Is It Just Me

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by Revs Fan Forever, Aug 8, 2002.

1. Revs Fan Forever

Revs Fan Forever New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    somewhere in MA
    In my opinion since Jim Rooney came over to the Revolution he has done nothing but bad things. Am I the only one that sees and believs this?

2. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    well.....that 25-30yd blast v chicago, i believe......couldn't really be seen as a "bad thing" right?

3. Revs Fan Forever

Revs Fan Forever New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    somewhere in MA
    I admit that his blast in Chicago was nice but what else has he done to help the Revs this season.

4. mlsrevs

mlsrevs New Member

Dec 28, 1999
    MA
    That corner against the metros speaks for itself

5. Bruce S

Bruce S Member+

Sep 10, 1999
    yeah, not too impressive. Nothing quite as sad as seeing someone trying to be the playmaker without the skills to do so.

6. JG_Revs

JG_Revs Moderator

Sep 11, 1999
    Boston
    Jim Rooney has been a monumental disappoint. Another one-season wonder (and that one season was Fusion 2001... imagine that!) gone sour for the Revs. BTW... wasn't it more like a 20-yard blast in Columbus? I don't recall a blast in Chicago, refresh my memory.

I've taken a great personal dislike to his play, attitude, and tendencies. I boo him reguarly... never thought I'd boo a Rev, but he's no Rev in my opinion (guys like him and Hernandez are just collecting their paychecks).

Rooney couldn't win a 50-50 ball in the WUSA.

7. tiki

tiki New Member

my 3 cents, but, please stop with the playmaker already

I still believe the Revolution are still going to make it to the finals against San Jose. But please, rev fans, stop talking about a playmaker

Your organization got rid of a a tremendous playmaker 7 days before you let FC go.

I wish nothing but the best for the revs because they gave my little brother his first break. But please, he honestly could have been a solid fixture in your midfield for at least the next 7 years. maybe I am overstepping my bounds, and if I am, please tell me so.

I have no idea why I am up at 3AM, but I just had to let all you loyal revs fan know my three cents.

See you in the finals against the quakes!!!!!

8. tiki

tiki New Member

Sorry Bruce S

only my three cents about the playmeker comment.......please no hard feelings:)

9. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    Not me

While I would agree that our defense, of which Jim is a key part, has been a major disappointment and that he takes a knock for that, I don't agree with the statement 'he has done nothing but bad things'. I guess I have more faith in the coach that he has made Rooney the captain for a reason. I also have liked his comments in the media. I would agree that he hasn't lived up to the expectations that I had of him. But that doesn't mean he has ONLY been a bad.

Relative to the one hit wonders...I think it has more to do with other GMs/coaches being better about putting together the correct pieces on the field to form a more cohesive soccer team. Thus, the team plays to the strength of the players. We just seem incapable of that.

10. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Re: my 3 cents, but, please stop with the playmaker already

I also really regret that we didn't get a real look at what Shaun (sp?) could do. One of these days we'll get a good look at him playing against us (sigh).

As for Rooney, he played quite well in the beginning of the season, much better than I thought he would. The dropoff since then has been rather dramatic. Is he feeling like he needs to do to much, or is it the transition away from a real possession offense the problem? Maybe at this stage of the season, at his age, his legs are dead. It's hard to imagine why his passing accuracy has deserted him.

11. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Rooney is a player in the broad middle range of MLS talent. He is capable of solid play if too much is not expected of him. He did very well for Miami, because he had a great team around him. He was not significantly better then than he is now. If Pablo Mastroeni were paired with Carlos, and Rusty returned, Rooney would suddenly improve amazingly.

Kid Tsakiris was the best yet reason why a developmental team would be great. He would have been ready for the big time just when we needed him.

12. Blathist

Blathist New Member

Aug 21, 2001
    Foxboro
    I think that signing Rooney was a bad idea. I don't think that he is cutting it. I think we should get rid of him and sign someone else.

13. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    It's pretty late in the game to continue to juggle the roster.

He was pretty bad Saturday night. LA seemed to sense the weakness whenever he got the ball and stripped him from the front, back and sides. He was needed to participate in a short-passing buildup and he wasn't up to the task.

I was praying for Hernandez to replace him and fortunately he did. That at least gave the Revs a fighting chance. It's good to see that Nicol isn't blind to the struggles that Rooney is having.

14. Fiero20

Fiero20 Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Gillette Stadium
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with both of these, however, hernandez should replace him at the beginning of the game, not the end. Rooney was a one season wonder, which happens to lots of players who come here (chacon, diallo). He is too old for this sport, which requires quick thinking and acting. he is just too slow now.

15. Blathist

Blathist New Member

Aug 21, 2001
    Foxboro
    You're right. So we can keep him for the rest of the season, and then get rid of him when it's over.