Is Freddy Adu as good as they say??

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by tico_sapri, Sep 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tico_sapri

tico_sapri New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Toronto
    I mean like there is much better players at his age than him ..maybe because he is american n gets more attention :confused:

2. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    well a $1 million contract with Nike sure gets anyone's attention...

but it's too early to tell,he seems to be good at his age but he hasn't shown anything wonderful either...

3. Sakuragi

Sakuragi Member+

Mar 23, 2005
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Too young and the league he's playing in won't help much.

4. mtkstriker

mtkstriker New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Montauk,New York
    I took a hard long look at Anderson of Brazil today and I could say with confidence, that Freddy is better than him.

5. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    name them please ??

Im sure if he took the ManUnited offer and was playing with the reserves out there vs 17 and 18yr olds he would be doing great. Fact is he decided to take a bigger task and went straight to senior level. If you have watched any DC United games you would notice he has shown lots of glimpses of whats to come when hes matured. For now he is 16 and inconsistent. Did you expect him to be leading the league in goals or something??? Im not gonna be sold on Freddy till he reaches 18. Once he reaches that age my expectations for him will rise. For now hes a boy amongts men and is maturing every time he plays.

6. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well he was the second best player in the U-17 in 2003 as a 13 years old..only Cesc Fabergas got more praise.

He has played in 2 U-20 WC sides as a 14 and 16 year old.

The US youth sides are quite good too so its not like he was the star on Malta.

He is beyond the U-17 level now, he would undoubtably be THE star at this cup now.

He's very good, but being 15 or 16 and playing in any top flight league is going to be rough. He handles himself quite well. I would say he's as good as they say. Not Pele like, but an extremely talented player beyond his years.

7. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    watch Vela and Dos Santos, and you'll see a good young player, Adu is just getting alot of attention because they needed a young talent to get people's attention. Make them think it might actually be worth it to watch soccer games. before the USA would always loose and no one cared.

8. amanzo81

amanzo81 Member

Apr 30, 2003
    home
    Club:
    Club América

but how far beyon his age is he? If i remember, he wasnt much of a star at his last international tournament. The brazilians pushid him around and made him look out of his league.

9. Stupid_American

Stupid_American Member+

Jan 8, 2003
    New York, NY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    USA Opponents:

Last U-20 tourney in Holland: Italy, Germany, Argentina, and Egypt
    The previous one in UAE: Paraguay, Germany, Korean Rupublic, Ivory Coast, and Argentina

Brazilians might push Freddy around, but it was certainly not at either of the u-20 cups he has participated in.

10. special_k

special_k Red Card

Aug 5, 2004
    Brunswick/Cle, OH
    Ya Amanzo just looks like a stupid hater, He hasnt even played brazilians. GG dumbass.

11. PsychedelicCeltic

PsychedelicCeltic New Member

Dec 10, 2003
    San Francisco/London
    It's very rich reading a Mexican say this.

You guys are sooooo minor league.

12. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    really?..funny, Manchester and your beloved Arsenal have shown interest in Dos Santos...

13. MoRado

MoRado New Member

Feb 6, 2004
    San José. Costa Rica
    Club:
    Deportivo Saprissa
    Nat'l Team:
    Costa Rica
    And we gotta remember that this thread id to discuss about Adu, US-MEX fights are excellent in WR....

I like a Adu, i just hope he is really 16, it´ll be a shame if someday the world finds out that he has like 3 more years...

14. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they also showed love for adu. Your point??

15. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    read why replied that before even considering it some kind of attack to your lil b!tch...

16. robby241

robby241 New Member

Mar 15, 2005
    US
    how can you people expect any thing out of a damn 16 year old kid? playing with full grown men. go play football with a 10 year old and see how you do against them. then youll see what this kid has to go up against.

17. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Well he was 14 and 16 playing in the U-20 WC's.

When he was 14 he saw limmited minutes because he was a late addition by Rongen. Still had a breakaway assit to Convey against Argentina and was considered by the internation media then as a talented sub.

At 16 his hype meant EVERYONE was expecting him to dominate the tournment. He didn't, but he did show flashes of brilliance on occasion. Being 16 and the youngest player in the tournment against teams of guys 4 years older is not something to be ashamed of if thiose players outperform you.

Considering he is eligable for the next 2 U-20 WC's i would say he has plenty of chances to dominate that level of international compotision.

18. jmarquez1976

jmarquez1976 New Member

May 5, 2005
    No muerdas!
    I think Adu's career has sputtered in the last two years and is pretty much over. A few years ago he did look like a star for his age, but typically Ghanian (and I called it here in Big Soccer) he stopped progressing and now EVERY SINGLE Mexican Sub-17 player (including the benchwarmers, reserves & ball boys) is better than Adu.

19. CheveLoco

CheveLoco Member

Apr 19, 2005
    San Diego, CA
    exactly, why taking Adu to the MLS when he's not ready for it, i bet the kid would be a lot better if he was taking everything one step at a time instead of being part of a marketing scam...

20. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    Freddy Adu is an overrated git.

he is not even worthy of our attention, as much as the american fans want to believe otherwise.

21. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    File This: Adu will be the 23rd man on the world cup roster for the USA...he wont play, but will gain experience, like Ronaldo in 1994

please take note, im not comparing him to Ronaldo, its not even close, im just making he comparison that Ronaldo sat as a 17 year old in 1994

22. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    File this: Dos Santos will be teh 23rd man on the world cup roster for Mexico... he won't play(maybe a few minutes), but he will gain experience, like Ronaldo in 1994.

please take not, I'm not comparing him to Ronaldo, he is more like Ronaldinho, and that is the international press talking. :D oh yeah and i'm also making a comparison that Ronaldo sat as a 17 year old in 1994

23. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Robinho didn't make it to Europe until he was 21, and they are similar players. Give him time. He'd be starting on most MLS teams anyway.

24. tico_sapri

tico_sapri New Member

Jun 23, 2005
    Toronto
    people are expecting to much from this dude...hes gonna feel way too much pressure like just lay off the guy...he could have talent but if he has the confidence he can get as far as he wants and by the age of early twenties he can shine...but all this media makes it seem like hes on top of the world but in my opinion there is better players for example Dos Santos..

ps.We have to wait and see

25. Pottermaniac

Pottermaniac New Member

Nov 28, 2004
    RGV, texas
    Finaly some one with sense.