Is Hillary Clinton Running in 2004?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Awe-Inspiring, Sep 22, 2003.

1. Awe-Inspiring

Awe-Inspiring New Member

Jan 18, 2000
    See Bill Safire's column in today's New York Times. I can't help but think he's on target.

2. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wanna bet?

3. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    With those cankles? She might be running to the refrigerator - that's it.

But seriously, folks. Regardless of how the Clinton's are d!cking with their fellow Democrats right now, I don't think that Hillary wants to jump into this. She'll finish her term as senator and go from there. I see a Hillary/Bill ticket.

4. mannyfreshstunna

mannyfreshstunna New Member

Feb 7, 2003
    Naperville, no less
    Wow that cankle bit was great. Anyways, it's gonna be (hopefully) McCain v. Billary in 2008.

5. CrewDust

CrewDust Member

May 6, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be good, really good, so it will never happen.

6. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    Not even if Don King gets involved? Think of the PPV money!

I was going to say, Hillary run in 2004? She needs to run everyday!

7. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    If not McCain, then Bill Frist vs. Hillary. Either one of them will whip her pasty, sagging @ss.

8. dearprudence

dearprudence Member

Nov 1, 2000
    Chi-town
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The street talk would be entirely different if she was running in 2004. Bill is enjoying this muck of Democratic candidates too much. Carol Mosley Braun is trying to set a better precident for women in higher office, thus paving a more tolerant attitude for Hillary in 2008.

Yeah, yeah, I know that women have run for president since what, 1880, Victoria Woodhull or something like that, along with Shirley Chisholm in 1972, Elizabeth Dole in 2000, and Geraldine Ferrarro for VP in 1984. But it's still somewhat of a novelty act to much of the voting population.

BTW, Shirley Chisholm has often said that she faced more opposition to her candidacy as a woman than as an African-American.

9. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I've always believed we'll have a black president before a female president.

10. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Colin Powell. He's not as far to the right as others in the Bush admin. He has a great bio. He's got excellent experience with the military and now with int'l diplomacy. He's a Republican (well, that's what he says anyway) but I think many Dems. would vote for him if the Dem. candidates are as crappy as the current crop.

11. edcrocker

edcrocker Member+

May 11, 1999
    It is completely unclear whether Hillary would beat McCain or Frist. The election is over five years away, and it is clear that the political preferences of many people often change fairly signficantly over the course of just months. Also, she is a US Senator of the third most populous state in the Union, and my sense is that if there were a poll taken by Zogby this week, 35% to 55% of respondents would indicate that they would vote for Hillary over either McCain or Frist.

Cascarino, I think what you want to get across is that you think Frist or McCain would be a better President than Hillary. That kind of claim is importantly different than a forecast about what is likely to happen.

12. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not unless there's a 3rd party movement. Do you honestly think an electorate (GOP primary voters) who shunned John McCain for being too liberal would ever nominate Colin???

13. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Hillary Clinton would get whipped if she ran.

If I had to bet who I thought would be our first female President, I'd place her well behind Condi Rice, and just between Jenna Bush and Lois Griffin.

14. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA

15. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    That whole ignoring the threat from al Qaeda thing might hurt Condi's chances.

16. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    No. I will place her well behind Ann Coulter.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CP, I'll say this...if Gore had won in 2K, then maybe the Reeps would be at the point that their base would think strategically and nominate the guy who they thought had the best chance of winning. The Democratic base really hates Bush's policies, and alot of them are at that point.

But by the time the Reeps get to that stage, it'd be at least 2012, and Powell will be pretty old by then, and it will have been 20 years since he made his name. I just don't see it.

I don't know all that much about him, but I'd keep my eye on that Ford guy from Tennessee. He's very young, and he's pretty conservative for a black Democrat. He's gonna get alot of chances to put himself into position.

18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Do you think? I think Powell has kind of kept his distance from some of the more controversial Bush policies. A lot of people in the admin. don't like him too much (a + to Democrats). He's in the admin. & he's not at the same time.

I don't know Ford too well or Powell's ambitions in 4 or 5 yrs. I just think that Powell definitely has the "presidential" make-up - way more than fellow general Clark. If he was a registered Dem. he'd be running this year for them.

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    CP, yeah, Powell would do well in the general election, I'm not arguing that point.

Tell me how in hell a pro-choice, pro-affirmative action candidate gets nominated by the Republican party? That just will NOT happen unless their base spends at LEAST 8 more years in the wilderness. No way in hell Powell beats a Frist in the Republican primaries. I mean, these are voters who spurned John McCain for being too liberal, and at the time (IMO he's moved left since then), McCain was several steps to the right of Powell.

20. Elder Statesman

Mar 29, 2002
    Central Park South,
    Why? Bill Clinton ignored Al Quaeda for four years and got re-elected.

21. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Somebody gets all their "news" from Sean Hannity.

22. Elder Statesman

Mar 29, 2002
    Central Park South,

23. SoFla Metro

SoFla Metro Member

Jul 21, 2000
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    Cute, but irrelevant.

24. John Galt

John Galt Member

Aug 30, 2001
    Atlanta
    I almost agreed with you. I also almost posted this:

The first black governor of a Southern state (whoever that may come to be) will have a tremendous amount of momentum.

But then I realized -- we're talking about race.

The first serious candidate will have to prove his or her bona fides by appointment and performance in high profile positions to mute the "unqualified" tag that will otherwise be applied. Powell is probably a more plausible candidate than Ford (unless Ford serves as Sec'y of ____ in a future Democratic administration).