IRS targets tea Party groups regarding non-profit status.

Discussion in 'Elections' started by ceezmad, May 12, 2013.

1. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure by posting that clip if you agree with me or not. I never said or claimed this was a political winner for the GOP. But it is how the Legislative checks the Executive when it won't check itself.

Krauthammer makes a great point. The Benghazi hearing had irrefutable evidence the administration (and specifically Hillary Clinton) knowingly mislead the American people about the cause the Benghazi attack for two weeks after the event. Yet Gowdy decided to bury the lead at the hearing. Makes no sense. He knew Clinton and others lied publicly and repeatedly about the deaths of 4 Americans, including the Ambassador. Knowing that, I can see why the House is pursuing impeachment against the head of the IRS. Maybe it's not a political winner -- God knows the media will do everything it can to ignore the issue and portray it as another GoP fishing expedition -- but wen someone comes to testify under and oath and at best misleads, and worst lies -- I wouldn't give it a pass either.

2. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    11 people were indicted for Iran-Contra, and several convicted.

3. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Actually Kraphammer is partially right. The gop are inept at running any investigation but is because they start with the desired conclusions and then seek facts that support them.

The part where you and him are mostly wrong is about what constitutes a cause for investigation; reality keeps hitting republicans and their supporters in the face, since most of the time facts debunk their wild goose theories.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  4. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    There is no doubt that IRS bureaucrats were targeting conservative groups, Louis Lerner plead the fifth for Christ sake. But they had the protection of Obama's DOJ. That should scare anyone on either side of the political aisle.

5. chaski

chaski Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 20, 2000
    redacted
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Trey Gowdy is the straw that stirs the drink.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, those of us who are aware of the facts of the case now that there is doubt.

I know that's not What Rush Said, but them's the facts.

7. VFish

VFish Member+

Jan 7, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Atlanta
    You... aware of anything is amazing.

Why does someone need to plead the fifth if they are innocent?

8. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That reminds me of the statement Richard Armitage made to a reporter when he was questioned about the Valerie Plame affair. The reporter asked if he took a lawyer with him. He said: "I don't need a lawyer to tell me to tell the truth."

9. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But the impeachment is not about what the IRS did -- it's about the actions of the director when they tried to find out what the IRS did.

10. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Again, did he? Or is that the desired conclusion?

11. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Calling all libertarians, calling all libertarians...

@MasterShake29 @Timon19 @Karl K

:D

dapip repped this.
  12. Timon19

Timon19 Member+

Jun 2, 2007
    Akron, OH
    Yeah, that line of argumentation is stupid and statist. It's popular, and may even be correct in most cases, but that's only a secondary concern.

Smurfquake and MasterShake29 repped this.
  13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's right up there with "If he wasn't guilty, why did he run?"

luftmensch, MasterShake29 and Timon19 repped this.
  14. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    It was "Prince Spaghetti Wednesday" and his mama was calling him! :)

15. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smurfquake repped this.
  16. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently he failed to comply with Congressional subpoenas, and made false statements under oath. So that is why the will have an impeachment hearing. They can produce their evidence and members can decide for themselves.

17. roadkit

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. If Koskinen wasn't trying to stonewall an investigation, why did he lie about Lerner's emails and make false statements?

Because he was incompetent.

He didn't run because he was guilty, he ran because he was scared/stupid/had to take a shit real bad.

18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Yeah. As with all the previous hearings this congress has conducted...

19. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    IRS going after Patriot!!!

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2016/...olved-in-the-Bundy-standoff-s?detail=facebook

Assembly Speaker designate John Hambrick, R-Las Vegas. She was also named chairwoman of the Taxation Committee. In an abrupt about face, Hambrick last week replaced Fiore as tax chairwoman. He then changed his mind again the next day and reaffirmed both of her positions.

In September 2015, she abruptly closed her home health business and the state revoked her license after she refused to comply with state inspectors were unable to reach her for inspection. She, of course, blamed the big bad government and red tape for her business closure.

/quote

But she loves gunz!!!

20. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    Why does this belong in this thread? The didn't pay her taxes, had some liens placed on her and may or may not have paid them. I don't see anything in there about her feeling she was being targeted by the IRS for her various political stances.

21. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Sorry, should have posted one of the links embed in the story:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/dec/16/assemblywoman-fiore-to-address-reported-tax-liens/

She said she fired her entire staff, including her children, after the incident, and acknowledged she wasn’t paying close enough attention to her financial records.

“My trust level was so high because I was so consumed - that was my mistake,” Fiore said.

Fiore and taxation committee vice chairwoman Victoria Seaman also addressed tumult among Assembly Republicans, who took control of the lower house in November for the first time in decades.

Both women were removed from the taxation committee last week, but reinstated hours later. Fiore described the move last week as a war on women, but in the Tuesday interview, Seaman suggested that the incident was indicative of a war on fiscal conservatives.

And off course we all know that the IRS war on conservatives is very very real...

22. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is that gun-nut woman who posted a family photo of everyone in her family with a gun, including children, right?

Fiore described the move last week as a war on women, but in the Tuesday interview, Seaman suggested that the incident was indicative of a war on fiscal conservatives.

"They came for the women, but I did not speak up because I was not a woman. Then they came for the fiscal conservatives, but I did not speak up because I was not a fiscal conservative. Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak up."

23. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    fyp.

[​IMG]

24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    We finally have him on the bag!!!

http://m.motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2016/05/tea-party-demands-impeachment-scalp-republicans-cave

The House Judiciary Committee’s decision to hold hearings a week from today on whether to impeach IRS Commissioner John Koskinen is a victory for the chamber’s far-right caucus, still smarting over the agency’s treatment of conservative groups.

....One of the biggest questions now is whether the 76-year-old tax commissioner will show up for the grilling. IRS officials said Monday they have made no decision on whether Koskinen will accept the Judiciary committee’s invitation to appear May 24 and at a hearing in June.

/quote

25. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States