Ireland Vs Finland Match Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by Slash/ED, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Ireland Vs Finland Match Thread

Alright lads, we know what the squad is and it's looking like Breeno will be skipper so he should start, here's a bit of news I have so far.

Don't expect Breen, Given or Andy O'Brien to play more then 45 minutes as Newcastle and West Ham have matches 48 hours before the Finland game, the trio will also join up with the squad later.

At this moment in time, Millwall duo Reid and Sadlier are not 100% fit, I can't see either of these playing more then 45 minutes either.

It's near impossible to predict the starting line up, as you can tell with the squad he's picked there's going to be experimentation, if I we're to take a wild guess at it this is what I think will start the match, followed by the usual mass substituions

Dean Kiely,
    Steve Finnan,
    Steve Carr,
    Kenny Cunningham,
    Gary Breen (c),
    Damien Duff,
    Rory Delap,
    Matt Holland,
    Colin Healy,
    Robbie Keane,
    Clinton Morrison.

I'd expect to see Deaneo get axed at half time for Colgan, same with Holland for McPhail, Carr for Harte and Finnan going to the right or just a swap with Kells. Breen will go off, I'd imagine for Doherty. Robbie Keane to come off for Sadlier, and after Souness did his nut after the Denmark friendly, Duffer to come off for Kilbane. So that leaves Finnan, Cunningham, Healy, Delap and Morrison getting the full 90 minutes, of course with Mick you never know but this seems like the best guess right now.

Finland are expected to line up like this, main noteble absence being Forssell of Chelsea.

Keeper:
    Antti Niemi (Hearts, Scotland) (To be replaced by either Enckelman from Villa or Jaaskelainen from Bolton in the 2nd half)

Defenders:
    Janne Saarinen (Rosenborg, Norway)
    Hannu Tihinen (Anderlecht, Belgium)
    Sami Hyypia (Liverpool, England)
    Petri Pasanen (Ajax, Holland)

Midfielders:
    Joonas Kolkka (Panathinaikos, Greece)
    Aki Riihilahti (Crystal Palace, England)
    Teemu Tainio (Auxerre, France)
    Mika Nurmela (Heerenveen, Holland)

Strikers:
    Jari Litmanen (Liverpool, England)
    Jonatan Johansson (Charlton, England)

They are also expected to experiment heavily with mass subs in and around half time, so the game will be incredibley open and the result could be absolutley anything with the amount of subs expected so the result will be purley random but it's always a good thing to get the win under the belt but the main priority before the Russia Game is not to come out with cards or injuries, espically to Steven Carr. Post the updates and post match anaysis from the budding Gil'seys of this world in here so it doesn't get confusing and all over the place.

2. Leto

Leto New Member

Aug 23, 2001
    Donegal,Ireland
    I'd say Mick's gonna start with Harte again - he's already been defending him before the game even happens, so I'd be surprised if he doesn't start him to back that up as a matter of principle. He'll be gone at half time though.

3. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin

I know, frankly it depresses the absolute hell out of me that one person can be so stupid as to drop one of the best two full backs in the premiership for the sake of a free kicks.

4. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin

Also depressing is the fact that he will probably start with Kilbane wide left and keep with this fooking IDIOTIC idea of Damien Duff and Robbie Keane, three goals in two years, strike partnership.

5. Don Homer

Don Homer New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Dublin, Ireland
    I think Kevin could have a problem. From what I have been reading, he's not likely to have a starting place at Sunderland this season and, as loyal as Mick is to players, Reidy could be in, if he's in nick!

6. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Kilbanes played all pre season but with Wright being bought now I'd say Butler, Wright, Arca and Gray will make up the wide positions for Sunderland, meaning Mick HAS to leave Kilbane out and take the already much much better Butler instead. Butler really will be an absolute superstar.

7. Don Homer

Don Homer New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Dublin, Ireland
    Arca's the name I've heard will play there.

But don't be too quick to rule Kevin out of the Irish set-up. Mick stood by the likes of McAteer in the past and got a couple of important goals from it! He won't be shy about applying the same idea again in this case.

8. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    The real kicker this time is it will be an Irishman taking his place, Butler. We also have alot more debt now, he can't play Kilbane over Butler if Butler is playing over Kilbane at club level.

9. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Is there any chance of a webcast of the match?

10. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    I'm not so sure, I've never watched an Ireland match online before so I haven't a clue where you could find one but if you do give me a shout, never know when it could come in handy.

11. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    He means text updates and you might get it on Sky.

12. Pat Mustard

Pat Mustard New Member

Aug 12, 2002
    Ireland
    Slash/ED

Slash/ED is coming out with a lot of horsesh1t recently but his infantile remark about Kevin Kilbane viz. "the real kicker this time is it will be an Irishman taking his place, Butler" is a grave insult to one of the most honost and committed players we have ever had. I'm no great fan of his as a player but as far as I'm concerned this son of a Mayo father and Longford mother is more committed to his country than a lot of players born on this island particularly a certain person from Cork.

13. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Re: Slash/ED

So's Dominic Foley, will we dump Morrison for him?

14. Don Homer

Don Homer New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Dublin, Ireland
    Re: Slash/ED

In fairness, Mick McCarthy had a lot to do with Denis Irwin's decision to retire from international football when he did...

Oh, you mean the other Cork person. Well, Colin Healy HAD gone on holidays by the time Mick thought about calling him into the World Cup squad and you can imagine how annoying all the confusion must have been. I don't blame him for having mixed feelings.

15. Junior_Manc

Junior_Manc New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    Manchester, England
    FAO Slash/ED and Pat Mustard

So Slash, was this actually a dig at Kilbane being of Irish decent (as implied by PM) or was it, as i read, that it was merely that Butler is another irish player who would be ahead of Kilbane at club level?

16. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin

What you said JM, absolutley nothing more then that.

17. Don Homer

Don Homer New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Dublin, Ireland
    The usual wave of drop-outs before a friendly - Carr, Dunne, Sadlier, Finnan, Reid, O'Brien and Morrison are all unfit to travel.

Of more concern, Reid, Sadlier and Carr are all unlikely to be in the frame for Russia either...

With Dunne and O'Brien out and O'Shea being kept in Manchester, The Babbster could be in line for a recall!

18. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin

Worst of all, we only have one person who plays as a striker at club level in the entire squad, we'll have to use Duff or Doherty again, unless there be a suprise Dominic Foley recall....

19. Nigel_Sausagepump

Nigel_Sausagepump New Member

Jul 22, 2002
    UK
    Mick called Butler into the squad this morning after the 7 defections (why do I think it'll be more than that after the Newcatle-Hammers game?!).
    He tried to get Kebabb in as well but he cried off with a back injury.

20. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin

Babb may have messed up his last chance, we we're crying out for a defender. When I saw Butler got in I thought it was Paul Butler since we need a centre half but I'm chuffed now, I've been raving about this guy since the Sunderland Charlton game last year and he will be a STAR.

21. Don Homer

Don Homer New Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Dublin, Ireland
    Breen not named tonight for West Ham... Not sure if this means he's unfit to play. Good match to have sat out though, seeing the result!

At this rate, Mick will be togging out.

22. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Does anyone know where one can get updates of the score of the under 21 match? Again, I'm really missing Sports.com.

23. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Last minute goal secured a win for the Irish, Daly scored.

24. damienoftherovers

damienoftherovers New Member

Aug 20, 2002
    Ireland
    My team for Finland.

Given

Kelly
    Harte
    Cunningham
    Breen

Kilbane
    Holland