Ireland shows Europe, and the US (?), the path...

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dj43, Jul 1, 2005.

1. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Then the solution's obvious: the US should join the EU. Though it'll have to get in the line behind Turkey, of course.

2. Maczebus

Maczebus New Member

Jun 15, 2002

Oh no, it is indeed a plus. I was stating that the leaps and bounds the country and experienced were from not much more than international charity. Sure they've done well with what they've got and recieved, including enticing comapnies to invest in Ireland - but they haven't done it from kissing the Blarney Stone.
    As I say - give most countries the sheer amount of EU investment Ireland has, and they'd also do quite well.

3. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I'd like to believe that was true. However, it has yet to be shown in any other EU state, and few if any African countries that have received foreign aid have much to show for it. Now, when the USA Marshall Plan helped rebuild Europe, I'd say there was a good return on investment. However, 50 years later, new Europe has a reduced (I'm being kind) appreciation of the assistance provided. I hope Ireland remembers the boost it received from the EU. I've seen programs on TV where young Irish people complain about immigrants, forgetting that millions of their older relatives left Ireland for a better life around the world.

4. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I'd say Ireland's done a fantastic job at maximizing the benefits of EU funds. Additionally, being English speaking has also been an advantage in attracting foreign (particularly American and to a lesser extent Japanese) investment.

5. dmar

dmar Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Madrid, Spain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    Nah, just the red states. We'll let the blue ones join with the next ampliation. :D :cool:

6. dj43

dj43 New Member

Aug 9, 2002
    Nor Cal
    When companies like Intel and Dell invest in subsidiaries in Ireland, and both the companies, and the nation prosper, I no longer consider that "charity."

For some reason you seem to be missing the point that Ireland has done a great deal to make themselves ATTRACTIVE TO INVESTMENT. Charity is what is sent to Zimbabwe to feed starving kids. No return is expected there.

We are talking two entirely different concepts here.

7. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    He's referring to structural funds from the EU, not FDI. Although I wouldn't use the word 'charity', in some ways that's what it is: other EU countries have contributed significant aid to Ireland to further its economic development. As I said before, Ireland has done a great job of using that aid effectively, moreso than similar recipients such as Greece and Portugal.

8. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ireland has really turned things around in the last 15 years or so. It was only a short time ago, up to the mid to late 1980's that the country was in dire straits - high unemployment, high emigration etc. In fairness, the subsidies from the EU did more or less help keep the country afloat during the difficult times. The key to Ireland's recent economic success is the attractive low corporate tax rates and incentives the government offered to overseas companies in the 1980s and 1990s. Indeed there was some time where come companies did not have to pay any corporate tax at all in Ireland. Plus having a well educated workforce eager to make money helped too.

However to say everything is all fine and dandy in Ireland is false. Although the Health Care System is a nationalised one, there are many problems with it and the level of care provided. Lets just say I would prefer to get sick here in the US with my high monthly premium than I would in Ireland where I could use the national healthcare system.

My final comment on this is that if tomorrow morning the execs at at a couple of the high tech companies such as Dell or Intel or some pharmachutical companies found that some other country offered more attractives than Ireland does and they pull out, the country would collapse. The country is too small and is in danger of being over dependant on some of the large, mainly US companies.

9. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    fixed your post