Is Dc United America's Team?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Peretz48, Nov 7, 2004.

1. Peretz48

Peretz48 Member+

Nov 9, 2003
    Los Angeles
    I know this sounds over the top, but don't laugh. Everyone who has followed American football remembers how the Dallas Cowboys, back in the '70s, was annointed "America's Team." It had to do with how they branded their name and as a result, they created a mystique. Whether it was Tom Landry, the striking blue/silver uniforms, the Doomsday Defense, etc., many fans throughout the country bought into the mystique. Obviously, Redskins fans and others will pooh-pooh this, but this goes beyond just mere wins and losses. Other teams could characterize themselves as "blue-collar," "hard-working," etc., but for many years the Cowboys were able to cultivate a following based on being "America's Team." (Now please, Redskins fans, don't puke, this did happen to a certain extent).

The dynamics surrounding DC United are entirely different of course. Nevertheless, I've had a feeling from MLS's inception, that there was always a buzz about United. Getting off to the multi-championship beginning when Bruce Arena was coach (already a near legend based on his accomplishments at UVa) certainly helped to springboard this team into fans' consciousness. But there were other important elements to go along with the championships. The style of play has always emphasized attractive, skillful soccer, even if every player was not necessarily capable of pulling it off. And of course there are the marquee players who helped implement the United style: Diaz Arce, Moreno, and above all, Etcheverry.

But as the Revs-United game has demonstrated, from Day 1 there has been something qualitatively different about the United fans. Barra Brava and the Screaming Eagles have established an emotional bond with the team that is simply unmatched anywhere else. This is in no way is meant to disparage or diminish the wonderful support that other teams get from their fans, but I gotta say it just ain't the same. The passion, commitment, and loyalty is inspiring. Even during some of the down seasons the fans hung tough. And I always got the feeling that it was just a matter of time before United would be back. And win or lose, there is no doubt, UNITED IS BACK!!!

2. IncaEnclave

IncaEnclave Member

Aug 24, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    it's nice to know a west coaster started this thread. but i hate the term america's team maybe because i hate the dallas cowboys. soccer is more of a regional sport in terms of teams don't even own the city they play in such as the inter-city derbies we see accross the world. but hell if you want to support dc from afar you're always welcome to :)

3. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    There's life and there's a reason to live it-DC UNITED!

4. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    There might actually be something to this theory...

5. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    The strongest support for his theory (which I am uncertain about, but think has a kernel of truth) is the vehemence and animosity leveled against DC United by so many diehard fans of other teams in the late nineties and into 2001. It's greatly passed now, as four years of total suckitude and perserverance by the fans has to some degree changed sentiment. However, in 1999, 2000, and most of 2001 if you asked any die-hard fan of any team but DC what made them happy, they'd say it was DC's demise.

Cheers,
    Tim

6. Crewmudgeon

Crewmudgeon Member+

Sep 3, 1999
    Crewdom
    I thought the DC Expos were America's Team.

7. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I guess getting your ass kicked on a regular basis would illicit that kind of a response. :)

8. 79United

79United Member

Apr 10, 2000
    SW DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bite your tounge!!!

TS

9. beltwayrob

beltwayrob New Member

Jun 15, 2004
    Alexandria, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely wouldn't say we are America's Team. But we are the most recognized franchise, our fans are definitely some of the most loyal in North America, and I think last night proved that DCU is THE team in MLS. This team has a great following everywhere, and as evidenced in other boards, fans of other teams definitely can appreciate GREAT play, and rabid fans like we have here in DC.

10. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    As I've said before, I have seen random people in LA (and even once in Truckee) wearing DC United paraphanelia. I can't say that about any other MLS team outside California. That said, the most common jersey I see in LA is Chivas ... and not the USA variety.

DC United does have the potential to be "America's Team" - I don't like the term either. I don't think that's true of any other MLS team. Adu helps. Another MLS Cup would help more. And the emergence of such a team would be a great help to MLS.

11. TEConnor

TEConnor New Member

Feb 22, 1999
    I dislike the moniker. However, being in the capitol city never hurts define the team as somewhat representative of the country when we play abroad or have visitors from overseas.

I'd say that we should all just reign all the chest pumping in a little bit. We've learned a lot of humility over the past 5 years. We can be gracious winners. That would help a lot more to building a following than being somewhat arrogant about it (except towards Metro fans, of course).

Tim

12. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    Well, (and I say this as a Cowboys fan), we can earn that moniker merely by becoming obnoxious enough to claim it.

Of course, the Braves were given that name for baseball in the 1980s, when they totally blew chunks. All it meant in that case was that they were the one team anybody in America could follow, because all their games were on TBS.

13. garbaggio

garbaggio Member

Jan 3, 2001
    Arlington
    We're DC's team. And the team for the surrounding area going out well beyond the 'burbs to include some regulars who come in from PA, WVA, Delaware, etc...

And that's good enough for me!

14. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DC United is the MLS team most non-fans think of when they league is mentioned, I think. Being the flagship franchise of MLS is a whole lot more appealing to me than some NFL-derived moniker.

15. bbarrie

bbarrie New Member

Feb 1, 2000
    Charleston, SC
    The difference in this sort of labeling in MLS as opposed to the NFL is the international aspect of our sport, but even at that, if you asked a random citizen of the world (who is at least passingly familiar with American Football) to name an NFL team, there's probably a better than 50-50 chance that the first name they would mention would in fact be the Dallas Cowboys.

In baseball, it's the New York Yankees, in hockey, it's ... it's ... well hockey's a stupid game.

But in Soccer, I firmly believe were you to ask a footy fan from elsewhere in the world (outside of N.America) to name a US soccer club, I feel fairly certain the most frequent answer would be DC United.

Ergo, we are America's Team.

16. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    DC UNITED IS DC'S TEAM.

Thank you

17. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    Ummm, "America's Team"? Wouldn't it be the, uhhh, National Team??? :p

Or I suppose DCU could be seen as the successor to "Team America". (For those old enough to remember) :D

18. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh the horror, please don't say that again.

19. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
  20. Liverpool_SC

Liverpool_SC Member

Jun 28, 2002
    Upstate, SC
    DC United is the classiest team in MLS.

I am not arguing we are the team that appeals to preppy people or Eurosnobs or whatever - just that our name, our badge, our success, our brand - are the most appealing and have the most credibility in MLS and beyond. You can wear a DC jersey with pride no matter where you go and you a) needn't be ashamed of the design, b) are sure to be recognized and c) will look sharp. I don't know if that can be said of another team in MLS - maybe LA or Chicago - but not to the same extent in either case.

DC fans are also simply the most knowledgable and passionate in the league. We may lose some of that status to Chivas USA come next season, but it needn't be so.

The DC supporters clubs continue to impress because they are so inclusive, capable and greatly improve over time. You look across the league and some teams have very little in the way of visible supporters clubs (Colorado). Others have supporters clubs that are despised by team management (Metrostars). Others have supporters clubs that have done well at times, but have also turned a lot of people off (Chicago). You will never find a greater cross-section of society in one place than you will find in La Norte, Screaming Eagles and Barra Brava. Even the DC fans that are not part of the supporters clubs appreciate them.

There are other teams with big supporters groups (LA) and Section 8 has rivaled DC in terms of organization over short periods of time, but DC United (including the front office) has cultivated a legacy of support that has sustained the team through the bleak years from 2000 - 2002.

I don't really know about "Americas Team" or anything like that. But DC is the only team that has the mystique and commitment (and hatred from its opponents) that Cosmos or a "big" club in another nation is able to generate.

21. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    IMO this thread should be stickied on every MLS team board

22. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    See, there ya go, just the kind of obnoxiousness we need.

That, and addressing everyone else with "geese people!" ;)

23. greenbill

greenbill New Member

Apr 30, 2003
    York, PA
    Well, this DC United fan will tell you that DC United territory extends far into Pennsylvania. Thank you!

:D

24. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    It has from just about the start. I remember being able to watch some DC United games on cable while living in Philadelphia. I guess that was 1997.

25. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hell, no. You ain't nobody this millenium. You're about as close to being America's Team as are the Dallas Cowboys or Chicago Bulls.

Do something meaningful over the next few years, we'll talk about it.