Is ESPN actually listening?

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Coach_McGuirk, Oct 23, 2003.

1. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Did anyone else get the ESPN FanZone survey abour pro soccer? It looks as if they've decided to actually do more international soccer programming.

If you're a FanZone member, be sure to let them know what you want!

2. jegerpenge

jegerpenge New Member

Jan 18, 2003
    Lake Charles, LA
    link please i lost it

3. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
  4. fifacup

fifacup New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    new jersey
    =(

I just don't watch espn anymore...i get my champions league football on korean webcasts now for free=)

5. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    the quality of those korean webcasts is amazing... i felt like i was cheating my work by watching manyoo scrape out that win vs 'gers... i recommend everyone to use those links~

6. fifacup

fifacup New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    new jersey
    =)

ahh ....i see i am not the only one who has tried out the korean webcasts.

I was skeptical at first. NOw if they will only show Arsenal then the world would be fine.

7. MadridForLife

MadridForLife New Member

Oct 13, 2002
    Worcester, MA
    Can someone post a link of these Korean webcasts?

8. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    Re: =)

So Arsenal is getting shafted in Korea as well? *L*

The ESPN questions seemed to indicate (to me, anyway) that they are considering some kind of PPV package for European matches, which I would be all over. How hard would it be for them to pull an English language feed from whatever broadcasting companies are already doing a game, and beaming it back for the US? I mean, a CL PPV package? I'd be all over that! It would be better if I could go a la carte and just get the Arsenal matches, but if I had to pay for the whole thing it might be worth it if I knew that I would get every Arsenal CL match, you know?

9. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    For Real Madrid CL broadcasts the link is "Turn on your TV to the ESPN2 CL coverage and find that *gasp* Real is on AGAIN!!!"

10. fifacup

fifacup New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    new jersey
    =)

Where the heck did that real madrid fan come from .....I agree with "coach"..go watch espn..since it has become real tv!

11. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    chechk the stickied thread atop the korea forum

12. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Re: Re: =)

Sky Sports in England cover every Champions League game live. You would have thought that some US broadcasters would be able to offer the same kind of coverage. Especially since Fox is part of the Murdoch empire too!

13. counterattack

counterattack New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Back to the thread. . .

If you think ESPN is fixing to get serious about real football, you are right.

Their own, extensive internal research shows that the core audience, M 18-34, is watching and paying attention to soccer, more than ever. That attention is drawn mostly to EPL, but is also being grabed by MLS. Take a look at the crowd at the recent Fire games and you see the shift taking place from Suburban families, to Young men 18-34. What really gets ESPN juices flowing is that the demographic is pan racial and pan ethnic. It is grabbing bunches of Hispanic, along with Ethnic White, but also is now bringing in Afro American. MLS has a huge advantage over EPL and the Euro leagues by being able to showcase American players, and those include Afro-American players like Beez, Cobi, and Big Zak. They would do well to make sure they get as much face time as Donovan and McBride.

Bottom line, the future of soccer on American TV is all upside. Advertisers love it because it offers the most bang for the buck. Up to now NASCAR enjoyed the same dynamic, but it is becoming too expensive, and advertisers are looking for an alternative.

Prediction: There will be an All-Soccer channel, soon.

14. Archers

Archers New Member

Apr 29, 2003
    Re: =(

And we would find a link to these webcasts where?

15. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    Re: Re: Is ESPN actually listening?

There already is: GolTV.

I was wondering if everyone got that Soccer-Specific FanZone survey or if it was just those of us who are somehow tagged as soccer fans?

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I never got a survey.......