by let go? Do you mean not pick up the option on his contract, or sell him? If you mean that the Sounders shouldn't pick up the option on his contract, then the answer is an emphatic no. If you mean that the Sounders should finally accept one of the purchase offers, then the answer is an emphatic yes. I think Montero's development has gone as far as it can in MLS and he could really benefit from playing in a better league.

4. Main Man

Main Man Member

Jul 22, 2009
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Only if we can replace him with a substantially better forward. I don't see that happening. So no. Rosales on the other hand...

5. scott47a

scott47a Member+

Seattle Sounders FC; Arsenal FC
    Feb 6, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the right answer. Would like to think it's possible though if they are willing to spend several million dollars to do so. Based on Hanauer's comments about stregthening the top of the squad one would hope they have something like that in mind.

guelch27 repped this.
  6. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Montero it's now or never for a significant move to Europe at 25, another year would make him 26 and with 1 year left till WC it would shrink his chances even more.

Aside from that the Sounders need a 20 a season goal scorer.... Montero is not him.

7. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    In today's Seattle Times Backtalk section, Tony Chursky had this to say about Montero...

"I do not dispute that this lad has some tidy foot skills and that he can sometimes execute some marvelous passing. But he has consistently failed to produce on big occasions."

And for those of you not in their mid forties, Tony did play the game, even important ones like...

8. Vander Decken IX

Feb 13, 2011
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    It's not every year that you see a 20 goal scorer in MLS. He has consistently scored at least 10 goals per year since 2009 and that's good enough for me.

He's not Ljungberg. If he's happy in Seattle, why throw him away?

So he doesn't see the RSL(away) game as "big occasion"? For all I know, he drew Beltran at the right moment to make Martinez wide open.

I don't care about what Chursky did before. All I see is another one of those Montero haters.

RHMCW repped this.
  9. dmain

dmain Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    watch the video. Infamous Chursky howler.

Kappa74 repped this.
  10. Kappa74

Kappa74 Member+

Feb 2, 2010
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Yeah, I kinda got a chuckle reading him call out Montero for not stepping-up in the playoffs.

11. dmain

dmain Member

Mar 4, 2003
    Gig Harbor, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was the first thing that came to mind when I read the quote.

12. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Montero makes good money in the MLS. His chances of the NT are very very slim regardless where he plays. We have 4 wingers better than him and at least 5 CFs better then him. He isn't on the NT because he is in the MLS(Carlos Valdez of Phili starts sometimes for us now) but because we just have way better options.

Montero hasn't really developed at all since coming to the MLS. Hell I think he was a better player before he came here. He still has the same issues he had as a youth player.

The price you guys would get for him is probably not much more than you paid for him. His age and the fact he isn't going to get much better than he is now. What EPL,Portugese, French, Spanish or Italian team could he really start for? The MLS need to keep it's better players and not lose them to Mexico, or 3rd rate euro leagues like Denmark and Norway.

13. phoenixhazard

phoenixhazard Member+

Oct 26, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Montero has moments of brilliance but it inconsistent and really has no clue how to play well when it actually matters. When it comes to splashing out that kind of cash DPs require they need to play well at the biggest occasion, the playoffs, and he has never done that.

EJ is the way forward

14. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Heard he just signed with Millos in Colombia. I doubt any colombian team can pay more than $3 million for any player. Think it's Bs but that is the current rumor

15. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been hearing about that rumor for several weeks now.. Well, not that he'd been signed, but that he was getting interest from them.. That coupled with Honey Badger getting a look in England could result in a windfall for the Sounders in allocation money... I'd hate to lose either one, but if it comes to that, we'd better make a big signing to replace them...

16. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I heard he is in Bogota now. Which is weird because his family is from Cali. Most realistic thing if he does go to Millos is you guys loaned him to play the Copa Lib to try to get as much money as you can in the summer. Millos doesn't have the money to buy him and his value isn't going to raise unless he plays a big international tournie.

17. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmm.. I hope it isn't a loan. That doesn't free up a DP spot and means we've switched from a revolving door of crap standing next to Montero to a revolving door of crap standing next to EJ... I would hope that anything that involves Montero not playing with the team next season removes him completely from the roster (and deposits a pile of cash in his wake, of course)...

18. crzdcolombian

crzdcolombian Member+

Jul 17, 2006
    Avon,CT
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Again you guys aren't getting more than the 3 million you invested in him(or did he cost more?). His value defiantly hasn't gone up since coming from Colombia. Guy isn't really a prospect any more. You guys should have cashed in when Ajax/Fulham wanted him 1-2 seasons ago.

19. FuzzyForeigner

Oct 29, 2003
    WA
    Club:
    Seattle
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    dude is on his honey moon in colombia. that is all. ciao bello.

20. soundersFCfan

soundersFCfan Member

Dec 15, 2008
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    looks like you called this correctly