Is Bobby Convey trade bait?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by TCompton, Nov 10, 2003.

1. TCompton

TCompton Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Alexandria
    I know that this is a sore subject for people. There are several people who believe that Convey can become that big play-maker in the middle of the field that this team seemed to be lacking over long stretches of the last few seasons. And I'll admit, when the kid gets the ball, my attention perks up a bit to see what he's going to do.

But lets take a step back and look more closely at his situation.

(I'm going to make an assumption here to make more point clearer)

Let's say that over the off-season, Bobby clears his mind of whatever has been ailing him and is able to refocus on the job at hand. His National Team appearances be it U20, U23, or MNT clarify his capabilities and leaves little doubt in the minds of his detractors into whether or not he's a "Star" player.

There's my assumption... if this isn't clear than what I say next really doesn't matter.

The idea that we can hand of the reigns to Bobby next season would be very, very tempting. After-all, under my assumption, he would have shown himself capable under the National Team spotlight. By doing this, we're saying that the player who is going to be the driving force behind our team will only be able to play with us between his Olympic and World Cup Qualifying duties. And, to go further, if he's proven himself capable to his critics, then he will no doubt draw the attention of European Club managers, increasing his opportunities to fullfill the dream he was so close to realizing this summer. If he was willing to leave us in July (which I do not fault him for), then why should we believe that after his year wait, he would not attempt to go over seas again?

And this is my concern. I think what this team was missing this season was a core group of players who, for the most part, are together through the thick and thin of the season. If we're expecting Bobby to be as influential in our play as his role would require, then we are commiting our team to another Summer of frustration.

Either way, Convey is using DC United and his National Team appearances as a spring board to Europe. His eyes are set on it. The best game I saw from him this season was against Tottenham. The kid is just jumping at the bit to get his opportunity to leave. DC is not a goal of his... at least it doesn't appear that way in my opinion.

He's a valuable resource with a limited life-span. Using him as trade bait could be the best use of him for United. Plus, if Adu does sign with MLS, then he will in all likelyhood end up with United. Everyone knows that for this team to get Freddy, we'll have to give up something big. Possibly Convey could be the price we pay for Adu...

My 2 cents... I'm much more focused on United as a team than I am on individual players. It's always hard to lose someone you really like, but it might be the best for us in the long-run.

-ted

2. QuietSide

QuietSide Member

Oct 18, 2002
    Few think as highly of Convey as I do, but I too am somewhat concerned about his clear European ambitions. You simply cannot build a team around someone who may very well leave in the middle of the season.

With that in mind, I think it would be very fair of the GM / Coach to ask Convey to make a commitment to stay for the entire MLS season. Under single entity, this agreement will also need to be OK'd by MLS.

If Convey does not want to make such a commitment, he may or may not be trade bait but you cannot build the team around him.

Others will obviously feel that you can't build the team around him regardless but I think he's got the tools and once he is no longer in Etch's shadow I think he will flourish...

3. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wish.

I've said it before, you can have any two players we have for Convey. ANY two.

4. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No

Not until the coaching situation is clear.

5. ignatz

ignatz New Member

Jun 3, 2001
    Washington, DC
    I don't think it is for Convey to commit or not to commit as much as it is up to MLS to transfer or not to transfer. Last summer, MLS saw the money offered by Tottenham and said OK. Bobby clearly was for it, and perhaps it couldn't have happened without his OK. I'm not sure about that, but I am sure that it can't happen if MLS doesn't want it to happen -- and that is just a question of how much money the foreign team is willing to offer.

6. GUTuna

GUTuna Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Washington, DC USA
    I was as disspointed in Convey's play for DCU as anyone. I thought he needed to step up, especially in the closing weeks of the season after Olsen went down. He didn't step up.

Of course he was still playing on the wing. He's really never been put in the middle for any stretch of games (has he ever for two games back to back?). I think we're going to sink or swim with Convey in the middle next season. At this point I think it's an impossibility that Etch will be back with us next season. It's going to be up to Bobby to really run this team, as we've been saying for years. It'd also be nice if we could get a true D-mid to play behind him.

Is he trade bait? I hope not.

7. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    Is Convey trade bait? Definitely. In fact, my idea is to trade him for Brad Davis straight up. I like Convey as a player and think he is talented, but don't know if that is enough for him to stay with this team. This offseason will be interesting (possible expansion, new coach, new players, etc.), so I can't definitively say he'll stay or leave. I just think he is a player that has enough talent that we can trade for someone at an equal or better level.

8. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brad Davis and what else????

Repeat after me. Santino Quaranta is United's trade bait. What they can get for him who knows. Bottom line he needs a change of address and United needs to make a few moves.

9. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    If we trade Convey, I have to think we'd get an allocation in the deal. We are probably going to get Adu, so we need the allocation. If Convey is trade to a team without an allocation, I assume a third team will enter into the trade so that we get the allocation.

10. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    What do you mean who? Brad Davis is at least at Bobby's level. Maybe we can get a trade of Q1 and Convey for Brad Davis and (Eddie Johnson, Ronnie O'Brien,). It could work.

11. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The front office won't make that deal, regardless of how sensible you think it may be.

12. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    How about Convey and cash for Davis and Curtis? Doesn't seem like too bad a deal.

13. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Honestly that sounds awful for both teams, jason. First it s possible that Convey might go to Europe this winter making all of this moot. Second with his European ambitions, why would Dallas or anyone trade for him? it would make no sense for them to trade anyone who might become a core player for them like Davis. third, if Convey does commit to MLS his future is brighter than Davis'. DCU would ask for more than Davis from Dallas. Thus it won't happen.

And, no, we don't need Curtis. He had his chance.

I say we will keep one of Convey or Quaranta, possibly both. If Convey goes, Tino stays. Tino might stay anyway if Convey stays and becomes a central mid as we are really light in the winger department.

14. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since we're talking trades, maybe we can trade Ivanov for some stale donuts and a signed picture of Cleatus.

15. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Yep--Convey's second half of the season was extremely mediocre. But that's a lousy way to evaluate him. Based upon the second half of the season, there aren't many players on the roster worth keeping. Put good players in a bad/inappropriate system (ie: they're asked to play the wrong roles) or NO SYSTEM...and they stink up the joint. Just look at San Jose. Cullen, Ching, DeRosario...all were available to anyone who wanted them. Everyone was of the opinion that Agoos couldn't play inside (including Arena)...except Yallop. Mulrooney, Barrett and Cannon were okay pre-Yallop. Lagos was viewed as not much more than A-league talent. But good coaching, a system that fits their talents and suddenly, Mulrooney is one of the best D-mids in MLS, Barrett is the best left-back, Agoos is MVP caliber player, Cannon leads the league as a GK, DeRosario becomes a force, Ching plays among the most consistent target roles and Mullen is a consistent contributor.

No way I trade Convey. He's cheap for his talent (Lagos probably makes more than him--and I'd take Convey over Lagos any day), he is quick (and this team is slow), he can create with the ball at his feet (on a team that was ponderous on attack). As for assuming he's leaving, I thought we were all sure Olsen was gone 3 years ago--oh, wait, he just signed a contract extension with DCU and admitted Europe isn't in his plans for the next couple of years.

The coaching situation affects EVERYTHING. And can potentially take a player like Stewart and put him in league MVP caliber (if you think I"m joking, remember Agoos of 2000 and Agoos of 2001).

Let's admit we're disgusted with how many players played this season, how little of a team this team was (the sum of the whole was less than the sum of the parts) but also step back and take a breath or two before we fire everyone.

16. eltico

eltico Member

Jul 16, 2000
    No more retreads, please.

Unless, by an act of God, we can get Eddie Pope back and only have to pay him $100k.

17. tmas

tmas Member

Dec 30, 2002
    I don't think Bobby would want to go to a different league (Germany, Spain etc.). He only has to wait until the summer to try England again. He obviously doesn't want to really go anywhere else and going anywhere else would just slow the process up.

18. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    first off, it's imposttible to be "extremely mediocre." Mediocre means in the middle, which by definition can't be to either extreme.

secondly, he was extremely bad. If he (or half the other players on this team for tha matter) had played mediocre toward the end of the season, we may have actually won a game in there somewhere.

Mediocrity would be a gift at this point.

19. mcontento

mcontento Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Catalina Wine Mixer
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree, I think Sonny's got one more season to prove himself and stay healthy before I'd trade him. He went through a lot, but if he can refocus he has more upside, and now with a kid, more reason to settle down in DC and be here for the long haul.

I think a change in coaches would do him better than a change in venues.

As for Bobbito, I'm not sure we can get enough trade value for him in this league, unless it was Ruiz (if he signed for long term deal), or Buddle, since we're guaranteed an allocation for him. Personally I don't think he is worth and allocation, but if the league wants to give it to us, then i'll take it.

Dawgpound, you give us Victorine and Ruiz (plus a long term deal) and with our defense I'll laugh at you as we go all the way to MLS Cup 2004.

20. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA

Where do I sign up? I would hate to lose Carlos, but Victorine is the most overrated player in MLS history.

Convey given the keys to the mid and let loose for 18-20 games straight, and I'll take my chances with a new striker.