iPad 2

Discussion in 'Technology' started by JeremyEritrea, May 14, 2011.

1. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got an iPad 2 for my birthday. My wife has Windows laptop with a webcam. Is it possible for me to chat with her from my iPad to her PC?

Is there a Windows version of FaceTime?

2. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Just Barely Outside the Beltway
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I read a while back that they were working on FaceTime for Windows, but I don't think there is one as of now.

My understanding is that Skype for iPad does video chats, so that should work for chatting with your wife.

3. StudioGangster14

StudioGangster14 Red Card

Jun 16, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    whats the difference between ipad 1 and 2?

4. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Rear and front cameras, faster chip, more RAM, lighter, skinnier, comes in two colors. Other than that, pretty much the same.

5. StudioGangster14

StudioGangster14 Red Card

Jun 16, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Afghanistan
    Thats all i needed to hear. Steve jobs is such a thug. Such a typical apple gimmick move to sell the same product.

6. KesOne

KesOne BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    It isnt only apple, alot of brands do the same. Just ask the blackberry fans.

7. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I was actually kidding and SG14 missed the joke. iPad 2 is actually a big leap forward in terms of performance and feature set, if not the overall experience, from the original iPad. They have an annual product update cycle so every new release tends to be appreciably different from the last.

8. KesOne

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    No flash though. So much content, for me at least, is missed because of this. I've played with the ipad 2, its ok. Its just when its easy enough for a baby to use then I dont know lol. Now even the android tablets do everything I like to do. I might regret saying this but I'm looking forward to see what the Windows 8 tablets have to offer.

9. That Phat Hat

That Phat Hat Member+

Nov 14, 2002
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Web's transition away from Flash is a work in progress (and it wouldn't be happening without iOS devices), but then again, so is Flash for mobile devices. They still haven't figured out power management and issues with spotty connection, while more content providers are using native apps and HTML5 video, so it's becoming less of an issue. It's not something that bugs me, but obviously YMMV.

App availability, especially tablet-specific apps, is where Android is still behind, but again, YMMV.

Windows tablet? I get the sense that Microsoft doesn't take tablet computing seriously and still think of it as an extension of desktop computing, so eh for me.

10. KesOne

Mar 11, 2005
    Nueva Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    Peru
    To be fair Windows was one of the first tablet vendors years ago, didnt really take off too big but then again they dont own the fashionable apple brand logo that alot of people go for.

Now as far as extension of desktop computing, well hell yea. I'm all for that and apparently apple is too, and android is also trying to get to the same one os platform for all devices type of standard. Just look at apple with os x lion and how it resembles ios in alot of aspects.

If I can do mostly all things on a tablet that I can do on a pc at home but in an easier to carry form factor then thats the road I'm taking. I dont really want a watered down version of an os on a tablet, I have my android device for that and its not that watered down. I've seen what apple and android tablets can do so now I'm giving windows a chance to wow me, of course whichever I end up getting I'll be tethering it to my android device :D

11. Samuel5

Samuel5 New Member

May 27, 2012
    Still has a long way to go to take over laptops market