Ireland v Germany

Discussion in 'Germany: National Teams' started by NY Hoop, Oct 8, 2012.

1. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Yea, fair enough. Every player can improve their game, Khedira is no exception. Well, everyone except Messi perhaps but he's not human.

I'd agree. That tournament was probably one of the best individual performances by a German footballer in history. Shame he wasn't adequately recognized for his form that season. Do think Khedira has been the more consistent of the two in the last 2-3 years though for sure.

2. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    My worry with both Sami K and Mesut is that under Jose, neither will become possession oriented players. Its a bit of a poisoned chalice - see Wesley Sneijder

3. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I agree with you, but he has gone missing for Real Madrid this season, but this is more a case of the entire team not performing rather than him.

4. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Mourinho plays 4-3-3, its very possession oriented. Not like Barcelona, but still - they're developing phenomenally.

My concern is not for the, but for our striker. Who exactly is going to score for us? I don't think Gomez is in tune with the rest of the squad in that respect.

5. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Khedira has been one of RM most consistent players according to many of their fans this season.

Mourinho primarily plays a 4-2-3-1. Khedira plays the double 6 role along Alonso.

6. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    That doesn't mean he hasn't gone missing, still a beast - but during their early losing streak, the entire team was playing badly and he kind of went along with them.

You're right, I guess it depends on the opposition. Still very possession oriented, which is not very difficult considering you're playing in La Liga.

7. SirManchester

SirManchester Member+

Apr 14, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I don't get the Khedira missing comments.

People are not used to box to box midfielders and most formations don't utilize them so it's easy to believe they 'go missing' but I don't think that's the case or even right to conclude.

We can say that oftentimes he's been misused or when asked to perform a task can look out of element because it doesn't suit his game. Mourinho has changed this but if there is a player who doesn't go 'missing' he would be the last to talk about on that list.

My biggest peeve with him is his negative retention but that's an issue with the entire German football contingent.

8. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Correct, the whole team played below average...and Khedira along with Cristiano Ronaldo and Oezil were no exception. "Gone missing" to me means he was the exception while the rest of the team played well.

odd1234 repped this.
  9. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I'm not worried about Özil because he's too talented to be "untaught". He's the kind of player that could excel anywhere and adapt very quickly.

odd1234 repped this.
  10. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You mean their poor start? That really wasn't down to the individual.

11. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I think thats changing, Reus, Ozil, Klose, Schweini, Gotze, Hummels, Badstuber, Lahm, Kroos, Gundogan are all great at keeping the ball. Phenomenal in fact. Khedira isn't that kind of player but he can do his job exceptionally well I believe.

12. The Bavarian Oak

Apr 27, 2012
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Messi is an Argentinian genetic engineering project. You heard it here first.

Agreed.

13. ruhrpott dackel

Oct 1, 2009
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    when you say "team" you're referring to real madrid? die nationalmannschaft? schalke?
    this threads confusing and i have a tummy upset

herthabsc and Cris 09 repped this.
  14. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Khedira is at par with Schweini?

I think not.

15. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    See what I mean?

herthabsc, Rosebud and Cris 09 repped this.
  16. Hendrik

Hendrik Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Deutschland
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    meh, for quite some time now Schweinsteiger has been given the defensive role. He stays back and covers for the second CM who on the other hand is supposed to contribute to the attack while having little defensive responsibility.

Yes, Khedira is vastly superior to Kroos on the defensive end, but his role at the Euro; running all over the pitch, going all out on attack and leaving the dirty work to Schweinsteiger, Kroos can do better.

17. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    The problem is Schweinsteiger didn't do his job well at the EUROs (for obvious reasons). Khedira covered a lot for him.

18. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Khedira gives this team a verticality that none of our other midfielders do. He covers a ton of ground and is effective all over the place. Kroos is a more skilled player around the box, although Sami gets under-rated in that respect, and his size and strength are good to have bursting in, but Sami can drop back and cover for Schweini in a way Kroos just can't. Benders could play a similar role, but neither's skilled not to be a big downgrade around the box. Sami and Schweini really are a great pair when both are healthy, Schweini the more stastic deep passer, sami the box-to-box runner who's great at getting the ball back, getting forward in the buildup and even finishing in the box.

Now Kroos would look great playing infront of those two in a three man midfield, but unfortunately he's gotta compete with Oezil for that spot and Mesut's just better right now, and is a more brilliant passer. This is why I think about a 4-3-1-2 with Reus and Mueller/Schuerrle/Poldi as the two "forwards", that way you could fit the three man midfield Kroos excels in without relegating Mesut to a wing and letting him drift around as he is want to do. Biggest problem would be Schmelzer, he'd need to play cause we'd need to have two FBs that can really haul ass up n down the flanks to keep our strengths in the wide areas.

odd1234 and ForeverRed repped this.
  19. ForeverRed

ForeverRed Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    NYC
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Very good points. It shouldn't have to be a matter of Khedira or Kroos but one of tactical variety/experimentation but that precludes Löw being open minded to switching things around a bit. We have the players to change things up and there are so many choices to consider but one has to wonder whether Löw would be willing to venture so far out of his comfort zone. Schweinsteiger, Khedira and Kroos in midfield would give us a lot of flexibility and a great retention element that we've lacked against Spain if molded properly over time. Then you have the plethora of permutations up front with Özil, Götze, Müller, Podolski, Reus and Schürrle. It's worth a try in my opinion.

20. Dhajj

Dhajj Member+

Nov 25, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I never thought about that idea... I love it!

Lahm hummels badstuber schmelzer
    Khedira kroos piggy
    Ozil
    Muller reus

Gotze/schurrle rotate with muller/reus

Ozil would have to play a more adanced role in this one though so that him and kroos don't clog up the same space in attack...

Kroos is best outside the box taking his blistering shots in..

21. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    I see it looking something like.

[​IMG]

Although this would be asking a lot of our Wingers and fullbacks, but we know Reus can play as a second striker, so the question becomes can Muller/Schurrle/Poldi play next to him up top.

22. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    And something like this in possession:
    [​IMG]

23. Cris 09

Cris 09 Trololololo

Nov 30, 2004
    Westfalenstadion
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

A counter-strike made in heaven! :rolleyes:

24. Rosebud

Rosebud Member+

Aug 5, 2012
    Chicago, IL, USA
    Club:
    Union Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    You're always going to be susceptible to counters against team that park the bus. Hummels and Bads at least have experience holding a high line with help from one of the fullbacks, Schweini and one of Ozil or Khedira back for retention.

25. odd1234

odd1234 Member

Mar 2, 2011
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Have to disagree there, Schweinsteiger definitely maintained that box to box position, at least during the WC2010.

I think the fact that he's been injured for nearly a year means something, he never truly peaked after WC2010. He tore a muscle during the final against chelsea, only indicative of the kind of problems he's facing.