Is Gerrard the best midfielder in the EPL ?

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by Johnlong, Nov 28, 2004.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    That's not entirely accurate. Ballack's not as fast, and not quite as good in possession, imho. He's better with his head, and has a slightly better offensive game.
    The problem at Bayern isn't that he's not asked to do enough, but rather that he was asked to do too much. They played him as a holding midfielder in a 4-3-3. He never had a chance to shine or really go forward in that setup. This year he's been better, because Frings is there to help out in midfield.
    I don't think he's better than Gerrard, however; I think the two are of similar caliber. I'd love to have either Gerrard or Ballack at Chelsea, but landing Ballack (who's also older) is less likely.

2. ibreak4coffee

ibreak4coffee Member

Jul 27, 2004
    New York
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Point taken on speed, but I dont think that's an issue here. Zidane was never lightening quick and yet he was the undisputed best player in the world for years. Beckham isnt exactly quick either, yet so many people seem to think he's the best player in the world. German players, even strikers, have never been that quick. Yet they easily hold their own against quicker players. On possession though I disagree. Ballack is extremely smart with the ball, and again wasnt able to create as much as he could because of the mediocrity he was surrounded with until moving to Bayern. It is definitely debatable though.

I think on the Bayern point we're saying almost the same thing in a different way. He never did have a chance to shine, and I think part of the reason was because he was played outside his best position because Bayern bought him after a string of amazing seasons with Bayer. He was asked to both create, stop, and score, and that's a lot for any player.

True he's older than Gerrard, and for your sake Stevie G is a better long-term fit than Michael. I was just using a hypothetical. I have no doubts, however, that Ballack would tear up the EPL if given the chance. Maybe Arsenal could use him in central midfield, where he's almost older than the two ones facing you guys this weekend :eek:

3. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i agree with a lot of your 2 posts , i definitely think theres a hint of anti-germanism on here, hell i hate them for knocking the USMNT out of 2002(guess who scored that one?!). Id rate ballack as the best all around ahead of both england boys like you do, and would love him to be one of our 3 CMs any day of the week. The only thing you said i disagree with was that lampard is not responsible for how chelsea is good. True its a team effort, but above anyother player, when he is not playing our side, spefically our midfield looks like utter crap. he is definitely the drive and the inspiration of this team.

4. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    on a side not, Lampard was named OPTA player of the month for october and second in november. Helped by his league leading assist total. and yes gerrard was hurt, but shouldnt durability be a factor in this comparison?

5. scoonie45

scoonie45 New Member

Jun 21, 2002
    Georgetown
    I'll be the first to admit I don't see either as much as I'd like, but I think of it this way: as an Arsenal fan, who would I rather have on my team? I go with Gerrard. Lampard's right there, but Gerrard's a leader.

6. scholes181818

scholes181818 Member

Dec 1, 2003
    Kansas City, MO, USA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scholes
    Keano
    whoever else - a distant third
    And shut up about Ballack, we're talking EPL

if i had to choose between Viera Gerard or Lampard id take Viera. He's worth two men in midfield.

7. Walter3000

Walter3000 Member+

Apr 8, 2004
    gainesville, Florida
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah you take scholes and keane, and ill have lampard and gerrard, My team would destroy yours.

8. yasik19

yasik19 Moderator
    Staff Member

Chelsea
    Ukraine
    Oct 21, 2004
    Daly City

can't really argue with that and if we are lucky, next year, you could literally prove your point

9. JN13

JN13 Member

Dec 23, 2004
    Since he was injured at OT and missed a few games for LFC, the title goes
    to Frank Lampard of Chelsea so far this season.

10. kjksccr

kjksccr Member

Feb 25, 1999
    San Carlos, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gerrard was incredible in that yawner of a game against Southhampton. However, I think he is entirely too predictable. Every time he gets the ball facing forward he tries a one touch through ball or stops and smacks it cross field. Great for the English league were the pace is so fast but not subtle enough for internationals. I think Lampard has a bit softer touch and relies less on athleticism. He makes more deft passes than Lampard.

Hey, wait a minute, that's a perfect combination of midfielders to play together like they do for England. Actually, honestly, I believe England needs another player like Gaza to win a big tournament. Lampard could get better as he is quite young but there doesn't appear to be any wizard on the horizon. At least Lampard hits the ocassional ball that is unexpected.

11. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    Lampard ffs, average midfielder with a fat ass, how many ********ing top European players put facking fat ass Lampard in their best 11? Id take half a Viera over Lampard any day beotch!

12. JD=SuperStar

JD=SuperStar New Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Australia
  13. Football Expert

Dec 31, 2004
    west indies
    When will people realise that gerrard is overated.
    they are many midfeilders, not only in the epl but all over the world
    in england-lauren, scholes, ronaldo
    in italy- veron, rui costa, seedorf, kaka, nedved
    in spain-xavi, ronaldihno,riquelme, valeron,aimar, even guti

so please people, stop inflating the youngster's head

14. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    :rolleyes:

Were you drunk when you chose your screen name? Given the substance of your subsequent work here, that's the only rational explanation.

Lauren is a fullback. Ronaldo is a one-trick showpony and a winger to boot. Veron of 1999 and exclusively for Lazio may rate ahead of Gerrard 2004 but that's most absolutely it. Riquelme? Don't make me laugh. He's not worth the steam off Gerrard's piss. Aimar ... meh. They'll be teammates soon, so let's defer judgement, shall we.

Guti. ROFL!

15. QuaresmaRonaldo

QuaresmaRonaldo New Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Pretty funny that Ronaldo is referred to as a one-trick showpony! :rolleyes: I mean he has awesome speed, awesome ball skills, and an awesome shot(which hasn't been going in for ManU at the moment). As far as Gerrard being the best midfielder, he's up there with Lampard and Vieira, in terms of the best mids in the EPL.

16. Mikey10

Mikey10 Member

Sep 20, 2003
    Netherlands
    Nat'l Team:
    Netherlands
    It's not funny, it's true.

17. Crestofthestars

Crestofthestars New Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Ah this topic is still around. In my opinion as far central midfielders go its:

1)Gerrard
    2)Scholes
    10)Fat Frank

I love how all those people writing Scholes off have had to eat their words recently. Have to admit though if anyone can hit a rocket into a top corner better than him it's probably Gerrard.

18. Russian Scouser

Russian Scouser Red Card

Nov 17, 2004
    that Lundun
  19. Matt Clark

Matt Clark Member

Dec 19, 1999
    Liverpool
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Homer Simpson: "Ahahaha ... it's funny! Because it's true ...."

Yeah ... and how much end product does he have? Oh yeah - fuck all. Congratulations, you own £12.6m worth of fuck all. "But ooooh, did you see that stepover he did? Gawd, that was like the play of the day or something, totally awesome ball skills!!" (PS - Shouldn't that be skillz? Or even, skillzzzzzz? Fits the wank factor profile, that's for sure).

I bet you've repeatedly made a quite terrible mess of yourself watching the skinny little lightweight twinkle about pointlessly in some inconsequential corner of the football field. It's no wonder whole sections of the Skip are crustier than a Dead Sea salt bog these days.

20. Acronym

Acronym BigSoccer Yellow Card

Nov 26, 2003
    Ol' blighty
    What a complete tit you are. Completely raped that ginger defender you have. Jealously is a mofo eh!

21. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    Really? Are we talking all around midfielder? What traits are folks loooking at when they're determining best? It's too bad some just hop on and toss in a name. Maybe they were thinking "hey, I can find a holding mid a lot easier than I can find another Scholes". Could be. But I suppose they'll be damned if they're bothered to explain it all.

I agree; if it's overall play Scholes isn't the best. He's damn good at some things though. And he just may be the best red-headed midfielder in the prem. Although Pembridge is giving him competition this year. **smirk**

22. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City

Classic CRon complaint. Instead of rippin' off the loud-moathed pundits, tell me how often CRon did this in the match against Spurs? That is, if you actually watch him play often enough to know his game.