Is Celtic stressing youth this season?

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Catfish, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Catfish

Catfish Member

Oct 1, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    It is very hard to follow a club and NEVER see any matches. So I must ask with the current financial situation that Celtic is in, are they developing/stressing their home grown talent this season???

Thanks.

2. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    I'm probably not the best person to ask but as far as I know, Cletic are in about 12-15 million pounds of debt (not much considering their turnover) and the homegrown talent dosen't look great.

3. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    They have some decent young talent and, due to injuries, a few are getting a run in the side. Unfortunately though, when all of their players are fit again, none will get another chance and they will be cast onto the Old Firm scrap heap. What a waste of young talent (although I would pay to see Aiden "Judus" McGeady ruin his career). No wonder our national team is poor.

4. CelticOnFire

CelticOnFire New Member

Aug 8, 2003
    London right now
    No, they just have bad defense

5. Teso Dos Bichos

Teso Dos Bichos Red Card

Sep 2, 2004
    Purged by RvN
    It's because you have injuries elsewhere though. Your defense has been put under a lot more pressure than usual. Balde was your only main defender against Motherwell and the rest of the side was very attacking. Even Valgaeren (what a joker!) get a game. The rest of the time you are relying on playing McNamara and Agathe out of position. There is a definite lack of defensive depth.

6. Gordon EF

Gordon EF Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Amen brother. Have some rep!

7. -cman-

-cman- New Member

Apr 2, 2001
    Clinton, Iowa
    'Cause the brother needs it bad.

Seriously, it's been hard to keep track with no TV anymore and I've been distracted by the twin responsibilities of work and elections.

8. SteveW

SteveW New Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Answer to question: No!

Although there do appear to be some good youngsters at Celtic Park the truth of the matter is that they won't get many opportunities to play because:

1) The fans demand big names

2) The OF simply can't afford to take chances in the league and drop points

3) The older more experienced players are generally better than the youngsters.

Having said that Marshall is now a regular goalkeeper for them ahead of DOuglas and Hedman, Kennedy was a fairly regular player prior to his injury, McGready has been given a few chances and I've heard Ross Wallace's name mentioned a few times. Shaun Maloney is still injured too I think.

If there was no Rangers then Celtic could probably field a team of good Scottish youngsters that would win the league but the cut-throat competition between the OF means that they can't.