Ireland V Swiss TV Coverage

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by petef, Oct 5, 2003.

1. petef

petef New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Glasgow
    Is this game going to be on Setanta as theres been no real confirmation. Theres a lot of people living in the UK wanting to see this game. I'd be amazed if no ones going to show it considering its importance. Reading certain message boards theres a great deal of interest. Waxy O Connor's seem to have it on their listings but maybe there just expecting it to be shown.

2. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
  3. petef

petef New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Glasgow
    And by magic it appears!

4. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    No good to me, though. Looks like it will be RTE audio at best.

5. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    What? No pubs in Newfoundland? Oh Canada!

6. Di7seconds

Di7seconds New Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Land of the Free!!!!
    All the pubs watch hockey.

7. petef

petef New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Glasgow
    Get yourself on early for a spot on the internet radio, cant believe they only have enough space for 400. Canada really that bad, do they not even have Irish pubs that would show it?

8. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    St. John's has more pubs per-capita than any other North American city. But no international soccer to be found.

They show it in big cities. Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, etc. It's a three hour, $500 flight to Montreal, + accomodation.
    There just isn't a large enough Irish population here to support a paying audience.

They used show big matches, the last one being Northern Ireland in 1993, but I suppose since then prices have gone too high for pub owners to be able to rationalize purshasing the games. If only 20 people show up, then it's not worth it. They do show England games on occasion, but that's useless to me.

9. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Looks like you'll have to get one of those big old C-band satellite dishes then. I hear they can get most Euro channels. Then again, it will set you back $20K, plus it's kinda illegal.

10. petef

petef New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Glasgow
    Move back to Ireland ;)

11. shay

shay New Member

May 13, 2003
    london
    if you can't get it on rte audio then you will probably get in on bbc radio five live or 5 extra
    as it on a few hours before the england match it wont clash.

12. shay

shay New Member

May 13, 2003
    london
    can you not get setanta at home in newfoundland. can you get sky digital in canada.

on what satellite do setanta broadcast in north america.

13. shay

shay New Member

May 13, 2003
    london
    north american schedule

Sat-11-Oct Euro 2004 Qualifier Switzerland v Rep of Ireland (Pre-Game show) 11.00am T6/17

Date Category Game ET Satellite
    Sat-11-Oct Euro 2004 Qualifier
    Switzerland v Rep of Ireland 11.30am T6/17

Copyright © Setanta.com 2000

14. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    I don't think you can get Setanta at home at all in North America. They broadcast exclusively to to pubs. And we can't get any Sky stations, we can only get North American satellite signals. England matches are available on PPV here, but not Ireland ones.

And can anyone explain why the Georgia-Ireland match was shown online PPV @ setanta.com? Because that's the only match this campaign that I've seen, and it would be nice to know if it was just a fluke or not.

15. Father Ted

Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    no idea on the online thing but I caught this interesting paragraph on their website:

Setanta's Residential Channel

"Later this year Setanta intends to launch a residential channel focusing on affordable presentations of soccer and rugby. Both live and delayed games will be available. It will cost roughly $20 per month, or be part of a Sportpack, much as Fox Sports World is. This should greatly increase the availability of rugby in North America and, hopefully, make the hard core rugby fan very happy..."

http://www.setanta.com/sport/RugbyWorldCup03.htm

16. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    If it has to be radio I've heard Newstalks coverage is excellent.

17. shay

shay New Member

May 13, 2003
    london
    I seem to remember that georgia match wasn't available to residential viewers at all in england. i couldn't get it on setanta or sky.
    but it was on in the pub up the road. though i think they have rte there.
    i have often wondered if you brought back a sky digital box and viewing card back from ireland would you get rte in london. i think you would.
    you would have to get someone who already has a sky digital subscription to buy a second receiver and viewing card then set them up and bring them over and hook them up to the dish. any thoughts

18. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    If you bring an Irish card anywhere else and plug it into a sky digi box I'm fairly sure you'll get all the Irish channels, RTE and all.

19. petef

petef New Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Glasgow
    I'm off to Waxy's in Glasgow anyway.