Iran

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by GringoTex, Dec 19, 2005.

1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Poor, less educated, more religious.....see the connection....

2. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002

In case anyone is interested, Persia is mentioned 33 times in the "Old Testament" (in the "writings') Specifically, 2 Chronicles, Ezra, Nehemiah, Daniel, and Esther (which is read on Purim).

By comparison, Egypt is mentioned 639 times. Assyria, 134 times.

The "Old Testament" consists of the following:

Torah:

Genesis בראשית
    Exodus שמות
    Leviticus ויקרא
    Numbers במדבר
    Deuteronomy דברים

Prophets:

Joshua יהושע
    Judges שופטים
    Samuel (I & II) שמואל
    Kings (I & II) מלכים
    Isaiah ישעיה
    Jeremiah ירמיה
    Ezekiel יחזקאל

(minor prophets)
    Hosea הושע
    Joel יואל
    Amos עמוס
    Obadiah עובדיה
    Jonah יונה
    Micah מיכה
    Nahum נחום
    Habbakkuk חבקוק
    Zephaniah צפניה
    Haggai חגי
    Zechariah זכריה
    Malakhi מלאכי

Writings:

Psalms תהלים
    Proverbs משלי
    Job איוב
    Song of Songs שיר השירים
    Ruth רות
    Lamentations איכה
    Ecclesiastes קהלת
    Esther אסתר
    Daniel דניאל
    Ezra and Nehemiah עזרא ונחמיה
    Chronicles (I & II) דברי הימים

3. Chris M.

Chris M. Member+

Jan 18, 2002
    Chicago
    Are these minor prophets equivalent to P-40 prophets, and will they be available through the waiver draft?

4. valanjak

valanjak BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    BenReilly you remind of Bill O’reilly, are you guys related by any chance?? Why the hell do you waste your time reading the “Old Testament” that’s a waste of reading, there are plenty of books which talk about real life issues , not the BS that all the religious books write about, do you truly believe the crap that’s written in the bible or the quran or the torah, do you believe in the BS biblical stories???
    1000 years from now people will be reading about us being obsessed with Jesus Christ and Muhammad and laugh at us , just like we laugh at the Egyptians and theirs gods.
    Now stop downplaying the importance of the Persian Empire, I know you grew up in a country which has no history and that irritates you but you don’t have to attack others who have a rich history.

5. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    In Korea during WC'02, I learned that the Korean alphabet doesn't have the letter "F"! They substitute "P"! (France = Pur-ann-suh!) Even funnier, this was explained to me by a Korea lady named Sofia! In Korean, her name is Sopia!

6. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    I doubt that Ben is of the "U Raghailligh", though Bill certainly is.
    REILLY - Name Meaning & Origin, Definition: A patronymic surname meaning "descendant of Raghallach," a personal name from the Old Norse and introduced by the Vikings. Ragheallach can be broken down into "ragh" meaning 'race' and "ceallach" meaning 'gregarious.' Surname Origin: Gaelic, Irish Alternate Surname Spellings: O'REILLY, O'RAHILLY
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/4crests/ocoofarirfac1.html

Persia's history is currently as meaningful as the Mayans. Iran may have been rich once, now it's wretch. Your culture has been hijacked by the Shiites. America has its own indigenous pop culture & doesn't give a sh!t what the rest of the world thinks. No one cares about what passes for current Iranian culture & that galls you. Live with it or change it, your choice.

7. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I am sorry, but your post is wrong on so many points that to correct it would require me to post a message too long even by my standards!

Iran is sui generis. Hopefully you will one day understand enough about history to know what I mean. This is not because Iranians are so special per se, but because the country has had a very long and enduring presence in our world.

As for Iran even today, as someone who lives in Iran, and as I tell many Iranians who confuse every day issues that exist everywhere with the notion that there must be some utopia out there that they are missing, Iranians are still a rather foturnate lot. I am familiar with practically everything that gets written about Iran in the West, and every stat and spin out there. I also know what is wrong with many of those stats and figures.

The truth is that Iran is doing rather well. While it has problems, the only thing that can keep Iran from reaching where it has typically found itself to be among the nations of the world, whether economically, politically, or militarily, are efforts by those foreigners who pretend to care for the welfare of Iranians while trying to hurt them as much as possible! Otherwise, Iran's future looks very bright and its present is not all that shabby either.

8. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    "Thou shall not disobey the law of the Persians"

Wasn't that in the "Old Testament" somewhere?

9. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The Book of Ezra alone, believed to be written by a Persian Jew, refers to the Persian King 190 times while making no mention of the God of Israel.

The Jewish festival of Purim itself is believed to be of Persian origin, incidentally.

Besides the Book of Esther, both Ezra and Nehemiah also contain such pervasive Persian influence they are believed to have been written by envoys of the Persian king to help them solidify Persian rule and customs over the Jews and, thereby, advance Persian imperial policy.

Not that this issue is all that important to me, but if you are going to quote me to ostensibly correct me on a subject, at least make a point that is valid!

10. nutbar

nutbar New Member

Apr 22, 2001
    Canada
    In the off chance that this hasn't been mentioned yet, let me remind you all that Iran invented Christmas (the three wise men) and New Year's.

11. | Mr. Universe |

| Mr. Universe | BigSoccer Yellow Card

Aug 29, 2005
    Pudding Island
    I mentioned it here

but they closed my beautiful thread, it even contained a picture of a cute fox, the mods here can be so cruel some times. Le sad smiley for these wankers :(

12. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    LOL, you could actually read the book! Is that so difficult? The 190 figure is nonsense and the Jewish God is mentioned countless times.

From the first page, we have these quotes:

"And in the first year of Cyrus king of Persia, that the word of Jehovah by the mouth of Jeremiah might be accomplished, Jehovah stirred up the spirit of Cyrus king of Persia, and he made a proclamation throughout his kingdom, and also in writing"

"Whosoever there is among you of all his people, his God be with him, and let him go up to Jerusalem, which is in Judah, and build the house of Jehovah the God of Israel -- he is God -- which is at Jerusalem."

Again, you should actually read the books since they're not very long. Esther is a very Jewish-Persian story, obviously.

13. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    No, it is not anywhere in the "old testament."

Again, the "old testament" is a collection of numerous books written over a millenium.

14. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'd also like to point out that the Writings are often not religious. For example, read the Song of Songs :D

Your stature is like that of the palm,
    and your breasts like clusters of fruit.

8 I said, "I will climb the palm tree;
    I will take hold of its fruit."
    May your breasts be like the clusters of the vine,
    the fragrance of your breath like apples,

9 and your mouth like the best wine.

Beloved
    May the wine go straight to my lover,
    flowing gently over lips and teeth. [a]
    10 I belong to my lover,
    and his desire is for me.

11 Come, my lover, let us go to the countryside,
    let us spend the night in the villages.

12 Let us go early to the vineyards
    to see if the vines have budded,
    if their blossoms have opened,
    and if the pomegranates are in bloom—
    there I will give you my love.

13 The mandrakes send out their fragrance,
    and at our door is every delicacy,
    both new and old,
    that I have stored up for you, my lover.

15. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999
    Thanks for once again pointing out how full of bs IM is. He sounds authoritative until you actually check his references.

16. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005

is this authentic translation or Greek/Americanized version, cuz in the old days, there was a lot of it, example - classic Persian poems often have many references as such but the meaning and interpretation can be much much deeper than the flesh.

is this a song that was/is sung in sinagauges?

17. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Oh, respond to post #131, but ignore post #130! Thanks for reducing your usual verbose riposte. ;) My reply was basically for the benefit of valanjak, who insulted both the O'Reillys & the USA. You should agree that most in the USA (except for Iranian emigres) have no interest in Iran's past or present & little in its future. OTOH, certain Iranians (I'm not pointing fingers!) seem overly concerned with discussing the little interest that exists. Outside of pistachios & carpets, most Americans have no idea what happens in Iran & no interest in finding anything out. Sorry that we don't care, but get over it.

18. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should we really worry about a "CRAZY" fvckwad in Iran?

I mean..come on..he is wish-@ss-ing for the 12th Imam to come and wipe off the world...didnt this jack@ss build some sort of "yellow" brick road for his mindless pvssy?

:D

~worm~

19. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    There isn't a problem with the translation from Hebrew (aside from the aesthetics), it's a blatantly erotic and romantic collection of poems. Whether there's a deeper intended meaning, I do not know. The Rabbis have ridiculously interpreted its meaning as an allegory of God's love for Israel. :D It's even sung/chanted in synagogue yearly.

Some parts are very touching such as "I am my beloved's and my beloved is mine" It can often be found on Jewish wedding contracts.

[​IMG]

20. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    You are referring to the book of Ezra, which nonetheless contains Persian influence to a large extent. It should have been clear from the quote I put right below my comment, as well as my later comments, that I was referring to the Book of Esther even though I inadvertently wrote the Book of Ezra in that passage. The book of Esther refers to the Persian king 190 times.

I have read the story in the Book of Esther.

The point is that you were being misleading when you tried to minimize the influence and mention of Persian things in Jewish scriptures.

21. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How much do you get paid for your dim-whit-crap...?

IM?

Are you a tool?

~worm~

22. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999
    No IM, once again you are the sly one that tries to mislead. You said the prominent mention of persia in the old testament. You quoted a story in the book of esther that involves the King of Persia. Mention in one book, does not constitute prominent mention of persia in the old testament.

23. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I was not responding to the point about the interest (or lack thereof) of Americans in Iran and Iranian history. Although you overstate the case, that point is not all that important in my eyes. If the US government was similarly "uninterested" in Iran, and would stop its undeclared war and let the country be, I would even welcome that lack of interest. Even if it betrays much ignorance.

But I guess comparing Iranian history with Mayan civilization, or to call Iran's current state wretched, irked me regardless of who your post was responding to.

I should add that while there was a time when the American people could afford their ignorance, I believe it would serve them well if they learned a bit more about the country being presented to them everyday as essentially the top "axis of evil" member in the world.

24. #10 Jersey

#10 Jersey Member

May 2, 1999
    It must be hard for Iran to compete with North Korea for top prize, but your leaders are doing their best.

25. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    About to lead to failure...Iran is heading that way fast..

Oh-well...

More grain aid for our midwest farmers!

:eek:

~worm~