"Is It Over Yet?" January Transfer Wrap

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by el-capitano, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StiltonFC

StiltonFC He said to only look up -- Guster

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you have your dreams and i have mine. the Coriolis Effect doesn't screw up my dreams the way it does yours...

oh, and in a cunning way, "screw" is appropriate in that context...sort of.

2. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    It's not to be greedy or anything but this is our 4th straight Transfer window where our net spending is practically 0.

It's not as if i really wanted us to spend big this transfer window, cause the sensible thing to do is buying in the summer transfer window.

All i want to point out is that NESV are still in debt and i fully expect them to invest now in our squad. The signings have been great but they were financed by the Torres and Babel sales, so lets not get fooled by that.

3. Grinners89

Grinners89 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Stop it! Stop it!

You're erecting a strong emotion in me with pieces of art like that.

4. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you EVER use that word again, i'm gonna report you...

soooo...tell me to whom i can report you, please.

5. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Inception...maybe we can "screw" with Momo's brain in his sleep and actually make him believe that he can firstly, control the ball and secondly, pass the ball to a teammate.

Or it could be just as "screwed" up as The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus...some very odd vibes coming from that movie.

Anyway, great vibes at Liverpool FC. Kenny, Carroll, Suarez and no Paul + supermum...drinks on me!

6. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    By his own deduction, Twenty26Six is a "responsible adult"...so make of that what you will, but you can certainly report it to him.

7. Cody667

Cody667 Member+

May 10, 2010
    Sudbury, ON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

I was thinking about this too, however I'm not that worried because NESV said all along that they won't be going into their own pockets until the summer. We must also remember that we had been going for Suarez all month without expecting the Torres thing to happen, so really if we kept Torres and never made the Carroll signing we would have ended up spending during this window.

You're absolutely right though in that we are still within our rights as fans to expect investment during the summer, like they promised. So if we're selling to buy in the summer again there's going to be both disappointment and anger from the fans.

That being said, I fully expect we will see investment in the summer. Henry showed he really cares by taking 2 risks on two very bright looking players.

8. liverbird

liverbird BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 29, 2000
    Mars
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WTF do you want? The tried to spend 10 million on Charlie ********ing Adam and close to 20 on Ashley Young. Got turned down but kept it up to the end. Jesus I'm tired of this hating on businessmen for being businessmen.

9. Twenty26Six

Twenty26Six Feeling Sheepish...

Jan 2, 2004
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Look at you two bonding! And, the only thing I thought you both had in common was a surgically repaired hip?

Of course, stilts is like 65+, so he should probably one... :)

10. kindred

kindred New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Chapel Hill
    Yes, but it wasn't for lack of effort. As of two days ago there was going to be an outlay of 23mn for Suarez, plus they were working on Young and Adam. Net outlay could have been north of 30mn, easily. Then the Torres situation happened and they ran out of time. All reports had them in on Young for more than 15mn and Adam for another 8mn, but the teams wouldn't sell. Had they had another week I'm sure they would have landed other targets. I don't think they're trying to fool anyone.

They did good business swapping Torres for Carroll + 15mn. I'm sure that excess money will still be there in the summer when it will go farther. Considering that the realistic goal for this season is finishing 6th, it's fine that it wasn't all spent at once. But FSG have been clear that they want to build the brand. That is done by going deep in CL every year, and that takes investment. They know what they're in for, and they're ready for it.

I think FSG sent a major message by signing Suarez without selling first, and then again by landing Carroll rather than just sitting on Torres' money. We're in good hands.

The summer should be fun:

10mn surplus from the Torres/Babel - Carroll/Suarez swap (More, really, when you consider wages)
    16mn from Aquiliani
    5mn from Jova

That's an easy 30+mn before FSG puts in a penny, and not including any potential Konchesky, Cole, Poulsen, and other deadweight sales. Suppose those net 10mn and FSG chips in only what they were prepared to spend on Suarez -- 25mn. That's 65mn at least. Kenny and Commoli can do some damage with that.

11. poopoobigelow

poopoobigelow Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 3, 2007
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Egypt
    we were in for suarez and adam and probably young before torres pushed for his move... so, in a perfect world, we probably would have had an outlay of at least 25 mil (18 suarez, 7 adam), and as much as 40 (18 suarez, 7 adam, 15 young), and still had torres... that is intent for me...

carroll is where FSG showed their steel... the wisdom would have been to take back anelka for a quick-fix or loan for an adebayor-type and then regroup in the summer.... FSG put their faith in comolli and kenny and went out and got their #1 striker -- balls-to-the-wall.. he was deemed a must-have and we have him... adam and young weren't labelled must-haves -- they were just 'on the list' -- and that's why we don't have them (i, for one, believe some kind of arrangement has been made with lerner/houllier for young in the summer)... that kind of commitment is what's going to take us forward -- not some mud-on-the-wall scatter-bids like spurs and shrugging 'oh well' when no one bites... or the 'transfer kitty' where you end up with scraps after blowing your wad early like on johnson or, gulp, poulsen..

when we want someone, we'll be in for them and they will want to come... we'll look no more to selfish, glory-hunting, mega-stars with inflated egos and high wages... our targets will be young, talented and hungry and kenny will charm them into the fold... as much as i loved torres, we are better as a squad, and, more importantly we now know that we are better as a club today than we were a week ago... YNWA

12. HoopsfamMM

HoopsfamMM Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Round Rock TX
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Amen.

13. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Look at you, always attacking my sensitive spot.

Not fair.

14. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Because they went after unrealistic targets, while we went about rungs strategically and were working on this for the past 3 months. I don't know how much of a surprise Torres' transfer request was to the owners (my guess? They weren't as surprised as we were), and even if they didn't expect the windfall from Chelsea, they were prepared to spend.

15. ULL NEVER WALK ALONE

Sep 29, 2004
    Chile
    Club:
    Liverpool LFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    I was by no means criticizing the owners as i think we ended up really well with everything that happened the last couple of days. I would have been perfectly happy just with the Suarez signing before the Torres incident.

I just want NESV so follow up that interest on players like Young in the summer transfer window. That this is by no means "bussiness done" if they seriously want us to be a force once again.

16. Chimaera

Chimaera Member

Mar 26, 2009
    La Plata, Maryland
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they can do better than Adam in the summer.

Mata anyone?

17. Grinners89

Jul 8, 2007
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Most efficient left-winger in the world. Would be a decent pick up.

18. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best thing about this window is that it shows we have a realistic shot at pretty much anyone we want. We may not get to the CL next year but players will be eager to sign from now on.

19. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    That, and we showed we are willing to spend the cash. Players are taking notice, I hope.

20. idreamofpikas

idreamofpikas Member+

May 22, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Sadly so are the chairmen and agents. How on earth did Blackpool think they were going to get £14m for Adams.

21. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think it'll be different in the summer, when there isn't as much time pressure and there are more options available, and we weren't suckered into stupid deals.

22. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    maybe you could just promise not to use that kind of language around the children...:)

23. StiltonFC

Mar 18, 2007
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cole = 2.5m
    Poulsen = 1.8m
    Konchesky = 1.2m
    total = 5.5m

24. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yea we're definitely not getting a lot for those.

25. Chimaera

Chimaera Member

Mar 26, 2009
    La Plata, Maryland
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can sell clowns like Degen, Jovanovic, and a few other scraps for some money