Iran test fires long-range missile

Discussion in 'International News' started by Scarecrow, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/08/27/iran.missile.reut/index.html

You can pretty much bet that this missile is from North Korea, as for the radar evading, very unlikely. Still iran continues to try and beef up their military and they are apparently very worried about US Forces in the region, that is why they are trying to put on such a show. Their best bet is to give up on their nuclear program until it can be observed by the west or until the mullahs are no longer in charge.

2. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Regarding the submarine force Iran is building, besides those which have already been showcased.

Regarding modifications to Iran's air force planes, including those sold to Iran during the Shah's era.

These comments were most revealing, showing the vulnerabilities of the US navy operating in the area.

3. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alot of boasting, and words. Nothing more. Big deal. During the Cold War we had subs taking pictures from inside Murmansk, and Vladistovak.

The fact is that we have far superior subs that are beyond anything iran has and it is very likely we knew exactly where these subs have been. Since this blowhard was not on board any US Naval Vessel he has no clue as to whether the Navy knew he was there or not.

But whatever, you guys just keep talking, cause if the shooting starts you will find real fast that words and bravado don't do well against reality. Hey maybe armanass can come up with a good line like Saddam's mother of all battles. :D

4. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    This article could go in any number of threads on this board. But I post it here because ultimately the proof of the pudding is in the pie.

As I had mentioned when the war between Israel and Hezbollah had erupted, if Hezbollah had lost the war, it would mean that resistance is futile and that Iran would have to find a way to appease the US. However, the reverse is also true: with Israel's failure, the lessons will ultimately drive home the realization that the US does not even have the 'sticks' some assume it has!

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/756412.html

5. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    You can't have your cake & eat your pudding! :D

6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The past few days, it has been the airforce's turn to show off its capabilities during Iran's Zulfaqar war games.

Along with formations of various Iranian aircraft (e.g., Mig29s, F-14s, F-4s, F-5s, Su-24s, etc), Iran has also featured some of its air defense systems and missiles.

Below are some of the Iranian anti-aircraft and anti-missile systems featured during the Zulfaqar war games.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Pictures of some of the aircraft participating in the Zolfaqar war games.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    http://english.people.com.cn/200609/05/eng20060905_299651.html

9. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I suspect Iran's best option for fighting a war would be to take a page out of the terrorists hand book, rather than trying to match the US step for step. The Soviet's tried it and it just ran them into the ground. Maybe once the people wake up and realize they aren't getting help or improving the society they will throw the mullahs out........wait that's what the people of the US need to do too.

From my couch it looks like a lot of boasting.

10. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is all boasting. Full of sound and fury signifying nothing.
    As for the US, at least in Nov. we get a chance to forment change here. The same cannot be said for iran.

There is nothing that iran is showing that the US didn't have 20 years ago.

11. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    It sure is. Iran has outdated equiptment or north korean junk to back up their tough talk, why do you think they are so desperate to develope nuclear weapons? They're FRIGHTENED! They hope if they talk load and delay long enough they can come up with the nukes while the world sits on its collective thumbs. In seven years they couldn't handle Iraq, they'd be our bitches in 2 weeks. At most.

12. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    After having looked at these pictures, it would make sense that everyone should ask himself just ONE simple question:

Would I ever want to be on the recieving end of these missiles? :)

13. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You obviously haven't seen the US missiles or you would be laughing at these toys iran is showing off.

14. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    I think you missed the point, yet again! :)

The fact that the US has bigger and/or bigger "toys" does NOT impede the impact of the missiles shown in this thread, and thereby, my question still stands:

Would I ever want to be on the recieving end of these missiles?

15. TeamUSA

TeamUSA Member

Nov 24, 1999
    Tianjin, China
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll take the bait. The answer is no, nobody would want to be on the receiving end of these missiles. But now you have to answer this question: Does Iran or anyone else really want to get into this kind of a pissing contest with the US? Look at the recent statements for the leader of Hezbollah. They claim victory, but quickly realized that statement was rather hollow. And in the end the answer remains the same in regards to war........nobody wins.

16. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Iran is not the country threatening war to further its agendas. As such, as long as the message is one that says that no one wins in a war, that is fine with Iran. That is Iran's message as well.

The fact is that Iran has already been able to sell its message to those experts who have to look at the reality of what a war with Iran would entail. Unfortunately, there are many in the US and elsewhere who are not experts on the subject, but who are quite clearly impressed with their own 'might' and who believe otherwise. Who believe that there is a military solution to the issues relating to Iran.

Personally, I am not worried about them. I have no doubt Iran is capable of defending itself and retaliate with devestating force, certainly in any conventional war or against any threats of 'air strikes'. And I am equally convinced that this fact is known by both the US and Israel. Sure, there are still some odd voices such Richard Pearle who maintain otherwise, but these are thoroughly discredited voices. When even a rabid Iran hater in the pay of Israel, such as Newt Gingrich, now argues that the issues with Iran cannot be handled through the military, you should know that at least that debate has been settled.

The real danger for Iran is not one that would arise from any military battles. The danger is one that Iran faces in the corridors of 'diplomatic' power where the US is busy trying to undermine Iran, tie its hands down, isolate it, sanction it, push for an implosion from within, and then enjoy the resulting destruction and civil war. The good news is that even this track is not going to succeed. The bad news is that this track could cost Iran dearly nonetheless. But until Iran is offered something that genuinely ends the US war against it, Iran has no choice but to bear the costs.

17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The Saeghe fighter, first test flown in 2003, was commissioned into the Iranian airforce yesterday. Iran additionally tested a 2,000 pound precision guided bomb, the kind the US touted in its shock and awe campaign against Iraq.

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2006/09/06/africa/ME_GEN_Iran_Military.php
    Below is a picture of the new version of the Saeghe (right side of the picture, in light blue color, flying alongside an F-5), commissioned by the airforce.

This version is smaller in size than the one that was test flown in 2003 and is pictured here flying alongside an F-5 which it is modeled on for its frame albeit with a different cockpit design and with two fins. The important thing, however, is the systems used on these aircraft, which are all new and different than the ones which these aircraft had been supplied with.

[​IMG]

18. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That F-5 wanna be, which is sub-sonic btw, wouldn't last 5 minutes against an F/A-18. Even less time against a Super Hornet. But you go on keep thinking that these inferior planes are your saviors, when armanass starts the war and your little planes are blown out of the sky on day 1 I will be there to laugh and say I told you so.

19. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    The Iranian plane has a "Razorback" canopy so the pilot doesn't have 360 visability either.

I just don't get what reverse engineering a 1960's design will do.

20. Rostam

Rostam Member

Dec 11, 2005
    I have a question - Does this war game only employ the regular Armed Forces (Army, Navy, AF) or did it also include the Revolutionary Guards Forces as well?
    It may serve us well to know that Iran's RG Forces are run in parallel with all the regular Forces and yet independent. It's like having two complete sets of Army, AF,and Navy plus all the Special Forces.

21. Mani

Mani BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 1, 2004
    Club:
    Perspolis
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  22. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And yet look how proud they are of this. Oh look we made our own plane, but we couldn't come up with an orginal airframe, you know the avionics aren't their own, I highly doubt that it even has a HUD. In 1961 this might have been a good plane, but not in 2006.

23. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    Does this thread have a point or is it just a home for the willy wavers?

24. valanjak

valanjak BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    This is like Kindergarten , my toy is better then your toy :rolleyes: , some people need to grow up

25. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--