Is Clint Mathis at long last done?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by Celticbhoy14, Dec 20, 2005.

1. JRstriker12

JRstriker12 New Member

Jan 27, 2002
    Falls Church, VA
    Re: King Mathis

Yeah, there are players on the team that scored and passed less and are on the team... they are called defenders and goal keepers.

Even young Freddy scored more and has more assists than Clint in 2005.

Who are the other A-Mids and Forwards who scored less and has less assists than Mathis and are on the team?

2. Theo

Theo New Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    Re: Bruce Almighty !

Right, like France really should've included Ginola and Cantona in 1998...

3. WingsFan

WingsFan Member

Jan 22, 2001
    Suburban Wichita
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I was curious to see this information, so I compiled a list of all the midfielders/forwards that either played for the US last year or are currently in January camp. The file is attached below:

The table includes columns for Minutes, Goals, Assists, Goals per minute, Assists per minute, G/Min rank, and A/Min rank. Page one shows MLS stats for 2005. Page two shows national team stats for 2005. Each page has been sorted by goals per minute in ascending order.

A couple of things jump out to me. You are correct on Clint's performance in MLS in 2005. He is in the lower half of the list and a lot of the names below him are wing or defensive midfielders. I concede that point to you, but believe some other factors (talent around him being the main one) played a role in why he had a bad year in MLS last year. Of course, when you look at national team performance, he suddenly jumps to the top of the list. I realize that he played his minutes against lighter opponents, but just going by the numbers, he performed well for the national team when summoned.

I've got a question for you, who (in the national team pool) would you rather have doing the following:

1. Taking a free kick from 20-30 yards out from goal.
    2. Coming off the bench as a late sub when we need a goal.
    3. Sending a creative pass through to Johnson, Donovan, Wolff, etc.

4. FCBblaze

FCBblaze New Member

Oct 24, 2005
    I've commented on the stats before, and I'll say it again now that we can all look at it nice and orderly. In 119 minutes (two back to back games Columbia and Honduras) Mathis tallied a goal and an assit. Dempsey, who I would actually like to see on the National Team, has 2 goals 1 assist in nearly 800 minutes. Twellman and Ching have done very well in MLS, but for whatever reason (I'll leave this reason up to others) can't get it done internationallly. Bruce has tried Martino as another option at CAM, but Martion can't cut it....it simply be the truth Mathis is better than Kyle. I know Reyna and Donovan will do well as CAM but they also play other positions (forward for LD and Right Wing for Reyna) it may not be a bad idea to bring in another CAM who can also play forward. I won't lie, Clint's underperformance in MLS concerns me, but his last play w/ the USMNT, back in Spring 05 was good, again, I'm not saying Bruce should put him on the team, I'm simply saying Bruce should invite him to camp. I do however agree with many of you who believe that he's probably not form fit right now and that he has serious attitude problems...but I do enjoy his attitude; he's like the Rodman or Artest of US Soccer, he might just punch someone...like Romo.

5. WALDO

WALDO Member

Feb 20, 2005
    BURBANK

Were on different pages. I'm talking about the USMNT and I think your talking about the M.athis L.eisure S.port. :confused:

6. morrissey

morrissey Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 18, 2000
    West Los Angeles, Calif
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Today's match against Norway would've been perferct for a out of season Mathis. He could've scored 5 goals with a twinkie in one hand a beer in the other.

;)

james

7. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Mathis is a southern good ole boy - replace that twinkie with a Moon Pie.

8. Marko72

Marko72 Member+

Aug 30, 2005
    New York
    One of the greatest talents ever to pull on a USA jersey, and yeah, I think he's done too. Besides, where in the first 11 would you have him play, given who we've now got?

9. WALDO

WALDO Member

Feb 20, 2005
    BURBANK
    You wouldn't put him in the first 11. He would be a substitute. He would come in when we need some goals (probably when where losing, and it's past the 65th minute). Or he would come in when the crowd either is getting bored, starts taunting or laughing at us, or just thinks their team has the game wrapped up with little time left in the game. It's not a huge stretch to imagine Mathis coming in the game late, and then scoring to silence the crowd. And then maybe flipping them off, or putting his hand to his ear. Or how 'bout were playing Germany in the finals, and Mathis has been on the bench all tournament. Suddenly Donovan gets a leg cramp and can't go in the 89th minute. Bruce looks down the bench and motions for Mathis to come in the game. The game is dead-locked 1-1. In extended time U.S. gets a free kick 10 yards outside the box. Mathis wants it and tells Reyna to step aside. He buries it in the back of the net and runs to the German crowd and raises one of his arms with his wrist pointing out, and with the other hand (you guessed it!) pointing at his invisible watch. Amazing enough someone from the crowd throws him a Rolex watch. Who could this person be?

10. WALDO

WALDO Member

Feb 20, 2005
    BURBANK
    Perfect game for Mathis to make his comeback debut, is in March against Germany. I think he would be extremely motivated for that game, and p.s., unlike Donovan he has had some success playing in Germany.

11. Zeppelin

Zeppelin New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    I think it's not fair to other guys who have been in the camp for long period of time. This is a very critical time for everyone who are in the camp to grab one of the spots, can't allow someone just come in and get one.