Is Caraglio Another Bust?

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by RevsRule, Aug 14, 2011.

1. NE till i die

NE till i die Member+

Jun 26, 2010
    Stoughton, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we should at least change the title of this thread to "Caraglio's first impressions" or something like that. We can't let pessimism take over every thread here, can we?

2. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On this particular thread..I agree!!

3. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Caraglio's first impressions

Well the thread is a question, not a statement and everyone who has posted agrees he's not a bust or that it's too early to tell. I changed the topic of my post but coming from a pessimist, there's really nothing to worry about.

4. SeñorFutbol

SeñorFutbol Member

Feb 15, 2006
    so far his style of play reminds me of Jaime Moreno. I pray he's even half as good during his MLS career.

5. thebigfluff

thebigfluff Member

Jul 1, 2011
    Ipswich MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As of the last game vs RedBull, Milton wasn't moping around, looked like a good team leader/target forward to me. Benny also looked MUCH better that match on an unrelated note.

6. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Without the diving you mean... ;)

7. RevSoccerMV

RevSoccerMV Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just saw this article: http://www.boston.com/sports/soccer/articles/2011/08/23/keane_galaxy_take_it_to_next_level/

"The Revolution had allocated more than $1 million for a designated player, and much of that has been spent on Argentine striker Milton Caraglio’s loan fee to Rosario Central and salary."
    Burns' quote: “As we've said all along, we've been looking to add a player or two that we feel is going to help our attack for the remainder of the season,” Revolution vice president of player personnel Michael Burns told MLSsoccer.com on Friday.
    http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2011/08/22/revs-get-their-man-morocccan-winger-zerka

This part, combined with the recent burns quote, scares me. Just when I thought we had finally gotten a forward to build around, hes just on loan. Heres to hoping its a loan-to-buy or that FDA simply mis spoke/typed.

BTW, Milton has already put more defensive pressure on other teams than Lekic has all year. I really like the kid in MLS' physical league, I really hope el tanque is here for many years to come

8. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well to be fair to Lekic, he was left alone for almost every game. Milton had a strike partner. I thought Lekic applied good pressure last game. I can see where those two could be a good partnership. I would like to see them add a speedy type forward like an Oduro(only one that can shoot on frame). That would give the Revs some pretty good options up top

9. Jon Martin

Jon Martin Member+

Apr 25, 2000
    SE Mass
    Most of the time Lekic got the ball in the last game, he lost possession.

10. BrianLBI

BrianLBI BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 7, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Revs have received a fair amount of criticism for not obtaining more players via loan, so it seems a little unfair to criticize them for making a loan deal (first I've heard of that, BTW). If they're "savvy businessmen" (ducks), they should have arranged for a club option for a permanent transfer. What they can do between now and the end of the season is try to find the beginnings of a competitive team that will make Milton want to hang around.

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was under the impression that Milton and his agents had bought his contract back from Rosario Central.

12. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As was I? I'm a bit confused by this article. I could have sworn also that we had signed him to a 3-year deal.

13. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    WHAT? We spent 1million on a 3 month loan..??? In this SEASON???

14. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    --Rosario was relegated in June 2010. They didn't have the money to pay Milton's contract after that, which ran through June 2011.

--The club let Milton go on trial in Europe, where it was discovered that he needed more knee surgeries, which he got in Fall 2010 and early 2011.

--Milton agree not to be paid by Rosario for the rest of his contract (aka "bought it back") and his agents agreed to give 20% of any eventual sale back to the Rosario academy that developed him. In return, he could train with them, rehab with them, and puruse any and all opportunities abroad.

--The agents own his player pass--there is no more contract or connection to Rosario, other than the 20% fee they will pick up/have picked up. As with Tevez a few years back, this "loan" is taking place from the agents, not from any club.

The loan protects the Revs and is a good bit of business for a guy coming off of multiple recent knee surgeries--the multi-year contract is probably the Revs' option.

The agents and Rosario (20%) get their money up front in the form of the "loan", and of course there is no transfer fee because he wasn't under contract with any club after June 2011.

IF the Revs hold the option years, as is typical in these MLS loan-to-buy agreements, then it's all good.

Depending on what Milton makes for half a season (let's say $300K), the Revs essentially bought the right to sign him up long-term for about $700K or so, 20% of which went to Rosario, and the rest to the agent(s) who invested in him early in his career.

For once...ONCE...on these boards, I will in theory defend the Revs here, if indeed the above deal is the case.

15. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

16. burud111

burud111 Member

Jul 20, 2007
    Connecticut
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MLS rarely agrees to loans unless there is an option to extend or an option to buy.

17. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA
    Yes...I am now of the pod body.

I dozed off in my seat after the crestfallen stadium had emptied last Saturday...and when I awoke...there was no anger, no disappointment, no feeling of betrayal...I found my old hollow shell sitting next to me, and with it, came the realization that Michael Burns is indeed guiding this team toward inevitable victory.

Championships take time, my friend, and those of us who believe have all the time in the world...it will be an honor to not only renew my season tickets, but to double my order and spread the word...

18. RevSoccerMV

RevSoccerMV Member

Mar 15, 2010
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

AHH, ok. I had thought that we had "bought" him, its just the wording of those articles threw me off I guess.
    I really like the signing and think his size makes him great for how the MLS game is called by refs.

19. RevsLiverpool

RevsLiverpool Member+

Nov 12, 2005
    Boston
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed, MLS is made to order for the big, lumbering forward who can take his beating. Caraglio has shown (small sample) that he can and has quickness, awareness and passion to boot. Good signing so far.

20. Abebe

Abebe Member

Aug 26, 1999
    Boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He uses his body well, but I am betting he is in 50% fitness form. He us just smart with timing and anticipation, so more good to come.

21. RevsFanDan

RevsFanDan Member

May 24, 2005
    North Shore
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So if those two goals were scored at 50%...When he gets to 75%, be rest assured the EPL will come a knocking again and we will definitely lose him..!

The days of keeping Taylor Twellman, et al, at bay from "across the pond" teams has gone the way of MLS 1.0..IMO, with his size and acumen he'll be a better signing than Montero..What??? did I just say that?? oh well..I said it! =)

22. abecedarian

abecedarian Member+

Mar 25, 2009
    SSSomerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread has done a complete 180. Wish I could say the same for the Revs. But I'm still seeing nothing from Lekic. The hope that he could benefit from Caraglio's hold-up play seems a bit overoptimistic, to say the least. The possibility that excites me is Caraglio plus Fagundez: one tall, strapping, physically imposing, skillful guy, plus one small, zippy, skillful guy. In addition, they're both really young, so they could be a tandem for years for us.

Imagine that: the striker problem solved for the foreseeable future.

23. rkane1226

rkane1226 Member+

Apr 9, 2000
    Club:
    Stade Brestois 29
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that, like some here, SN blames Diego for the goal in his last game and we will see none or very little of Diego moving forward.

24. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Too bad SN doesn't hold Ryan Cochrane to the same standard cause that guy bleeds goals

25. A Casual Fan

A Casual Fan Member+

Mar 22, 2000
    Regardless of having a better strike partner, or not, he just doesn't MOVE.

He is a presence when it comes to

- standing,

- waiting,

then at times

- giving the "thumbs up".

If he has more he isn't showing it.

(I'll give him that pretty outside-of-foot strike a few games ago, but other than that....)

`