Is Hope Solo on a downward trend?

Discussion in 'USA Women: News and Analysis' started by jackiesdad, Jul 7, 2015.

1. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Many here on BigSoccer have commented that she just hasn't been herself this tournament. A few balls which I thought she could have caught outright, she decided to punch clear. A few crosses I thought she would have come out to intercept, she's stayed on her line very uncharacteristically, and let the field players deal with them.

Frankly, I'm not sure. I think one issue may be this: She has NEVER played behind a back4/5 as solid as the one in front of her during this World Cup. I think in the past, she may have thought "Whatever happens, the ball is safer in my hands than anywhere else on the field, so I'm going out to get it!" This time around, I think she trusted Krieger, JJ, Becky, and Kling (not to mention Brian) so much, she really felt her safest position was back on her line. That had to be a new perspective for her, and she probably had a problem wrapping her head around that thought.

What do you guys think?

EbaJones repped this.
  2. themightymagyar

Aug 25, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've always considered her a bit of a stay on the line goalie, but maybe I'm remembering that incorrectly. Might see if I can find some video of the Olympics to compare sometime this week. Or maybe see if there's any NWSL games online somewhere. I haven't been able to watch any games from that league since it started.

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree with this part.

Going forward, what happens in Solo's off-field life will massively impact whether or not she continues to be on the USWNT. Do her previous arrests end up with any convictions? Can she keep herself out of trouble for a year? For 4 years? I'm not optimistic.

skybolt repped this.
  4. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Name a better back 5.

The 2011 WC team? I love Rampone, but she was kind of a munchkin and not effective in the air. Buehldozer? Ha.

The 2007 WC team? Whitehill was way over the hill by that time, with a visible muffin top. Rampone was in top form, but still poor in the air.

The 2008 Olympic team? Cox, Chalupny, Mitts? Meh. And I'll take Brian over Boxx any day.

I repeat: Solo has NEVER had a better back 5 in front of her.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian over Boxx any day? How soon we forget. And really, the back 5 to include a midfielder is not a thing, really. I was looking at the back 4.

6. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Ok forget Boxx vs Brian. (Although I was never a big Boxx fan, even in her prime.) You still never answered my question. Name a better back 4 behind which Solo played international soccer.

7. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    When she plays with Seattle she steps up a lot more than she does with the NT. Given more time with this backline she'll probably start playing higher with the NT too.

8. Lola92

Lola92 New Member

Jul 6, 2015
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    I think Solo was great besides the what would have been a goal if Sasic was to capitalize on the PK. The thing is Solo was honestly not tested during this tournament. The only thing that came close was the Australia game. At some point Hope Solo could have just taken a nap in the back and the team would have been fine. Having a great defense is a bonus of course. I was actually okay with her staying on the line in this tournament. You have to know which opponent you can step out and you would be fine. Some teams can take shots from anywhere and they could easily score. This is an issue I had with France's GK.

9. Calci0

Calci0 Member

Jun 22, 2013
    NC
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I think winning the Golden Gloves, having the shutout streak she had shows there aren't many better. And, giving up one goal to Japan in the Final at close range does not have me doubting her skill in the net.

10. Brizzle17

Brizzle17 Member

Jun 29, 2015
    I agree. She was not really even tested this whole tournament besides Australia and Japan. And honesty just going back to Algarve when she came back she was not really tested until they played France. And then after that in the send off games she was not tested at all. You could argue that she has been tested more in her 3 club games than all of 2015 almost LOL. In her first game with the Reign in club she was great. The last two games in club she was very sketchy when coming off her line. Its hard to really pin point if she has lost a step or is the same TBH for me.

11. Cliveworshipper

Cliveworshipper Member+

Dec 3, 2006
    #11 Cliveworshipper, Jul 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
    Besides Australia and Japan is a pretty big write off.

If she hadn't made two huge saves against Australia we lose that match, Rapinoe heroics or no.

12. thegreathoo

thegreathoo Member

Jun 12, 2015
    You look at Brad Guzan tonight for example, and how many attacks he neutralized by coming out at the ball. Guzan owns the 16. Solo owns the 6 box, if that. Outside of 6, if the D doesn't clear, she sure as heck will not, she will sit at the goal line and blame the D.

13. lil_one

lil_one Member+

Nov 26, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its an odd thing to say a gk owns the 16...I'm not giving any credit if s/he can't extend their dominance just 2 more yards.

:p

14. Plxix

Plxix BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 13, 2006
    Wtf. How in the fork are threads like this even get on here? As if the Carli Lloyd one wasn't enough.

What's next, the problem with the whole friggin national team?

15. steelers07

steelers07 Member

Apr 8, 2014
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Maybe it's all part of a big conspiracy on BS, create threads ragging on players only for them to prove you wrong :sneaky: Someone trying to get Solo to have an outstanding Olympics? :p

16. Plxix

Mar 13, 2006
    She won every time.

17. jackiesdad

jackiesdad Member

Apr 13, 2008
    1) Threads like this get on here because I started it, thinking Hope was just a little bit slower than usual.

2) You're right. Every single player played up to their ultimate potential, and every coaching decision has been absolutely correct. Every call or no-call by the refs has been spot-on, and the choice of turf instead of grass was perfect. We have absolutely NOTHING to comment about, so it's time to close up BigSoccer. Everybody can go home now, according to Plxix. Thanks for playing.

18. Plxix

Mar 13, 2006
    Dude at least let the World Cup Winners finish their victory parades.

19. BlueCrimson

BlueCrimson Member+

North Carolina Courage
    United States
    Nov 21, 2012
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really easy to look good when your opposition's game plan is long balls to Leroux. She barely had anything to do for 90 minutes.

20. Brizzle17

Brizzle17 Member

Jun 29, 2015
    Well that was her best game and she did have some good saves. Did you see her against Chicago in Chicago? She was out of her mind lol. She even literally left the goal wide open like 2 times during the game and was lucky to not been scored on. In the end she paid for it when Press owned her literally minutes before game ended to seal a win for Chicago.