Is it CHIVAS SAN DIEGO? Read if interested..........

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by efren95, Sep 12, 2003.

1. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Big Soccer fellows: Here, the latest from the Mexican press. Loose translation. As always, in a hurry.
    The article was published today on Record.

Guadalajara. - Ivar Sisniega, Guadalajara club executive president, explained the reasons why San Diego was chosen as the main option to become headquarters for Chivas USA in MLS.

The officer stated that San Diego offer some advantages not found in other U.S. cities, being its closeness to Mexico and its Latin-American roots some of the factors that played in choosing the California city.

“San Diego is attractive to us because, in the first place, does not have a MLS franchise, and we come with a new. That plays in our favor. Besides, after L.A. and New York, is the most important urban center (among Hispanics) not considering its closeness to the Mexican Border where Mexican people from those places, like Tijuana, can come to see the team.

“Furthermore, in South California there is a big population of Mexican and Latino people who undoubtedly would support the team,” stated Sisniega, who did not exclude Houston as a second option.

The officer stated there are still six points that must be met on behalf of Chivas and MLS, having a time frame of more than two month so Chivas USA can play next year. One factor would be the Tapatio team’s petition to have a greater number of foreign players as well as MLS participation with Chivas of Guadalajara.

“We sent a letter of intention to MLS and depending on their response we will be able to know if we are going to participate next year. In this letter there are issues that have to do with our image and place to play.

“And also, we ask that this team can have a greater number of foreign players, since we want more Mexican and Latin-American players because we want this to be a Hispanic team,” he said.

2. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I'd like to see a team in San Diego, I certainly don't think MLS HQ should be bending the rules to make a Chivas team fit into its structure. That would be *@#*@#*@#*@#*@#*@#*@#*@#e.

If they want a MLS team, fine. If they want some kind of twisted hybrid of a team outside of the league's rules, I'm sure they can find some other league to play in.

3. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    I don't like the sound of this. It's fine to have "more Mexican and Latin-American players" - just do it according to the rules everyone else follows..

4. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Flash and Len:

Don't pay too much attention to this little point. Vergara and Chivas are putting unnecessary hype on "foreing players".

At the end of the day, they will abide by MLS rules. They just feel they can contribute a great deal to "passionate rivalries" withing our league and in the process reap some good dollars.

5. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    That's the thing.
    Vergara's been hyping the latino side of the team in the spanish-language press while commenting to the english-language press about how they would follow MLS rules.
    So, what I think you're going to see is a team with a marked latino influence, but that does follow MLS rules (to the extent that anyone follows MLS rules, if you understand me...)

6. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What might that be referring to? Your standard mutually beneficial friendlies and such?

7. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    Why the need to bend rules to bring in more "foreign players". I would think that Chivas could find a fair number of Americans with Mexican and South American roots that could play for the team.

8. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    Re: Re: Is it CHIVAS SAN DIEGO? Read if interested..........

I don't like the sound of it either. We'll see how this goes...

9. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA

Exactly.

I do hope that it comes through as San Diego is a beautiful city.

Bring it!

10. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    as long as the players are american citizens i don't care, they could all be hispanics ,

if MLS bends its own rules, i will never attend another MLS game

11. Various Styles

Various Styles Member+

Mar 1, 2000
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Is it CHIVAS SAN DIEGO? Read if interested..........

My guess is that Vergara and Co are worried about the teams playing style. No matter who you bring in or how you call the team if Chivas USA matches mirror your typical MLS Catenaccio keep away bore fests, then no one will want to go see the team. I still cant understand why MLS matches are played so defrensively. All teams are on par, There is no relegation, and 80% of the teams make it to the play offs.. So yes i can understand Vergaras concerns. He needs a team that is strong enogh to play atacking football.. Mls needs to stop tearing down their strong teams..

12. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats not even bending. thats breaking.

and i agree.

13. TWR

TWR New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    New York
    Re: Is it CHIVAS SAN DIEGO? Read if interested..........

amen

14. dcufan1984

dcufan1984 Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i agree with that vs, but if that means changing the foreignor limits then i am completely against it... especially if its an exception JUST for chivas usa. thats simply unfair.

i think we all agree that the cap needs to be raised, but in all reality, the league will only be able to significantly increase it once single-enitity is dismantled... but 500k wouldn't hurt right now. :D

15. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Why can't the league, instead of "bending" rules and regulations, simply change some of them for everybody's benefit? There should be more freedom in the way all clubs operate. That's why I'm excited about the Chivas and, perhaps, America owners joining the party. The league will essentially have to loosen up its vice-grip overall in order to bring these guys into MLS. Otherwise, no new owners from anywhere will want to come forward.

16. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA

True.

ps-What's up with the Ray Hudson beer avatar? :D

17. dabes2

dabes2 Member

Jun 1, 2003
    Chicago
    Allowing 2 additional foreign players for every team would be cool. Especially if they really are going to expand the league to 16 teams by 2006/2007.

18. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What about the "white people" in San Diego? I don't like it how they are focusing on a specific group of people. He sounds like Hitler! (j/k about the last part)

19. LA Galaxy Fan

LA Galaxy Fan Member

Feb 28, 2000
    Tokyo
    Mexports report Ivar Sisniega send letter to MLS Commissioner to change three International players per team, want more.

I think it would be great idea for 4 IP per team.

20. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO

Screw that, MLS teams General Managers need to be more forward thinking when creating their rosters.

If you want to win a championship for one year then fine. If you want when a championship 3 years in a row, then you better be thinking ahead.

21. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

...says the Wizards fan. :)

22. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    There have been good, entertaining MLS teams within the framework of MLS rules. The 2001 Fusion were fantastic and their true creative force came from two white guys-- Preki and Bishop (recall that Chacon was a true marksman that year rather than dropping back as much as he's been asked to do since) and Serna, while certainly skillful, is and was more a strength player than a finesse player.

The Fire from 1999-2001 were almost as entertaining. Tim Hankinson has suceeding in creating a number of entertaining (although not necessarily successful) teams.

ANd when I say entertaining, I'm not just saying "by MLS standards". The league I grew up with was la primera in Spain; the league I have the most access to now is the EPL. I might be an MLS homer, but I judge MLS against those leagues and still find it entertaining.

And to be honest, I think the MFL was pretty dreary not too long ago-- I can't follow it at all from England, but the handful of games I've seen when in the States seem much better than, say, five years ago. But I read a fair amount in the Mexican press about how the fans aren't necessarily happy with the imports, making me wonder if it's really jogo bonito that people want.

23. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't understand your thinking. The cap wouldn't be raised without single-entity; it would be eliminated. You see, SE exists because otherwise it is illegal to set salaries between different companies. But with only one company, that problem is defined away.

I think what makes more sense is to say that the league will only be able to significantly increase the salary cap once the league starts making profits.

24. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Re: Re: Re: Is it CHIVAS SAN DIEGO? Read if interested..........

Absolutely right. You can have a higher cap and single entity without any problems whatsoever.

But: you can have a salary cap without single entity, as long as you have collective bargaining in place.

25. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Is it CHIVAS SAN DIEGO? Read if interested..........

Then how does the NBA have a salary cap?