Is Beckham an all time top 50 player?

Discussion in 'Beckham Fans Forum' started by football_world, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got a better one. How about Paris Hilton verses Halle Berry?

2. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    i dont even think he would make that, bc he hasnt really play that much, you gone think you gone put beckam over cienfuegos or etcheverry ont his one? hell nawww

beckam may make top 50 manU players of all time, that would be a real debate that has not business in an mls forum.

but again, for those hardcore mls fans, if you can come up with a top50 mls players that would be awesome, let see how many of you who has been following the league from day one would put beckam in there.

3. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    OMG when i heard of c.ronaldo trying to hook with that zlut, i was like wow he should not be allowed to wear the glorious white shirt.

beckam, the best "long crosser" ever, prob, everyday i feel more sorry for epl fans, overrated league with mickey mouse players, at least they have a good coach now (capello).

i cant imagine la liga naming their best player bc he does great "long passes" can you imagine the best player in the brazilian league being that one dude that kick the ball "great" to the other side of the field? :D

4. pendulum

pendulum Member

Sep 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    meh.

this really is a pointless debate. it's 100% completely & entirely subjective out of the gates. people have their prejudices. no one is going to change anyone's mind. there is literally NO point in discussing this.

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I know you're new here but you seem to be missing the entire point of internet message boards.

Besides, this isn't really all that subjective.

6. CIA

CIA Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Club:
    Hijos de Acosvinchos
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    Only a dumbass would think that Beckham was anywhere remotely close to even the top-100. And I am no dumbass, hence my former post being sarcastic. And even if you weren't familiar with my posting, didn't it occur to you that if Becks was is the top-50 of world history, then why would I argue him being outside the top-50 of MLS history?:D

....This thread is as stupid as the "Is Landon Donovan currently in the top 20?"

7. Tmagic77

Tmagic77 Member+

Feb 10, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Define remotely close. I think that somewhere around there he's close enough in quality to those players that even though he might not fit in the list I wouldn't argue too heatedly against somebody that did place him there.

8. AguiluchoMerengue

Oct 4, 2008
    South Carolina
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    are you trying to say Beckam is better than Landon Donovan? NOBODY cant touch ld :D

landon is the chuck norris of american soccer.

9. Mucky

Mucky Member+

Mar 30, 2009
    Manchester England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC

You can not be serious!
    Cantona was the catalyst for Man Utd's Premier league domination.
    Even Fergie, arguably the greatest manager of all time stated he was his best ever signing.
    What you fail to appreciate is the influence Cantona had on Utd's young players and the belief he instilled in the team.
    Giggs, Scholes, Beckham and others were all helped in their development by Cantona.

As for his goals - it is not just how many goals he scored but how many crucial goals he scored, not to mention assists.
    If you think shearer was a better player than Cantona then ask yourself how many medals Shearer has and how many Cantona has.
    Before you say Utd had better players you should remember Utd had not won the title for 25 Years before Cantona arrived in 1992 but won it in his first Year at the club and went on to achieve the Treble with his help a feat never achieved before or since by an English club.

Shearer meanwhile won F-all with, at that time, a very talented Newcastle team who by the way blew title to Utd with an "influential" Shearer in his prime.
    He won a One off title with Blackburn who paid for the title at that time and no way could you put that success down to shearers influence.

Oh and Cantona only cost 1.2 Million which was probably the all time tranfer bargain - ever - anywhere.
    Shearer broke the transfer record twice and cost Newcastle 15 Million in 96.

All this coming from someone who watched him play at OT on a regular basis.
    A great Man will find his time and place to make history.
    Cantona found his at Old Trafford in the 90's.

PS
    Matt Le Tissier was an incredibly gifted footballer but could not handle the big stage, he needed to be a big fish in a small pond.
    Part of what makes a great player is being able to do it on the biggest stage, time and time again.

PPS
    Beckham top 50 in the World ever?
    Not a chance, a great player in his prime but never top 50 of all time.

10. football_world

Jun 13, 2006
    Classic Beckham crosses in the second game of La Galaxy vs Chivas. The first pass at 3:35 lead to Donovan's penalty kick, and the second pass at 4:28 should have been handled better by Donovan:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNtOKUfJ4fQ"]YouTube- Chivas USA at LA Galaxy Western Conference Semifinal Game Highlights 11/05/09[/ame]

Capello needs to include Becks for South Africa. There is no other English player that can hit crosses like that. Besides, Becks is pretty fit at his age now.

11. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Nah, Becks is definitely top 50 English all-time. No offense but some of the names you listed are a huge stretch. Stan Cullis, for instance, only played a few seasons worth of football. Nor should a player get ranked ahead of Becks simply for winning a World Cup.
    One thing about Becks is he has longevity, which shouldn't be discounted. Ten years after his prime years he's still good enough to make a strong England squad.

13. you_are_my_solskjaer

Aug 11, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

14. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

15. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

16. deron

deron New Member

Jul 25, 2006
    Centennial, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where would Becks rank if he had never left United?

17. ossieend

ossieend New Member

Apr 3, 2005
    derby u.k.
    Beckham's had and is still having a fine career, but top 50 in the world or even the UK? It's hard to say and depends on what criteria you're using to decide. How do you compare individuals in a team sport over such a variety of positions as Goalkeeper, Central Defender, Striker, Targetman etc? Then throw in the way the laws and equipment etc have changed even in the last 20 or 30 years.

One thing I will say as an Englishman though. World Cup Final 'if we get there' next summer, last minute, we get a direct free-kick 25 yards out in the inside left channel and we need a goal.

Guess which former Man U, Real Madrid and current Galaxy midfielder I want to take it.

18. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

19. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [IMO, this really is a separate thread/topic, but Cullis played seven full seasons of top flight football and then roughly three to four seasons worth of wartime football. He also received twelve caps for the senior England side: by the frequency of caps in the 30s compared to the modern era that's ROUGHLY in the neighbourhood of the high-20s to about the 40-ish range. As some contemporary examples: Bill Dean is considered arguably England's greatest centre-forward and he picked up 16 caps. Cliff Bastin is often discussed as being one of England's top 10, maybe even top 5 wingers of all time, and he garnered a "measly" 21 caps in his international career. I'm not saying that Cullis was in Bastin or Dean's class as footballers: I'm simply pointing out career cap numbers of other players who are considered England greats of that era.

Nor does cap totals or club appearances COMPLETELY denote all-time greatness either, IMO: Duncan Edwards is considered one of England's most promising players and he had 18 caps and about five seasons of top-flight football, IIRC (AGAIN, I'm not saying that Cullis rates above Edwards as an all-time player; I'm simply using Edwards for the sake of comparison here.).

A good place for to start looking for info on Cullis is his page on the Spartacus Educational site. The page actually has quotes from people in football such as Stan Matthews, Tommy Lawton, Stan Mortensen, Major Frank Buckley, etc., who played with/against Cullis, saw him play from the terraces, etc. The information on this and other Cullis bio pages speaks to his ability & impact far better than I can, so I won't bother repeating what's written there. I can post a link in case anyone doesn't know how to find the site via search engine. & just for clarification: I'm not stating that Cullis is BEYOND DOUBT a top 50 all-time English player. I'm simply saying that he frequently gets overlooked for what he did give to Wolves & England, IMHO.]

20. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hopefully not Beckham because his conversion rate for direct free kicks as an England player since 2002 has been appalling.

21. Big Soccer Member

Jan 16, 2008
    Surrey, England
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    For all the teams he's played for its been pretty awful. He only scored 19 goals in 4 seasons at Real Madrid, and I think that most of those were from open play. How many has he got for LA? It is only 2 or 3 isn't it?

22. Wile Coyote

Wile Coyote Red Card

Sep 21, 2000
    Punta del Este, Uru.
    Club:
    Club Nacional de Football
    beckham was at one time a very gifted player he still is but there is beckham pre posh and a beckham post posh and sadly the becks with the posh is a shadow of the footballer he once was and could have been...

his skills are that of a brilliant gifted player his personal trophy case speaks for it self

i would say becks is in the top 50 list but between number 50 and 40 on that list

23. RoyOfTheRovers

Jul 24, 2009
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    [Top 50 all time English player or top 50 worldwide? Because if it's top 50 worldwide, Becks is quite a ways from making the list, IMO.]