Is Becks Gone?

Discussion in 'Philadelphia OT' started by JamesTaylor, Jan 27, 2009.

1. JamesTaylor

JamesTaylor BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously not a done deal yet, but aside from Corey being crushed, what influence will it have on MLS if he stays in Italy?

My feeling is that it will take the pressure off a bit. The sports public felt he was going to be the "saviour of the league." He has proven to be a great draw when LA went on the road and at the HDC, but beyond that and the generated PR, not much.

If he goes, the naysayers will be out in full force saying the league is D-U-N, while the league continues to grow with a steady solid business model of SSS venues and a conservative business model.

What say you?

2. Zolo-Hornet

Zolo-Hornet Member

Apr 7, 2008
    West Chester
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't know if Beckham is gone for sure but I think, crucially, he wants to be gone. I don't think he wants to come back to LA - his head has been turned and I think he believes he made a mistake in coming to the US. It will cost him a lot of money but MLS/LA would be willing to tear up the contract for the right price.

For MLS its not a disaster but its not great either. The will have lost their most prized marketing chip and the naysayers will pile on of course. Having said that, did Beckham bring so much to the table on the pitch anyway? His presense has to be a distraction on the Galaxy and they will probably be better off without him in the long run. He certainly did not, on his own, elevate them to a much better standard. I think the MLS is an entertaining and balanced league and will do fine without him. For my money a player like Darren Huckerby is a much better English import for this league than the Beckham circus would ever be. And I like David Beckham – he was just too big a star for this league at this nascient stage of the league's development.

So, to summarize, I would say short term it will be negative, longer term its effect will be negligible/positive.

3. Steve Holroyd

Steve Holroyd New Member

Apr 19, 2003
    New Jersey
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given Becks' rather inspired play in Italy, one of three things are clear:

1. MLS is a much better league that it's given credit for, and it honed Beckham's skills to the point where he could walk on to AC Milan and immediately star for him;

2. MLS is so awful that Beckham was completely handicapped by a minor league supporting cast; or

3. Beckham has phoned it in last summer, taking MLS' money to be the face of the league, and little else.

Actually, "all of the above" would be a good choice, too. Someone start a poll--we haven't had enough of those around here lately.

As for MLS--it's going to be a publicity hit, especially in a biased media which will trumpet his departure at a time when MLS is still achieving less-than-Pele/NASL type crowds as a failure. And the Eurosnobs who deride MLS will also cite his quick exit as "proof" that MLS is an inferior league. For the rest of us, who truly follow the league, it will be a bit disappointing, but, ultimately, one less distraction in the way of appreciating the young, hungry talent in the league.

4. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    the key element is the financial collapse and whether the money owed beckham will really exist to keep him in mls..

OR whether he goes because the finances have disappeared...

you really think that money is there??

5. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think you all should be more worried about Donovan leaving for Bayern :D

beckham was a publicity stunt, but donovan was an actual valued player for galaxy, and hes not dissapointing over in Germany this time around(so far), and its a very big possibility. After the last few friendlies i wouldnt mind watching donovan at Bayern for a few more years.

6. JamesTaylor

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps he'll lose the Landycakes nickname if he leads us deep into WC2010...

7. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Aren't they basically doing the same thing with him that they got so pissed at Man City about over Kaka?

8. SmashtheVan

SmashtheVan Member+

Jan 13, 2009
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, of course its only ok if THEY do it...

9. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, it's more important to me to see LD stay in Germany than Becks staying or going.

10. Onion41

Onion41 Member

Jun 13, 2007
    The Glass Factory
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he will go on loan to milan until after the world cup...and then he will come back here to finish his career....i think he feels as if he can play in WC2010...and he has proven that he can...which I think it will be his last hurrah

11. ImissTHEheat

ImissTHEheat Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Pennsylvania
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I read in the press coverage that Victoria is dead-set against a whole-sale move to a foreign language country with the three boys. Apparently while Becks was loving Real, she and the boys werent. Whats gonna give? Even if hes happy on the pitch, i wouldnt want to come home to a pissed off sporty spice. All this talk about money, and transfers, and loans, and the two people who seem to matter, Arena - who continues to say flatly that his stars are on loan until March 8th, and Victoria - who holds the keys to happiness off the pitch - both seem to be saying that AC is temporary and hes committed to LA. At least IMO, until the summer....

12. celt1997

celt1997 Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 31, 2006
    Philly Burbs
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please, in the interest of keeping this debate relevant and factual please don't use the wrong names. Victoria was "POSH" Spice. Thank you. :p

13. JamesTaylor

May 26, 2007
    Wilmington, DE
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd remember that if I still had a poster up...:eek:

14. JamesonSoB

JamesonSoB Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Reading, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Honestly, Donovan is a better player than Becks. I love the guy to death don't get me wrong, but LD is the one that the Galaxy will really miss if they both end up staying in Europe.

15. Zolo-Hornet

Zolo-Hornet Member

Apr 7, 2008
    West Chester
    Club:
    Watford FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Donovan is a better player than Becks - I disagree. Donovan is more important to the Galaxy - totally agree.

16. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    donovan and beckham are far different players..

bechkam gets the ball to the guy when and where they need him..

donovan is a guy who plays in space, a decent finisher..

you really need both types to succeed..

usmnt don't have a player to get the ball where it needs to be..

adu, actually is the closest

17. Onion41

Onion41 Member

Jun 13, 2007
    The Glass Factory
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=620188&sec=europe&cc=5901

Just like I said....he's gonna stay on loan until the world cup and then come back so we can boo his A$$:eek:

18. Adam Zebrowski

May 28, 1999
    this presumes england can make the wc finals!!

19. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if there euro 2008 performance has anything to say about it ...

20. SoB Bolton

SoB Bolton New Member

Mar 25, 2007
    Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But they didn't lose a match in Euro 2008... ;)