Ireland v Czech Republic (R)

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by pmannion, Feb 27, 2012.

1. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    The first of three Euro 2012 warmups is Wednesday night at the Aviva Stadium. Discuss here.

Most important talking point will probably be the debut of Sunderland's James McClean.

2. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Starting XI:

Given, O'Shea, St. Ledger, O'Dea, Ward, Duff, Andrews, Whelan, McGeady, Keane, Long.

Doyle and Fahey couldn't shake off their knocks and are back at their clubs. Keane is going to play the withdrawn role in a 4-4-1-1. Maybe this is the system we will see at the Euros, since Croatia, Spain and Italy will all overrun us in midfield?

McClean and Duffy to make their debuts at some point, but probably only as late substitutes.

3. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    The Irish media seem to be taking a leaf out of their English counterparts book in the way James McClean is being built up. I've never seen such hype over a new kid on the block since Keane and Duff but theirs was over a period of time whereas with James is instant.

I just hope people don't expect too much.

Great player though! :D

4. NY Hoop

NY Hoop Member

Shamrock Rovers
    Jun 3, 2003
    Dublin
    Club:
    Shamrock Rovers
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Great to see McClean playing for his country only 6 months after leaving the LOI.

Surprised there isnt another home friendly for 3 months though.

KOH

5. Bucky-O'Hare

Bucky-O'Hare Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Ireland
    Club:
    Derry City
    My God Traps can be one frustrating man! McCarthy, James, Duffy and Coleman all need to be looked at and should have been given a half at least. Only James got 15 minutes.

For me the positives were a well taken goal by Simon Cox and a good performance from Andrews who probably cemented his place on the first 11.

Paul Green coming on looks ominous for McCarthy and Gibson. One or both of them might not make the plane.

6. pmannion

pmannion Member
    Staff Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Newfoundland
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Agreed - can't see McCarthy making the squad at this stage. Trapattoni said something to the effect that he was too young.

While we were poor enough on the night, it's important that we didn't lose. With the system as it is, we'll never have more than 30-40% possession. Apart from one serious defensive mistake, though, we were rarely troubled and actually created more clear-cut opportunities than they did. Long should have buried his header in the first minute.

The major question/concern is whether Croatia, Italy and Spain have the quality to turn their possession into clear-cut chances?

7. Deand21594

Deand21594 Member+

Jan 24, 2012
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Out of all the teams in our euro group i think Italy will be possibly our toughest test, the italian players are used to playing against teams such as us and they will be patient in attack..hopefully we'll be able to frustrate Spain like Switzerland did in WC 2010, and as for Croatia i think its fair game for the 3 points.

8. Amberss

Amberss New Member

Mar 4, 2012
    Club:
    3 de Febrero
    Great to see McClean playing for his country only 6 months after leaving the LOI.[​IMG]